'C'mon the Mo' 2017-18

Clyde fans gleefully sounding off about official Mo Twitter criticism of referee. If club is fined it is a pity but a silly mistake to make. Still, not that big a deal in the scheme of things. A couple of points dropped but I think Clyde away was never going to be a stroll in the park. Whatever happens on Tuesday, we need to maintain the momentum built up so far. Every game is important. There are no easy games for the rest of the season.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Clyde fans gleefully sounding off about official Mo Twitter criticism of referee. If club is fined it is a pity but a silly mistake to make. Still, not that big a deal in the scheme of things. A couple of points dropped but I think Clyde away was never going to be a stroll in the park. Whatever happens on Tuesday, we need to maintain the momentum built up so far. Every game is important. There are no easy games for the rest of the season.

Seems bizarre, I can't remember anything controversial about the match at all. It was probably the easiest game to referee that he'll have all season.

Montrose, as expected, were solid today, never in danger of losing but never in danger of winning either. Given that we've drawn with both Stirling and Stenny since Chapman left and only conceded one goal from open play in 4, then I'd dispute that it's two points dropped though.

The tweet said the ref was our 12th man at half time and “shocking refereeing” at the end [emoji23]. The SFA might see that as a big deal. Utterly bizarre comments in the context of the match.

As an aside, Montrose have came on leaps and bounds over the last year. As far as looking for an example of what a manager can do for a team then there it is. From today, you look like your missing a goalscorer. I’ve not seen the stats but until Templeman came on I wasn’t worried about conceding.

9 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

The tweet said the ref was our 12th man at half time and “shocking refereeing” at the end emoji23.png. The SFA might see that as a big deal. Utterly bizarre comments in the context of the match.

As an aside, Montrose have came on leaps and bounds over the last year. As far as looking for an example of what a manager can do for a team then there it is. From today, you look like your missing a goalscorer. I’ve not seen the stats but until Templeman came on I wasn’t worried about conceding.

Yup. We've had no fewer than five 1-0 victories in the league this year.

We may be top but Stirling and Peterhead have far superior goal differences and I fear that's what it may come down to at the end of the season.

Yup. We've had no fewer than five 1-0 victories in the league this year.
We may be top but Stirling and Peterhead have far superior goal differences and I fear that's what it may come down to at the end of the season.

Play like we did today and you have f**k all to fear off us.

First place teams in English and Scottish leagues and their goal difference...English Premier League +35 goal difference (14 games); Championship +23 (19); League One +24 (19); League Two +30 (20). Scottish Premiership +28 (15); Championship +6 (15); League One +26 (15); League Two +5 (14).

Only Dundee United as top team anywhere as poor a goal difference as us.

I was a bit surprised at a couple of the twitter comments myself. They're hardly over the top or offensive, and I'm sure the ref hears worse through the game. Nonetheless I don't think they were appropriate. Shame as I use the twitter updates when working away as I am at the moment.
Regarding the result, a draw away at Clyde isn't too bad with the change of management they have had. I feel they will take points off all clubs and start moving upwards as the season progresses.
Said that last year mind.

The laddie doing the Twitter is only 14 and made a genuine mistake not knowing he shouldn't criticize officials. If that's enough to get a fine they need to look at media criticism of officials over the last week alone. Ref yesterday did seem to give a lot of 50/50 challenges to the home team but in the end no-one did enough for the 3 points

27 minutes ago, hellohellohowdoudo said:

The laddie doing the Twitter is only 14 and made a genuine mistake not knowing he shouldn't criticize officials. If that's enough to get a fine they need to look at media criticism of officials over the last week alone. Ref yesterday did seem to give a lot of 50/50 challenges to the home team but in the end no-one did enough for the 3 points

Lay off him ya Clyde bullies! :D

On 03/12/2017 at 03:30, Elementary Penguin said:

Your lads were a credit to your answer to almost going down three years ago, proof the pyramid can work for all teams. But you are very, very average and beige....functional. I still can't pick my league winners yet. 

Please do not make the mistake of crediting the pyramid system for Montrose's change in fortunes. That is a total non sequitur.

The pyramid may or may not be a good idea but it certainly has not led to a change in Montrose's fortunes. The narrative that Montrose languished at the bottom of the lowest division for years, secure in the knowledge they would never be relegated is the kind of fake history, favoured by simplistic ideologists. 

It is not rocket science. It is not magic or good luck. It is not "the pyramid system".

The reasons are found in a host of other clubs operating on very slender resources.

The club's improvements are due to a great deal of dedication, sacrifice and hard work by real servants and supporters of the club.

As for Montrose being "very, very average and beige... functional": you are of course entitled to your opinion but for now, being and remaining at or near the top of the league is the main priority.

The result tonight could have been better but it could have been worse. Now the game in hand is no longer hanging over us, the Mo can kick on and focus on winning each game as it comes. 

Could have been far worse for us, we were lucky it was only 1. Not looking forward to your visit on the 23rd...

6 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Could have been far worse for us, we were lucky it was only 1. Not looking forward to your visit on the 23rd...

Peterhead are by far the best team in the league. Just hope we can keep it as close as possible for as long as possible.

3 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Peterhead are by far the best team in the league. Just hope we can keep it as close as possible for as long as possible.

Really? We are not talking Man City here are we? McAlister has hit some form but isn't this essentially the same team relegated last season? What other evidence can you provide to justify your description? They are ahead of the Mo on goal difference. Most of these goals have come from one player. 

You could argue we are too dependent on Templeman but we are far from being a one trick pony. Are we over-reliant on talismans as the likes of Clyde are with Goodwillie? Or are we scared of losing too many of our loan players?

I can only comment based on highlights and stats but surely we aren't as far behind Peterhead as you suggest?

Would they really be anything that special without McAlister? I get fed up with seeing his face on the League 2 section of the BBC sport website. He certainly seems their poster boy but he isn't exactly Neymar is he?

29 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Really? We are not talking Man City here are we? McAlister has hit some form but isn't this essentially the same team relegated last season? What other evidence can you provide to justify your description? They are ahead of the Mo on goal difference. Most of these goals have come from one player. 

You could argue we are too dependent on Templeman but we are far from being a one trick pony. Are we over-reliant on talismans as the likes of Clyde are with Goodwillie? Or are we scared of losing too many of our loan players?

I can only comment based on highlights and stats but surely we aren't as far behind Peterhead as you suggest?

Would they really be anything that special without McAlister? I get fed up with seeing his face on the League 2 section of the BBC sport website. He certainly seems their poster boy but he isn't exactly Neymar is he?

Okay, maybe I over-exagerated by saying 'by far' but I still think that they have a better first team than we do. The likes of Gibson and Riley are very good players at this level, McCracken, Stevenson and Ferry too. And McAllister is probably the best striker in this league and would probably be one of the better strikers in League One too. The problem might be that if they were to suffer a few injuries to some of the key players in the first team then they might not have the same strength in depth. I don't know that much about Peterhead but would probably say that they have the better first team but we have better strength in depth, if that makes sense. The key for Peterhead would be keeping the first team fit and injury free.

I agree that without McAllister's goals, Peterhead would not be that special, but they still have a strong team. And they probably (again, I am only guessing here as I don't know that much about Peterhead) have a much higher budget than us and would be able to strengthen in January if required or pick up any free agents the rest of the season due to the wages they can offer.

Templeman is an important player for us, and I agree that although he would be a big loss, he is not the only threat we have up front. A fit and motivated Gary Fraser can score goals. CJ can also score, as can Hay. I'm yet to be totally convinced by McLaren but there is something there. What we lack is a goalscorer like McAllister, someone who you could rely on to score virtually every week with decent service.

The key difference in our favour is Stewart Petrie. The difference he has made since he has come in has been amazing. I think he is a better manager than McInally, with the budget he has and the players at his disposal, McInally should (in my limited opinion) be doing much better than they are.

So, in short, you're right that Peterhead are not that far ahead of us but I would still say that they have the better first team and provided they stay injury free should be favourites for the title. That doesn't necessarily mean they will win the league though.

Archived