Tellys

ftk

On 28/12/2020 at 15:25, welshbairn said:

Looks a good deal, £100-150 cheaper than elsewhere, if you remember to claim the discount. I had a good look through the reviews of different brands and Samsung seemed the most consistently good for lower end prices. 

Our last 2 Samsung TV'S have been awful,65in that cost £1300 only lasted 14 month before it dropped pixels and the last one a 55in Curve developed a T-Roc problem after 15 months,both times Samsung went tough out of warranty so never again will i buy one.

Went back to LG

1 hour ago, keithgy said:

Our last 2 Samsung TV'S have been awful,65in that cost £1300 only lasted 14 month before it dropped pixels and the last one a 55in Curve developed a T-Roc problem after 15 months,both times Samsung went tough out of warranty so never again will i buy one.

Went back to LG

Cheers m8. ;)

• 1 month later...

Moving down south and likely leaving my tele behind. I've had it for 5 year and recently upgraded to the next gen of consoles. Ideally looking for a 4k tele or monitor and not overly bothered with it being huge given I might need to move around a fair bit over the next few year. This is quite a broad question but any advice? I find it hard to work out what to look for given 4k appears to be priced anywhere from a couple of hundred quid to  a few grand. I've put away a decent whack of cash over the last year or so but would rather spend below 500 although I guess if it's unavoidable I could go up to a grand if it meant getting something decent for a few year.

57 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Moving down south and likely leaving my tele behind. I've had it for 5 year and recently upgraded to the next gen of consoles. Ideally looking for a 4k tele or monitor and not overly bothered with it being huge given I might need to move around a fair bit over the next few year. This is quite a broad question but any advice? I find it hard to work out what to look for given 4k appears to be priced anywhere from a couple of hundred quid to  a few grand. I've put away a decent whack of cash over the last year or so but would rather spend below 500 although I guess if it's unavoidable I could go up to a grand if it meant getting something decent for a few year.

Find an LG at the size you want for around £500 and you cant really go wrong.

Dont be tempted by the cheaper Hisenses etc and if you want to push your budget go for an OLED screen

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 65” Samsung 4K QLED telly from Richer Sounds last month. Got one with freesat built in for connecting up my old Sky dish too.
Richer Sounds tend to be the same price as everyone else but often throw in a 6 year warranty.

Bought a 55” LG from them 18 months ago for my man cave as well.

• 2 years later...

Hi folks. Bit of a thread resurrection here, but given the post a couple above this one by @Homer Thompson which is a couple of years old I thought I'd ask!

Our Sony Bravia is on the blink. I think it's about 7/8 years old. It's taking ages to switch between applications and seems to not fancy showing iPlayer at all.  Comes on with the annoying "android" multi colour waste of time every time it switches on and has a black screen as if it's looking for updates.

Mrs Salt 'n Vinegar has been on line and discussing replacements with younger son who seems to be quite tech savvy.  They've been considering a brand/make I've never heard of - HISENSE, in particular this one ...

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hisense-55u8hqtuk-55-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-miniled-uled-tv-with-amazon-alexa-and-google-assistant-10240185.html which has a 5 year warranty.

Anyone got that brand and/or model and able to give a view? Are HISENSE any better now than in 2020 EDIT 2021 when Homer posted?

Cheers!

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2023 at 05:26, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hi folks. Bit of a thread resurrection here, but given the post a couple above this one by @Homer Thompson which is a couple of years old I thought I'd ask!

Our Sony Bravia is on the blink. I think it's about 7/8 years old. It's taking ages to switch between applications and seems to not fancy showing iPlayer at all.  Comes on with the annoying "android" multi colour waste of time every time it switches on and has a black screen as if it's looking for updates.

Mrs Salt 'n Vinegar has been on line and discussing replacements with younger son who seems to be quite tech savvy.  They've been considering a brand/make I've never heard of - HISENSE, in particular this one ...

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hisense-55u8hqtuk-55-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-miniled-uled-tv-with-amazon-alexa-and-google-assistant-10240185.html which has a 5 year warranty.

Anyone got that brand and/or model and able to give a view? Are HISENSE any better now than in 2020 EDIT 2021 when Homer posted?

Cheers!

Don’t know about Hisense with Alexa, but the Roku one I had for three years was flawless, and apparently soldiers on with the ex. Right now I have a 55” TCL Roku unit, and it’s outstanding. TCL and Hisense compete for the value buyers, and TCL tend to be less bright while the Hisense units tend to have motion issues…give and take, but the new TCL units have all been smashing the reviews. The Roku interface is simple and intuitive, and the TV was a great value…honestly, going into a shop with multiple units playing is the best choice to “see”.

Regardless of the TV, if it’s a flat panel, an inexpensive sound bar is an excellent investment…something like the Vizio M-series soundbar M213AD-K8 can be found for a good bit under £200 and transforms the sound. The newer flat panels just don’t have enough space to get good sound, and most is focused down.

On 28/10/2023 at 11:26, Salt n Vinegar said:

Cheers!

I just got a Hisense and ots been great 

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hisense-55u7kqtuk-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-miniled-tv-with-amazon-alexa-10250360.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2020 at 12:07, welshbairn said:

Noticed that the main retailers have identical prices for the sales so just went ahead and bought this one from John Lewis, Currys and Argos had sold out.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue43tu7100-2020-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-inch-with-tvplus-silver/p4929566

Seeing as we’ve brought this thread back from the dead, I’ve got the 2022 version of this and it’s excellent.  So +1 for entry level Samsungs.  

• 3 weeks later...