Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

5 minutes ago, PRS said:

What was the crowd? Looked a good attendance from the highlights

I am not sure what the crowd was yesterday, but it was good as you suggested. 

On the side of the dugouts, there were about 80 - 100  standing, but couldn’t count the other side of the pitch as that is where I was standing.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two ex- Penicuik players lined up against each other yesterday. Ryan Gay with his first game for Musselburgh and  Ryan McCallum making his debut for Tranent. Who made the best contribution for their respective new teams. 

I would give the nod to Ryan Gay, who was much more in the game that McCallum and his free kick led to Musselburgh’s first goal. 

5 hours ago, brycey said:

the signs r defo nae guid fir tranent the noo efter winnin twae cups last seeson n a woodve put them fir a mid table finish at the very least this seeson its jist no happenin fir them the noo lets hope awebuddy poos the gither n preserves there premier league status cos droppin back doon intae the south wid b a disaster 

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed Brycey. Don’t know what went on, but with the two cup successes last season, very surprised why the previous management team felt they had to leave! Tranent are in freefall just now with 7 recent defeats. 

However, no way could Musselburgh feel sorry for them yesterday, and another great result for the Burgh with the 2-0 win.

Tight game yesterday and I've obviously got blue tinted glasses on but I felt that we deserved to win it.

It's marked though the difference in attitudes.  We battled last season and couldn't quite do enough to avoid relegation, player of the year dance that night and there was a sense there that we were already rallying.  Talking to players and management we as supporters wanted them to stay for this season and the players were adamant that they were and were going to give it their best shot in getting us straight back.  Often that would've changed after the emotion of that day but it didn't here, the players and management have stuck by us and have put in a great first half of the season.  The supporters recognise that and we're grateful for it.

Tranent had a great year last year but already there are signs that there's tensions there.  Change of management again and the exodus yesterday after the team put in a decent performance suggests that all might not be well.   Tranent are a good club with many decent people there but you get a palpable sense that there's often attempts to look at other clubs and pick fault there when there might be more to gain from uniting your own club behind a common purpose.

You won't find anybody at Musselburgh that isn't 100% behind Calvin, Geordie and the rest of the coaching staff and committee, they aren't infallible but they're knocking their pans in trying to get it right for our club.  Laughable that people are coming on here and question The Burgh when they would love to have that  unity at their club.

31 minutes ago, RobM said:

Tight game yesterday and I've obviously got blue tinted glasses on but I felt that we deserved to win it.

It's marked though the difference in attitudes.  We battled last season and couldn't quite do enough to avoid relegation, player of the year dance that night and there was a sense there that we were already rallying.  Talking to players and management we as supporters wanted them to stay for this season and the players were adamant that they were and were going to give it their best shot in getting us straight back.  Often that would've changed after the emotion of that day but it didn't here, the players and management have stuck by us and have put in a great first half of the season.  The supporters recognise that and we're grateful for it.

Tranent had a great year last year but already there are signs that there's tensions there.  Change of management again and the exodus yesterday after the team put in a decent performance suggests that all might not be well.   Tranent are a good club with many decent people there but you get a palpable sense that there's often attempts to look at other clubs and pick fault there when there might be more to gain from uniting your own club behind a common purpose.

You won't find anybody at Musselburgh that isn't 100% behind Calvin, Geordie and the rest of the coaching staff and committee, they aren't infallible but they're knocking their pans in trying to get it right for our club.  Laughable that people are coming on here and question The Burgh when they would love to have that  unity at their club.

Elegantly said Rob. I bit my tongue  ( or hid my typing finger 24 to 48 hours) before yesterday’s match, particularly with one Tranent poster. Yesterday morning I was ready to do my right of reply, but remembered what Burnie said a few weeks ago. He wrote that he always waited for the next day to write his match report as any passion/thoughts after the match would have gone somewhat, and so he would then write a reasonably balanced report. 

After the 2-0 victory, I couldn’t hide my delight at the match, and in my posts last night. Didn’t wait as long as Burnie would, but prior to the match, may have written something I shouldn’t have.

Yesterday I felt we were the better side, but I also think that we wanted to win more. Look at the Evening news report from Chris Gray who mentions Eck Christie and Ian Black as two of his oldest / best friends. I also think he comes from Tranent (?) Yet if you watched the way he played, and what he was saying / shouting to his own players, particularly in the 1st half, you saw what the result meant to him.

Ewan Ralton, could easily take the huff, as more than not he is a sub,. Yet for the time he was on the park, there was no doubt he was Musselburgh’s best player, and scored a magnificent solo goal. 

I have a rule that no matter what the score, I won’t leave the ground until after the final whistle. I might get annoyed at our players, but they give there all week in, week out. Perhaps this year is easier with the results the players are producing, but last year must have been as bad for the players as it was for the supporters.

As soon as Ralts scored, Tranent fans left in their droves, offering no encouragement to their players. Certainly no appreciation there. 

Calvin, Geordie and the other coaches are brilliant at what they do. At Olivebank I stand opposite the dugouts. At away games half and half I will stand near the dugout. No matter where Musselburgh play,  I either see or hear the encouragement, particularly that Calvin gives the players, whatever the score is. I think players respond to that. The p1sh spouted about players unhappy that they are not being paid, and that our defeat at Kirriemuir was somehow linked to that just riled me. I have no idea about the finances of our club, but never do I see at any match ( we hammered Kirriemuir with our performance, albeit not the result), and particularly yesterday, where any player down tools cause they are unhappy. There is a closeness around the club, that I think would be hard to beat elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Great result at the weekend against Tranent.

Now followed up with the better news that Calvin Shand and Kevin McDonald have extended their deals to remain as the management team of Musselburgh Athletic. Onwards and upwards!

Fantastic news, know they both love being at the club and I can't think of a better team than both Calvin and Geordie but everybody else on the coaching side.

Before the dust completely settles on Saturday it should be mentioned that Ryan did a fantastic job stepping in in goals, for someone who's not played in a wee while there was never any sense that he was anything but confident and able and he had a couple of decent stops.  Nice one Ryan. 

I hope Musselburgh come back up as champions as in my opinion they we’re unfairly treated last season. Looks like a two horse race for second between the Hoose and Haddington although Tayport could take advantage if both were to falter. 

I hope Musselburgh come back up as champions as in my opinion they we’re unfairly treated last season. Looks like a two horse race for second between the Hoose and Haddington although Tayport could take advantage if both were to falter. 

I am not sure we were unfairly treated. Started off the season well, but unfortunately, from the middle to end of October went on a terrible run of results.

Then we started to redeem ourselves and only needed 1 point from last 3 games to be safe but got 0! That was a sore one particularly the last match against Jeanfield.

However, Musselburgh regrouped with only 2 players leaving at season end and with some additions to the squad, are now showing Premier league how good we are! I am certain that when we return to Super League next year we will give a much better account of ourselves.
The continuation of the management team is a major factor and I hope players remain to show that last season was one big blip!

Toffee it’s 2 down and 3rd bottom go into a play-off against 3rd top of the Premier. Last season we all knew K£lty  were leaving so surely it should have only been one down and 2nd bottom into the play-off to keep the numbers the same. Instead Newtongrange played and lost the play-off even before Bonnyrigg had completed there season and were then saved from the drop due to THEM fucking off. 

39 minutes ago, HawHaw said:

Toffee it’s 2 down and 3rd bottom go into a play-off against 3rd top of the Premier. Last season we all knew K£lty  were leaving so surely it should have only been one down and 2nd bottom into the play-off to keep the numbers the same. Instead Newtongrange played and lost the play-off even before Bonnyrigg had completed there season and were then saved from the drop due to THEM fucking off. 

Hi HawHaw - I take your point, and in that scenario you would be correct!

I think we all knew that Kelty were leaving the Juniors, but, I am not sure when it was actually confirmed that Kelty were resigning from the Juniors.

if I remember correctly, it was after Newtongrange had played their play off match against Forfar. As Forfar beat Newtongrange, they were promoted from the play-off position. At that point,  Kelty moved over.

Then you had the idiotic shout of Tranent stating that as 4th place in the Premier league, it should be them promoted, whilst Fauldhouse, Musselburgh and Nitten go down.  Obviously The Junior FA deemed that Nitten should stay up.

The fact that Forfar won the play-off, it would then be unfair of the Junior FA to say, that Forfar should then play us in a 2nd play off - hence why we went down.

Of course, I stand to be corrected if I am wrong with any of my timings.

Will the same happen this year when/if Dalkeith go. Willing to bet only the bottom 3 go down. Anyhow it is too their credit Musselburgh accepted it. I know if we had finished 3rd bottom we would have been protesting that we took our place in the play-off against Forfar. 

47 minutes ago, HawHaw said:

Will the same happen this year when/if Dalkeith go. Willing to bet only the bottom 3 go down. Anyhow it is too their credit Musselburgh accepted it. I know if we had finished 3rd bottom we would have been protesting that we took our place in the play-off against Forfar. 

Musselburgh finished 2nd bottom, got relegated, and nobody had any complaints at the time.  It was fair.

14 minutes ago, db11 said:

If nitten had won the play off it would have made things interesting.

Fwe promoted, mussie stay up or a playoff?

What are the league rules...?

Just thinking if it happens again this season but 2 or 3 SL clubs follow Kelty, do the top 3 go up and no relegation?

20 minutes ago, HawHaw said:

But you don’t know the league rules. Aye very good.

They're on the East Region Website, bottom 2 teams automatically relegated:

e. Promotion and Relegation. The promotion and relegation, effective from the end of Season 2017/18, will be as follows:

1. Super League: Bottom 2 teams automatically relegated to the Premier League. 3rd bottom of Super League will play 3rd top of Premier League in 2 legged play-off.

23 minutes ago, HawHaw said:

But you don’t know the league rules. Aye very good.

I don't, but i'd have to assume the assoc. followed the rules at the time otherwise there would have been a challenge. 

I was just saying that it was fair they were relegated, before db11 raised his point.

I suspect the playoff wouldn't have happened if Kelty had announced their intention to leave at that point - forfar would have gone straight up.

Archived