Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

So, to the match.

Musselburgh seem to have picked on its best 11 or 12 players, according to the management team, with Jed Davie being the absent 12th man! I wouldn’t argue with the majority of these players, though I would always have Skip in my team! 

Anyway, when the match kicked off, for the first 10 minutes, it all seemed to be Musselburgh as the dominant team. Then, the lights seemed to go out, with the rest of the half going to Fauldhouse. 

Although Musselburgh had most of the initial play, the first real chance fell to Fauldhouse, in around 10 mins, with their number 11, Bennett, having a great chance to put The Hoose 1-0 up, but Ally Adams, dived to his left for a great save. A couple of minutes later, another shot but this time, the ball went soaring over the Burgh bar.

Musselburgh’s first real chance came in 16mins when from a corner kick, the ball came to Jonno, but with the ball hitting either his head or chest, the shot went just past the post.

By this time, Fauldhouse were on the ascendancy, and in 18minutes, from the Fauldhouse keeper, ball went up left wing, and the no. 9 had a shot which went across the penalty box; and a minute later, the no.6 got the ball passed the Burgh defence, but hit his shot straight to Ally.

In 25 minutes, a throw in from Michael, the ball came to Matti, who hit a shot, but keeper was close by, and put it out for a corner. From there, ball played to Brad D whose shot went way over bar.

In 30 mins,  a breakaway up the field by the Hoose,  ball to Bennett, for shot which Ally dived for an easy save.

A couple of of shots by opposing sides, saw shots again go over the bar. Game was fast flowing now, and in 41minutes, the no. 5 met the ball from a cross, when just about on the couch line, but his header went just by the wrong side of post for the Hoose. A couple of minutes later, and another attack by Fauldhouse, but from within the penalty box, the ball again went over the bar.

So, half time, and perhaps one of the Burgh’s poorest 45mins of season, And Fauldhouse must have wondered how the match was still 0-0. Had they had their scoring boots on....?

Second half was much better for Musselburgh.  However, first chance again went to the Hoose, who should have went 1-0 up but the no.7 hit a poor shot straight to Ally. 

Musselburgh had a couple of shots, again both going over the bar, and then came the first goal of the game. Ball came to the Hoose, no.9, in the box, who turned the defender, shot past Ally’s right had side and inside the post to go 1-0 up.  However, this was shortly follwwed by an equaliser by the dependable Matti, who rounded the keeper and shot to make it 1-1. Matti was as animated as I have ever seen him, as were a number of players, which showed just how much the equaliser meant to the team.

In 60minutes Gary C went off for Skip, and soon after Bradley W had a shot which brought out a great save by the Hoose keeper. 

In 62mins, their no.7 was needlessly booked for staying to close to the ball when a free kick was awarded. 5 mins later and sub for the Hoose- no. 12 on for no. 10.

71mins saw Matti with another chance, but blocked by defender; then soon after Stephen made good move up left hand side, and ball into Matti, whose shot made a great save from their keeper. Matti then went off injured with Ralton replacing him.

In 78 mins, in quick succession the Hoose’s no. 7 & 11 had chances but nothing came of either.

Then in 82 mins, Musselburgh hit the bar, from a shot by Michael, following good play on the right hand side. A couple of minutes later Skip on left hand side had shot saved by keeper. In 83minutes, The Hoose had a good move down the left hand side, but in the penalty box, Brad made a great saving tackle. Then up the other end, Ralton ran into the box, with keeper coming out to make a sliding save. With 3mims left, same player had another shot which went just wide.

in 88 minutes, the number 3, for the Hoose, Brown, who for me was their best player, was subbed, with the no. 14 coming on. This was soon followed with Michael being booked for a late tackle.

Final whistle went with score 1-1. Not sure what was said at half time, but what an improvement in the 2nd half for Musselburgh. At half time, you would easily have said if there was going to be a winner, that the boys in Red would be victorious. Overall, I would say that a draw was the right result, and with 3rd place Haddington also drawing, no change in the top 3 of the premier league. 

Some supporters were saying that the pitch was probably too heavy for the match to have gone ahead. I say, that whilst not vintage football; given the amount of shots by both sides, albeit that most didn’t hit the target, and the fact that the ball went from end to end so many times, that the right decision was made. Well done to the committee, and well done to both teams for putting on a good match. 

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Toffee fan said:

Ha ha brycey. Hop ul bith sides e mone-in at the end oh 90 mins. 

Mone the Burgh!

crackin advert fir junyer fitba oan a hevvy pitch brother add in a ref hoo wis top drawer draw jist aboot a fare result a rekkon bit credit tae baith sides hoo played wae grate spirrit we r the peeple aye mone the hoose

So, to the match.
Musselburgh seem to have picked on its best 11 or 12 players, according to the management team, with Jed Davie being the absent 12th man! I wouldn’t argue with the majority of these players, though I would always have Skip in my team! 
Anyway, when the match kicked off, for the first 10 minutes, it all seemed to be Musselburgh as the dominant team. Then, the lights seemed to go out, with the rest of the half going to Fauldhouse. 
Although Musselburgh had most of the initial play, the first real chance fell to Fauldhouse, in around 10 mins, with their number 11, Bennett, having a great chance to put The Hoose 1-0 up, but Ally Adams, dived to his left for a great save. A couple of minutes later, another shot but this time, the ball went soaring over the Burgh bar.
Musselburgh’s first real chance came in 16mins when from a corner kick, the ball came to Jonno, but with the ball hitting either his head or chest, the shot went just past the post.
By this time, Fauldhouse were on the ascendancy, and in 18minutes, from the Fauldhouse keeper, ball went up left wing, and the no. 9 had a shot which went across the penalty box; and a minute later, the no.6 got the ball passed the Burgh defence, but hit his shot straight to Ally.
In 25 minutes, a throw in from Michael, the ball came to Matti, who hit a shot, but keeper was close by, and put it out for a corner. From there, ball played to Brad D whose shot went way over bar.
In 30 mins,  a breakaway up the field by the Hoose,  ball to Bennett, for shot which Ally dived for an easy save.
A couple of of shots by opposing sides, saw shots again go over the bar. Game was fast flowing now, and in 41minutes, the no. 5 met the ball from a cross, when just about on the couch line, but his header went just by the wrong side of post for the Hoose. A couple of minutes later, and another attack by Fauldhouse, but from within the penalty box, the ball again went over the bar.
So, half time, and perhaps one of the Burgh’s poorest 45mins of season, And Fauldhouse must have wondered how the match was still 0-0. Had they had their scoring boots on....?
Second half was much better for Musselburgh.  However, first chance again went to the Hoose, who should have went 1-0 up but the no.7 hit a poor shot straight to Ally. 
Musselburgh had a couple of shots, again both going over the bar, and then came the first goal of the game. Ball came to the Hoose, no.9, in the box, who turned the defender, shot past Ally’s right had side and inside the post to go 1-0 up.  However, this was shortly follwwed by an equaliser by the dependable Matti, who rounded the keeper and shot to make it 1-1. Matti was as animated as I have ever seen him, as were a number of players, which showed just how much the equaliser meant to the team.
In 60minutes Gary C went off for Skip, and soon after Bradley W had a shot which brought out a great save by the Hoose keeper. 
In 62mins, their no.7 was needlessly booked for staying to close to the ball when a free kick was awarded. 5 mins later and sub for the Hoose- no. 12 on for no. 10.
71mins saw Matti with another chance, but blocked by defender; then soon after Stephen made good move up left hand side, and ball into Matti, whose shot made a great save from their keeper. Matti then went off injured with Ralton replacing him.
In 78 mins, in quick succession the Hoose’s no. 7 & 11 had chances but nothing came of either.
Then in 82 mins, Musselburgh hit the bar, from a shot by Michael, following good play on the right hand side. A couple of minutes later Skip on left hand side had shot saved by keeper. In 83minutes, The Hoose had a good move down the left hand side, but in the penalty box, Brad made a great saving tackle. Then up the other end, Ralton ran into the box, with keeper coming out to make a sliding save. With 3mims left, same player had another shot which went just wide.
in 88 minutes, the number 3, for the Hoose, Brown, who for me was their best player, was subbed, with the no. 14 coming on. This was soon followed with Michael being booked for a late tackle.
Final whistle went with score 1-1. Not sure what was said at half time, but what an improvement in the 2nd half for Musselburgh. At half time, you would easily have said if there was going to be a winner, that the boys in Red would be victorious. Overall, I would say that a draw was the right result, and with 3rd place Haddington also drawing, no change in the top 3 of the premier league. 
Some supporters were saying that the pitch was probably too heavy for the match to have gone ahead. I say, that whilst not vintage football; given the amount of shots by both sides, albeit that most didn’t hit the target, and the fact that the ball went from end to end so many times, that the right decision was made. Well done to the committee, and well done to both teams for putting on a good match. 

Cracking report zero complaints [emoji106]

9 minutes ago, brycey said:

crackin advert fir junyer fitba oan a hevvy pitch brother add in a ref hoo wis top drawer draw jist aboot a fare result a rekkon bit credit tae baith sides hoo played wae grate spirrit we r the peeple aye mone the hoose

Spoat oan ther man. Thoot it wiz a grate advert fur footbaw, in testin condishins. Aye, a also ken wit yeah meen  about a fare result and a reckon both teams will be jumpin at the bit tae show these super leagers come next awegust how we shook have still been in the top leegue this year. Glad yeah enjoyed it brycey, just a bit disapointit a didnae here year dulcit shouts face the stond this efternoon! 

Supporters player of the match award went to Michael Moffat.

Given the first half performance of our team, I think Amy Lou must have thought ‘why the hell is it my week to choose’ . Few players to pick from.  

Ally probably thinks I am a pr1ck for my comments on him. Again this week he kicked the ball out of bounds, when it would just be as easy to kick it a few feet out for a throw in. I genuinely think that for kicks out of the perimeter of the ground, anyone (whichever position he plays in) who does that should either be made to do a forfeit at training, or be made to get the ball at end of match, if it  hasn’t been retrieved already.

HOWEVER, Ally also made a great diving save to his left hand side, from their number 11 (Bennett), that wasn’t bettered elsewhere by us in the first half. For that, I would have had him in mind for the player of the match, at that point.

But in the Second half, the performance from the team improved immensely, and Michael is such an important team player. He usually wins his tackles, good in defence, and always looking to move forward to help the team score a goal. All that and his shot which came off the bar, merited his man of the match award.

So, good choice Amy Lou and I doubt anyone could argue with you!

Supporters player of the match award went to Michael Moffat.
Given the first half performance of our team, I think Amy Lou must have thought ‘why the hell is it my week to choose’ . Few players to pick from.  
Ally probably thinks I am a pr1ck for my comments on him. Again this week he kicked the ball out of bounds, when it would just be as easy to kick it a few feet out for a throw in. I genuinely think that for kicks out of the perimeter of the ground, anyone (whichever position he plays in) who does that should either be made to do a forfeit at training, or be made to get the ball at end of match, if it  hasn’t been retrieved already.
HOWEVER, Ally also made a great diving save to his left hand side, from their number 11 (Bennett), that wasn’t bettered elsewhere by us in the first half. For that, I would have had him in mind for the player of the match, at that point.
But in the Second half, the performance from the team improved immensely, and Michael is such an important team player. He usually wins his tackles, good in defence, and always looking to move forward to help the team score a goal. All that and his shot which came off the bar, merited his man of the match award.
So, good choice Amy Lou and I doubt anyone could argue with you!

Thanks Toffee, could’ve gave it to a few players after the second half performance. #montheburgh

So, to the match.

Great write up. And a great game. Always love going to The Hoose - good folk up there [emoji106]

10 hours ago, Toffee fan said:

Spoat oan ther man. Thoot it wiz a grate advert fur footbaw, in testin condishins. Aye, a also ken wit yeah meen  about a fare result and a reckon both teams will be jumpin at the bit tae show these super leagers come next awegust how we shook have still been in the top leegue this year. Glad yeah enjoyed it brycey, just a bit disapointit a didnae here year dulcit shouts face the stond this efternoon! 

weel awbuddy else hert me shoutin a wis in fool flo lol

3 hours ago, brycey said:

weel awbuddy else hert me shoutin a wis in fool flo lol

Well sorry a didnae here yeah!

On reflection, with only St Andrews picking up a win, from the original top 8, from yesterday morning, both Musselburgh and Fauldhouse will be satisfied with the 1-1 draw.

On 07/11/2017 at 20:19, ex-german exile said:

What sort of support would you expect to bring to Hurlford?

Weather looks awful this week in your neck of the woods. What do you think are the chances of the cup match taking place on Saturday?

Weather looks awful this week in your neck of the woods. What do you think are the chances of the cup match taking place on Saturday?

18° and 9 hours sunshine here today mate, but unfortunately I'm in Heidelberg not Hurlford ????️????️

I was told last Saturday that any rain would put the match in doubt, but that the groundsmen were hoping to get the drainage company that did the work in the summer out this week. Haven't heard anything since as like I said above I'm working away this week.

A postponement would suit you though as didn't you say you can't make it this week?

30 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

18° and 9 hours sunshine here today mate, but unfortunately I'm in Heidelberg not Hurlford 

I was told last Saturday that any rain would put the match in doubt, but that the groundsmen were hoping to get the drainage company that did the work in the summer out this week. Haven't heard anything since as like I said above I'm working away this week.

A postponement would suit you though as didn't you say you can't make it this week?

Lucky you! It was sunny in my neck of the woods today, but with it only being 3 degrees, not heat at all from the sun!

Don’t like to see matches postponed, but for this week only, I’d be happy!

Archived