Musselburgh Athletic 2017/18

Benny The Fish

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was Musselburgh’s 11th league win in 12 matches this season, .

Downfield were the visitors to Olivebank today, and had the first real chance of the match in the 3rd minute. With the ball hit high towards our goal area. Ally Adams came out of his box to header the ball away, when one 1 on 1 with a Downfield attacker, so saved the day!

On 8 minutes, Musselburgh were awarded a free kick just outside the Downfield penalty box. In the reverse fixture, in Dundee,  in the middle of September, Conor Thomson scored from a similar free kick, but this time, his shot went just over the bar.

The 1st goal of the game, came in 27 minutes. Following good play, with a 1-2 between Michael Moffat and Mathu King, Michael  had a great chance to score, but the ball was blocked. There were a couple of attempts in quick succession, during the same period of play, and then the ball fell to Gary Cherrie who scored from close range. 

A couple of minutes later, it could have been 2-0, but just when the ball came to Matti, he slipped, so couldn’t get any power in his shot. Then with a minute to go to half time, Matti was 1 on 1 with the goalie but, he made a good save.

Into the 2nd half, and within 5 minutes, Musselburgh were 2-0 up. There was good play on the left hand side of the pitch,  with Jed hitting a great pass, to Connor, who was on right hand side of the penalty box. His cross into the centre, was met with a header from Matti, and ball in the net.

Matti could have had his 2nd goal in 69 minutes, when he collected the ball,  with his back to the goals. He turned and shot, but the ball just missed the left hand side of the post.

His 2nd goal did come in 76 minutes. Jonno played a great pass to Michael, down the right wing, and he went past a Downfield defender, and hit a low cross in the penalty area, which fell to Matti to score.

So, at 3-0 Musselburgh appeared to be coasting to victory. However, a couple of goals, firstly in 86 minutes by Downfield no. 6, and then in 4th minute of added time, by their no. 14, and match ended 3-2.

A well deserved victory.  With 34 points out of 36, Shandy and the team, must be very happy with the way the season is progressing.

Good performance against Downfield, though final score of 3-2 doesn’t reflect how much control we had in the match.

We played better today than we did against Tayport and Dunbar earlier in the season, and on both of these occasions we scored 6 goals.

Chris Gray was supporters club man of the match, and I wouldn’t argue with that. Thought Jed and Jonno had really good matches too, with Matti unlucky not to have scored at least too more goals.

Six out of the top seven teams in the league won yesterday. So, it shows the importance of Musselburgh keeping on winning, in order to stay at the top of the league.

Our next league match will be in a fortnight against 2nd place Fauldhouse. Should be a cracking match!

Scottish cup 3rd round draw Hurlford v Musselburgh Athletic Sat 25th November #montheburgh

Gutted that I can't make it! A stupid relative of mine chose to be born on that date 60 years ago. What are the chances of that happening again!

Just need to ensure that Burgh either win or get a draw so I can see replay!

11 hours ago, ex-german exile said:

What sort of support would you expect to bring to Hurlford?

I realty don't know - as said earlier, I can't make it as I have to be elsewhere before we would have returned back from the march.

The answer will depend if the Supporters club put on a bus for the match. Hopefully they will, since your team won the Junior Cup just over 3 years ago, and it gives Musselburgh a chance to see how they would fair this season against a Super League side.

Maybe someone will come on and give you a better answer that I have!

Back to Cup business on Saturday with Crossgates coming to Olivebank for 2nd round tie of East of Scotland cup tie.

Crossgates had a fab away win at Edinburgh United last week.

Musselburgh’s last two home matches have both resulted in 3-2 victories. Same again this weekend?

Musselburgh v Crossgates 11 November 2017 - Two good and Two bad (or maybe 3 good and 1 bad?)

Piper Ross MacHardy, playing at half time #Lestweforget

Lovely tribute - guys with the red and black scarfs on

Steve MacDonald’s middle-aged groupies shouting USA USA USA - thought this spectacle was usually reserved to youngsters!

What is it about Musselburgh - cup ties - penalties ! At least this had a better ending than the last one.

The supporters Club man of the match award took so long to be announced/ photographed that I thought either the club forgot about it, or deliberated as to if anyone merited the award! 

However, for the 2nd time this season, it was awarded to our goalkeeper, though this time, for Asher Tufail, who saved a penalty in the first five minutes of the match, and then another two in the penalty shootout. 

Well done Asher.

Ford have a hospitality package limited thru space to 20 participants. Details on website
http://www.hurlfordunited.com/index.html
Anyone interested PM me and I'll supply our chairman's phone number.

For fans just wanting a beer, the bar in the ground will be open from 12 on match day.

When I was a wee bit younger, I played team football regularly for about 15 years - I was quality if I say so myself - well no one else is going to say it!

Mainly played in defence, or sometimes in midfield, cause of my silky skills. Never played in goals (I) cause I wa cr@p in that position, and (II) if you are not the no.1 then it is the worst position to have in football, cause you seldom get match time!  

The last competitive match Asher Tufail played, was on 2nd September, in the 1st round of this cup away to St Andrews. Given that Crossgates, are in the South Division, the management team seemed confident enough to make six changes from last week’s match, with Asher being one of these players. With Mathu King on the subs bench, Michael Moffat was captain for the day. With it being 11 November, as with all other Junior football matches, there was a minute silence before kick-off.

Crossgates had an early chance, in 4 minutes, to go one nil up, as Bradley Donaldson, brought down a player in the penalty box. Asher made a great save. Although diving to his right, he saved the ball with his foot, and ball was cleared out for a throw-in. After this was taken, Asher made another save, so two shots on target, produced no goals for Crossgates.

Musselburgh’s first real chance for Musselburgh came in 17 minutes, when Jed Davie had a shot from outside the penalty area. However, the ball went over the bar. Then in 20 minutes, a move down the right hand side, saw Michael pass the ball to Stephen MacDonald, whose shot was saved by the goalkeeper.

In 26 minutes, a quick move down the centre of the pitch, found the no. 9 for Crossford just outside the box. He tried a wee chip over Asher, but the ball went over the bar. Seven minutes later,  Musselburgh went 1-0 up. Close to the penalty area, Gary Cherrie, chipped the ball to Stephen, who hit the ball across the right hand side of the goalkeeper and into the net. Stephen seems to have a bit of a cult following from a number of supporters, ( a bit older than the young team who stood there a couple of years ago) at the right hand side of the shed - who rejoiced in signing USA USA USA! Certainly doing their bit in making him feel at home!

In 36 minutes, Jed had a chance to make it 2-0, but his shot was easily saved by the keeper. Then two minutes later, the ball was in the Musselburgh box, but Michael slid in to prevent the ball coming over and out for a corner, which didn’t yield anything.

Second half started with Crossgates appearing to be in the ascendancy. In 58 minutes, from a Crossgates corner, Jed headed the ball off the goal line, but in the ensuing few seconds, the ball then came off the Musselburgh crossbar. With Crossgates still in attack, the next corner, required another clearance to stave off the chance of an equaliser.

In 65 minutes, good play by Skip, who eventually passed to Stephen, who crossed ball into penalty box from right hand side. The keeper just got the ball ahead of Mathu King, who was just on as sub.

Then in 67 minutes, probably a deserved equaliser came. There was a move up the left hand side, which came towards Andrew Watt, who chipped the ball, from the arc, outside the box, and ball ended up in the net. In the first half, the no. 9 took a wee bit of stick, in good fettle, from the cult group, regarding his liking for a pie or three. Now he was having his own bit of comeback!

There were a few other chances from either side, but match ended 1-1. In the Fife and Lothian’s cup match at Haddington, 24 penalties were taken, with Haddington eventually winning 10-9. Today, 10 penalties were taken, but this time, Musselburgh won 4-3, with penalties scored by; Matti, Stephen, Michael and Brad D!

Crossgates probably felt they should have taken something from the match, but onwards for Musselburgh, and into the next round of the East of Scotland cup!

Looking forward to Saturday's match already - firstly; receiving a warm welcome by my pal the gateman; and secondly, seeing the progression of JC's new(ish) team.

Fauldhouse (2nd) v Musselburgh (1st)

Fauldhouse have played 5 league matches at home this season,  winning 4 and losing 1. Goals for 16; Goals against 8.

Musselburgh have played 5 league matches away this season, winning all 5; Goals for 16; Goals against 2.

Just by going with the goals for stats, hopefully a high scoring match in prospect - and a bigger hope that Musselburgh come away from Park View with a victory, or at least keeping our undefeated tag, in the league intact.

Huge game this Saturday. Will Fauldhouses' pitch be playable though - that's the big question.

We got it vertidrained yesterday and seems to have worked today. I believe we have until tomorrow to try get the drainage issue resolved if not playable tomorrow tea time I believe a switch to mussy has been agreed. I'm very hopeful parkview will be playable

20 hours ago, jc1 said:

We got it vertidrained yesterday and seems to have worked today. I believe we have until tomorrow to try get the drainage issue resolved if not playable tomorrow tea time I believe a switch to mussy has been agreed. I'm very hopeful parkview will be playable

Nice one JC. Love a wee trip through to The Hoose - and the Howf.

Archived