FA Cup 2017/18

Eednud

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VAR used and worked regarding a goal been chopped for offside by linesman when in fact it was onside

Took too long for them to clarify though which made the goal a bit of an anti-climax. Quite a muted reaction from the Leicester fans when it was given.

14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I liked the ref lifting the ball while he checked, as if they would've played on without him.

more impressed with the  dramatic "finger to the earpiece" thing to emphasise the fact he was listening for the verdict - would be better if he'd just stood there with his arms folded looking awkward for 20 seconds, or done a hand-jive or sthg - small diversionary cameos during these short breaks should be something referees embrace and use to express themselves, interpretative dance, or obscene gestures to the fans...

Fleetwood players seemed to be complaining about the flag having gone up.
Surely by now they know to play to the whistle? Even before VAR there's all sorts of reasons a referee could overrule a linesman. I remember us being on the wrong end of such a call at Ibrox (unbelievable, I know) - ball forward, knocked-on, lands to striker, goal - flag up. Referee goes for a chat; goal given.
Turned out the flag was for the knock-on, but it came off a defender. The referee was checking the flag wasn't for the initial ball. It was the right decision, tbf.

I think in Italy they'd have played on as the assistants are instructed not to flag when it's a close call. Seems a fairly sensible solution there although it'll probably lead to a lot more goals being chopped off which might be seen as a negative?

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Sounds like Jermaine Jenas.

Horrible dive there from Pedro. Deservedly booked

Yeah, he looked almost embarrassed with it.

Did not realise Cabalerro (sp?) was with Chelsea.  The weird and wonderful world of the backup goalkeeper

Yeah, he looked almost embarrassed with it.

Did not realise Cabalerro (sp?) was with Chelsea.  The weird and wonderful world of the backup goalkeeper

No doubt a ridiculously rich man as well with all these backup gigs

8 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Did they just use VAR to decide whether a corner call was correct?  Ref was holding the take up and listening to his earpiece 

I thought he was making sure it wasn't a penalty. 

Archived