FA Cup 2017/18

Eednud

Seeing as I started last season's and possibly the one before I'll keep the tradition going. Extra Preliminary Round ties start this weekend. 185 ties, 370 teams. BBC will stream a game from the early rounds with "The first match shown live will be the Merseyside derby between Litherland REMYCA and AFC Liverpool.". http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40770123

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40685951

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent idea to stream the tie. Always mean to get to some preliminary cup games each year but I never get round to it and Villa/holiday commitments look like stopping me this year.

Full draw here... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_FA_Cup_qualifying_rounds

I'll settle for Hanworth Villa in the Third Round, ta.

Took in Newcastle Benfield v West Allotment Celtic EP round today.

Finished 1-0 to hosts.

Game is billed as 'Coach Lane Classico'

A local derby of two Northern League teams separate by a miles long road (Coach Lane).

Very friendly atmosphere. 102 in attendance. All happy to see WAC on the pitch. At end of last season they essentially folded as they play on a ground at Northumbrian FA HQ and there was plans to quadruple ground rent for 17/18. Thankfully, Northern League Community rallied round and found them another ground nearby. 

Normally visit Northern League sides about a dozen times a year. Good standard of football and dirt cheap. Teams are from 4 and 5 leagues below the nation league/conference. Lots of local derbies and most teams have a great history. 2nd oldest league in the world after the Football League. Presumably as the Geordies couldn't be f**ked with the nonsense of those down South.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

South Shields v Bridlington Town on this Saturday 1230. 

South Shields 1st home game midweek attracted a crowd of 1776. 

Should be another decent game and crowd Saturday. 

Level 8 teams enter for this, the Preliminary Round. Total of 320 teams, 160 ties with 28 Level 10 clubs still in the competition.with 19 of them knocking out Level 9 opponents last round if I've counted correctly. Biggest score last round Stotfold 1 Berkhamstead 12. Largest crowd 602 Bromsgrove Sporting 2 Rocester 2 but only 196 at the replay, Nromsgrove won 3-1. One of the BBC bits about this week's round.  http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40897418

On 05/08/2017 at 18:49, TartanTyneArmy said:

Took in Newcastle Benfield v West Allotment Celtic EP round today.

Finished 1-0 to hosts.

Game is billed as 'Coach Lane Classico'

A local derby of two Northern League teams separate by a miles long road (Coach Lane).

Very friendly atmosphere. 102 in attendance. All happy to see WAC on the pitch. At end of last season they essentially folded as they play on a ground at Northumbrian FA HQ and there was plans to quadruple ground rent for 17/18. Thankfully, Northern League Community rallied round and found them another ground nearby. 

Normally visit Northern League sides about a dozen times a year. Good standard of football and dirt cheap. Teams are from 4 and 5 leagues below the nation league/conference. Lots of local derbies and most teams have a great history. 2nd oldest league in the world after the Football League. Presumably as the Geordies couldn't be f**ked with the nonsense of those down South.

Team Northumbria (students) who actually play out of the campus at the Coach Lane you refer to had an even closer derby v Heaton Stannington to which "the Stan" won 1-0 and now visit Consett tomorrow. 

4 teams all within a mile radius  of each other though like you said West Allotment Celtic had to move. Good they have found a ground a wee bit oot the road by the airport where the now defunct Newcastle Blue Star used to play. I could be wrong but I'm sure the Wheatsheaf ground is/was part of Newcastle Falcons rugby who obviously play at Kingston Park but still have a facility there. 

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:34, lichtie23 said:

My mate is the social media guy for Westfields FC. They won 3-1 today

Nice. He's funny.

Westfields are a great little club.

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 08:09, newcastle broon said:

Team Northumbria (students) who actually play out of the campus at the Coach Lane you refer to had an even closer derby v Heaton Stannington to which "the Stan" won 1-0 and now visit Consett tomorrow. 

4 teams all within a mile radius  of each other though like you said West Allotment Celtic had to move. Good they have found a ground a wee bit oot the road by the airport where the now defunct Newcastle Blue Star used to play. I could be wrong but I'm sure the Wheatsheaf ground is/was part of Newcastle Falcons rugby who obviously play at Kingston Park but still have a facility there. 

Heaton Stan is a proper wee community club. Real ale and real good company

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Second Qualifying Round starts today with Level 6 clubs entering and a total of 160 clubs. Three Level 10 clubs have survived and all have home ties. Baldock Town v Aylesbury United (8), Bodmin Town v Bideford (8) and Tavistock v From Town (7). Streaming game is Deeping Rangers (9) v Kidderminster Harriers (6) http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41189182

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Never heard of Deeping Rangers before but I like their colour scheme.

Still hope Kidder win.

Also hoping Salford get knocked out so the BBC can't spend the early rounds of the cup masturbating over them again.

59bd590d23621_ScreenShot2017-09-16at18_01_32.png.cd28c53dc06b8cad71935485b55445dc.png

Pleasing.

Level 10 Bodmin Town still in the Cup, until Wednesday at least. Their game was postponed due to waterlogged pitch. Occasional Cup giant-killer Blyth Spartans, now Level 6 were knocked out 1-2 at home by Shaw Lane of Level 7. Had to look them up to find out where they're from. Barnsley.

Archived