Moving to Glasgow

Girth

Bumping this thread as I’m making the move at some point post coronavirus. 

Any updates on good areas to live? Ideally would be looking at buying a more modern flat (personal preference). No idea how the market will have been affected by everything that’s been going on right enough.

22 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Any updates on good areas to live? Ideally would be looking at buying a more modern flat (personal preference). No idea how the market will have been affected by everything that’s been going on right enough.

Move to Strathbungo.

I've no idea if it's a good area but it sounds cool as f**k.

I’m living near Glasgow Green and it’s brilliant. I get the impression that it must have been a bit shit at one point as when I say that people kind of have a nervous laugh and start talking about getting robbed.

I’ve found it to be great though, flat is lovely, it’s good to be able to sit on the Green, it’s been very quiet. Near Merchant City so plenty of pubs, restaurants etc to go to. Love it so far.

I’m living near Glasgow Green and it’s brilliant. I get the impression that it must have been a bit shit at one point as when I say that people kind of have a nervous laugh and start talking about getting robbed.

I’ve found it to be great though, flat is lovely, it’s good to be able to sit on the Green, it’s been very quiet. Near Merchant City so plenty of pubs, restaurants etc to go to. Love it so far.
Don't know if it's still the case but it used to be hoaching with prostitutes and junkies.

32 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Don't know if it's still the case but it used to be hoaching with prostitutes and junkies.

Ahh I see. Well I haven’t seen any prostitutes or junkies around so either it’s cleaned up a bit or they are all just very quiet about it! 

4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Haven't been down that way since a mate of mine moved out of the Gallowgate but St Lukes and West were always decent places for drinks.

Can confirm Strathbungo is very nice. Im Mount Florida which hasn't quite been hit by the hard Southside gentrification just yet but still very chill place to be. Southside or Westend are the winners for sure. Dennistoun not bad either.

8 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Depends on your budget eh. West End, Merchant City or Shawlands/Strathbungo would be my recommendations.

I hear people talk about Shawlands as a good area quite a bit but never actually been there - seems quite far from the city centre. What’s good about it? 

I was verging towards Patrick and just looked into Dennistoun which seems decent. What about this ‘New Gorbals’ - is it as shite as the Old Gorbals?

On 10/06/2020 at 18:05, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Shawlands, Strathbungo or Battlefield are your best shouts IMO. 

I lived in Kings Park for a bit and there is absolutely f**k all worthwhile going on there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2020 at 13:38, NotThePars said:

Haven't been down that way since a mate of mine moved out of the Gallowgate but St Lukes and West were always decent places for drinks.

This aged well.

I'd say West End is the best out of the 3 main places being mentioned (Dennistoun and Southside). They've all got nice pubs etc but West End is just that bit closer to the centre and is a better walk with loads of pubs, restauraunts etc on the way into town. The public transport is good but you wouldn't actually really need to use it if you lived on Byres Road/Woodlands Road, can walk basically anywhere in decent time

4 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

This aged well.

I'd say West End is the best out of the 3 main places being mentioned (Dennistoun and Southside). They've all got nice pubs etc but West End is just that bit closer to the centre and is a better walk with loads of pubs, restauraunts etc on the way into town. The public transport is good but you wouldn't actually really need to use it if you lived on Byres Road/Woodlands Road, can walk basically anywhere in decent time

I missed this. What's happened?

• 2 weeks later...

Dennistoun is decent enough, I stayed in parade park almost 10 years ago when the flats there were just built and it was ideal. 30 seconds to get on the motorway, 10-15 minute walk into the town centre. It’s full of students nowadays as you get a lot more for your money than the west end, although the prices have went up a good bit in the past few years.