Moving to Glasgow

Girth

Hello all

Wasn't sure where to put this thread exactly but this seemed right enough.

Anyway, I've been looking at leaving London (standard of living is crap) and after recent visits to Glasgow, I really dig it.

Since then, I've been researching my job role up there and it looks like I'd pretty much get the same money (if not more!) and have an ace standard of living.

Anyway, just after some advice, be looking to move up end of March (when my lease expires).

• What are the pros and cons of Glasgow?
  • Which are the best areas/worst areas to live?
  • How can I avoid most of the old firm cretins?
  • How is the job market (finance) generally?
  • Do particular areas have a good community feel?

Many thanks!

• What are the pros and cons of Glasgow?

Pros: Culture, entertainment, humour, social fabric, scenery (Loch Lomond etc), tenement buildings

Cons: Some miserably blighted areas, weather, Old Firm ground zero

• Which are the best areas/worst areas to live?

Best: West End, South Side. Anywhere within a 15-minute walk of Glasgow Uni is v sound.

• How can I avoid most of the old firm cretins?

Avoid their ghettos. Shun pished-stained drunks.

After living in the West End for years I moved to the Southside three years ago and definitely prefer where I am now. Both areas have lots going for them in terms of decent bars, cafes, parks, things to do, but you get more for your money on the Southside and where I live now (Strathbungo) has a really nice community feel - maybe the West End has a more transient population whereas more people put roots down in the Southside and get involved in community things, or maybe that's just our experience. Both are decent parts of the city to live in though.

You've made the right choice, Glasgow is by far the best place in Scotland and probably the uk to live.

If you like going out and a bit  of a busy vibe as others have said the west end is pretty good, though it's rammed with arsehole students. And again as others have said quite a few decent places to live on the south side. Places like Duke Street are starting to get gentrified  and like everywhere else there are good bits (and shitholes) in every area.

26 minutes ago, Romeo said:

You've made the right choice, Glasgow is by far the best place in Scotland and probably the uk to live.

If you like going out and a bit  of a busy vibe as others have said the west end is pretty good, though it's rammed with arsehole students. And again as others have said quite a few decent places to live on the south side. Places like Duke Street are starting to get gentrified  and like everywhere else there are good bits (and shitholes) in every area.

Sounds like London but cheaper, friendlier and probably cooler!

I quite like Dennistoun if you want to be close to the city. As kinda touched upon, a lot of the streets, especially between Duke St and the Parade are being gentrified to f**k, and I never really knew my neighbours when I lived there as half them were students who fucked off after term time or folk from outside Glasgow who tended to keep to themselves. However, what you'd be paying for accommodation would be a lot less than areas mentioned and its decent for all the main amenities and in walking distance from the city centre.

It is rough on Duke Street and further down towards Haghill/Parkhead, but if you can tolerate that then its a decent place to live. Rangers pubs and neds milling around on Duke Street wherever you went around never really bothered me, although I could imagine it would slightly intimidate some folk who aren't used to it.

West End and the Southside are too posh for me tbh.

14 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I quite like Dennistoun if you want to be close to the city. As kinda touched upon, a lot of the streets, especially between Duke St and the Parade are being gentrified to f**k, and I never really knew my neighbours when I lived there as half them were students who fucked off after term time or folk from outside Glasgow who tended to keep to themselves. However, what you'd be paying for accommodation would be a lot less than areas mentioned and its decent for all the main amenities and in walking distance from the city centre.

It is rough on Duke Street and further down towards Haghill/Parkhead, but if you can tolerate that then its a decent place to live. Rangers pubs and neds milling around on Duke Street wherever you went around never really bothered me, although I could imagine it would slightly intimidate some folk who aren't used to it.

West End and the Southside are too posh for me tbh.

Yeah, that won't really intimidate me tbh. I've lived in rough parts of Cardiff and London so I've pretty much seen it all.

Cheers. I'll have a look.

Ideally, I need a list of all the areas and what is good/bad about each.

For example, I've heard Clydebank isn't even worth looking at.

I've lived here for about 15 years now. Mostly the Southside which is a great place to live especially Shawlands and Giffnock. Recently moved to Mount Vernon, I've no complaints although it's definitely not as salubrious as Giffnock.

The west end is populated by utter wanks. Unless you are a hipster, steer clear.

27 minutes ago, Girth said:

Yeah, that won't really intimidate me tbh. I've lived in rough parts of Cardiff and London so I've pretty much seen it all.

Cheers. I'll have a look.

Ideally, I need a list of all the areas and what is good/bad about each.

For example, I've heard Clydebank isn't even worth looking at.

:lol: I'd like to make you an honorary Sons fan for that comment.

Big question really is do you plan to have a car? If so then that would rule a lot of areas out such as the west end and parts of the south side. Also, are you looking for a house with a garden or just a flat?
One place no one has said yet is Braehead village, it's technically Renfrew but it's less than a mile from the Glasgow border. 
The west end is overpriced and full of fake p***ks with fake accents. South side is decent, Shawlands and Cathcart are decent areas. 

Nah, no car. Plan to learn to drive whilst I'm up there.

Flat for me. Not too bothered about a garden.

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

I have two questions for you:

1 - What are you basing this claim on?

2 - Have you lived anywhere apart from Glasgow in your life?