Stenhousemuir -vs- Stirling Albion

On Saturday, Stone Cold Stenhousemuir welcome neighbours Stirling Albion to Ochilview for the first league match of the 2017/18 League 2 campaign and I can't wait. I don't know what to expect from the Warriors - we used so many different personnel and formations during the League Cup group stages - but this should be the perfect barometer as to how we'll get on this season. I imagine both clubs will be looking for finish in the top four (and maybe even push for the title) so a victory at this early stage would be ideal.

How will Stenny line up? Answers on a postcard. It has become apparent the squad seems pretty unbalanced with too many central midfielders and not enough ingenuity in attack or on the wings. I would imagine a couple of loan signings would be imminent.

I don't see why we can't win this. I'd certainly be disappointed if we lost.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buzzing for a trip to Ochilview, who would've thought?

Will be a tough game for us, fully expect Stenny to be up there with us this season. Play like we did in the League Cup, excluding Falkirk, and we should grab a win here.

Stenny have been poor the twice I've seen them in the BetFred.

Yes I know its effectively a pre-season tournament but they look lightweight up top and have no guile in the middle and Chris Smith was a bombscare against Queens but on the basis that its Scumbling Lolbion they are playing, easy home win.

Just now, JakeSAFC said:

"Scumbling Lolbion" jesus fucking wept emoji31.png

Problem with new posters on here is that they don't know the heritage of the site and thus make a complete tit of themselves like Jake.

Having been to all 4 Betfred cup games, we were a lot better than everyone is making us out to be. 

Queen's - We ran out of energy

Albion - We never seem to win on grass

EK - We have never beaten EK and both goals should have been prevented

Hamilton - Against a full time team 3 leagues above us. They didn't dominate us for the full game, we held up against them until they scored there second.

As FF said we don't have many attacking options, we have Colin McMenamin, Mark McGuigan, Jamie Longworth and Eddie Ferns. Not much to work with there, especially with having only one winger, being Ferns. Hopefully we can make loan signings and hopefully (very unlikely) Willis Furtado returns to the club. One can dream...

Predict us to win 3- 1, Longworth brace and a goal from David Marsh.

Mon the Stenny.

Problem with new posters on here is that they don't know the heritage of the site and thus make a complete tit of themselves like Jake.

Making a tit of myself for pointing out some horrific patter, okay m8.

As mentioned, you don't know the history of the phrase on here therefore your comment (like the vast majority of your posts) is meaningless and worthless. Carry on making yourself look like a numpty, it amuses me.

51 minutes ago, CEMSFC said:

Having been to all 4 Betfred cup games, we were a lot better than everyone is making us out to be. 

Queen's - We ran out of energy

Albion - We never seem to win on grass

EK - We have never beaten EK and both goals should have been prevented

Hamilton - Against a full time team 3 leagues above us. They didn't dominate us for the full game, we held up against them until they scored there second.

As FF said we don't have many attacking options, we have Colin McMenamin, Mark McGuigan, Jamie Longworth and Eddie Ferns. Not much to work with there, especially with having only one winger, being Ferns. Hopefully we can make loan signings and hopefully (very unlikely) Willis Furtado returns to the club. One can dream...

Predict us to win 3- 1, Longworth brace and a goal from David Marsh.

Mon the Stenny.

How do you think we'll set up on Saturday?

3 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

How do you think we'll set up on Saturday?

Smith

Meechan     R.Dunlop     Marsh     M.Dunlop     Donaldson

Halleran       Ferry       Paton

Longworth           McMenamin

That is how I think we will line up, not too sure if McGuigan will start over Colin or not. 

The  bet365 odds look interesting.

The albion are 10/3 which is the biggest price for any team in the league to win their game. The bookies must think we are bobbins or Stennie are shaping up well.

2 minutes ago, CEMSFC said:

Smith

Meechan     R.Dunlop     Marsh     M.Dunlop     Donaldson

Halleran       Ferry       Paton

Longworth           McMenamin

That is how I think we will line up, not too sure if McGuigan will start over Colin or not. 

Yeah, swap Mark McGuigan for Colin McMenamin and I think you're bang on.

Still not 100 per cent convinced breaking up the Dunlop brothers partnership to accommodate David Marsh is the right think to do but what do I know.

26 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Yeah, swap Mark McGuigan for Colin McMenamin and I think you're bang on.

Still not 100 per cent convinced breaking up the Dunlop brothers partnership to accommodate David Marsh is the right think to do but what do I know.

We played Longworth and McGuigan up front against Hamilton and looked very lackluster.

I think we looked better defensively with Marsh in but given his discipline, could be worth just having the Dunlops together. 

I also think that we will change to 4 at the back after a few games, we seem to be missing a second option in attack and I think adding in a extra midfielder could be the way to go. Could end up going with something like this:

Smith

Meechan     R.Dunlop          M.Dunlop         Donaldson

Gilmour        Paton                Ferry                Ferns

Longworth         McGuigan 

21 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

What about Jimmy Scott instead of Halleran?

I am sure we will start McGuigan and Longworth up front. 

Jimmy Scott was nowhere to be seen on Saturday, might be injured. 

If Scott is fit he will start ahead of Halleran. I'd like to think we will have at least another loan player in by Saturday the squad looks woefully thin and unbalanced at the minute as discussed previously.

I can see us losing narrowly on Saturday. We will be difficult to break down but by the same token it's difficult to see us creating many chances with the current make up of the team.

Stenny have been poor the twice I've seen them in the BetFred.
Yes I know its effectively a pre-season tournament but they look lightweight up top and have no guile in the middle and Chris Smith was a bombscare against Queens but on the basis that its Scumbling Lolbion they are playing, easy home win.

Chris Smith bomb scare [emoji23][emoji23] binnie > Smith

Difficult game to predict, Stenny have been poor in the Betfred Cup, whilst for us apart from the Falkirk game we have done well. 

So on that basis expect it to be a draw,  1-1 will be fine, anything bar a defeat will be okay.

Hope Chris Smith doesn't get a bad reception from the Albion fans, without him we'd have probably finished bottom last season.

I'd go with this team, if possible.

Binnie
McNeil- McGeachie- Smith- Noble
Black- Robertson
Morrison- Dickson- Kav
Peaso

Archived