Motherwell vs Rangers 6th August

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the fear for this one.

Despite out decent run of games in the LC this will be a far tougher test than we have faced so far.

I'm also used to our arse collapsing against mediocre Sevco sides and I can't see past similar here.

I wish these troglodytes would boycott FP as being close to them for an afternoon is boakworthy.

I'm going to go with 2-1 Sevco but please prove me wrong Motherwell.

30 minutes ago, MikeyWellFan said:

I have the fear for this one.

Despite out decent run of games in the LC this will be a far tougher test than we have faced so far.

I'm also used to our arse collapsing against mediocre Sevco sides and I can't see past similar here.

I wish these troglodytes would boycott FP as being close to them for an afternoon is boakworthy.

I'm going to go with 2-1 Sevco but please prove me wrong Motherwell.

Similar bad feeling as we were never really tested in the League Cup group but against Queen's Park we looked ropy at the back to say the least. I don't know much about Rangers or how their pre-season has gone apart from their Euro humiliation but no matter how good or bad Rangers sides seem to be, our inferiority complex kicks in whenever we see a Rangers jersey and I don't see this being any different. I think if we are to have any chance then we must score first and we must not try to walk the ball into the net. This is the type of game that will require someone to take a pot shot or two from the edge of the box, ala Lasley's screamers against them in the past.

I'm sticking with my prediction of 2-0 to Rangers.

Clyde 1 just played a snippet of Robinson's press conference and it's so refreshing to hear a Motherwell manager coming out and saying that this is a big game for us and we'll be giving it a go, rather than the pathetic "we'll need them to have an off day, we're punching above our weight here" style guff that McGhee and McCall were notorious for in these games and virtually had us beat before a ball is kicked.

I'm on holiday and usually hate missing the 1st game of the season but I'll make an exception here - happy to avoid the visit of the worstcunts. 

My expectations are low (realistic?) for the game and for the season in general - I can't see how we can sign so many players - even when many of them are clear upgrades on what we had - and expect to be effective in the early part of the season. Rangers will be no great shakes, but they will give us way more of a test than the poor (Morton) or lowly (QP, Edinburgh City and Berwick) opposition that we've faced so far. I will settle for us showing some of the good traits from the league cup (good pressing game, trying to keep possession) against a better resourced team, along with a competent defensive performance. 

Narrow defeat here is my guess. 

For me all the pressure is on Caixinha and Rangers.  They HAVE to perform in this match or there is going to be a pretty uncomfortable spot light on them.  Rangers must know even a scrappy or narrow win isn't good enough after last season and their Euro humiliation.

With that in mind if we can win that midfield battle with Bigirimana and McHugh and control the tempo of the game in the early stages we'll have a chance.  In these matches you need your best players to set up and I'll be looking at those two to do that.

Cadden also has to make more late runs into the box and score, he's done it in two league cup campaigns against lower opposition, he needs to step up and do it against Premier level teams this term.

Moult looked well off the pace last week which levels us a bit short up front, especially since he has a pretty good record of scoring against the OF, been disappointed with Fisher as well.  Newell looked like he might have something about him and perhaps more suitable for the type of football we should be trying to play when up against Rangers.

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

For me all the pressure is on Caixinha and Rangers.  They HAVE to perform in this match or there is going to be a pretty uncomfortable spot light on them.  Rangers must know even a scrappy or narrow win isn't good enough after last season and their Euro humiliation.

With that in mind if we can win that midfield battle with Bigirimana and McHugh and control the tempo of the game in the early stages we'll have a chance.  In these matches you need your best players to set up and I'll be looking at those two to do that.

Cadden also has to make more late runs into the box and score, he's done it in two league cup campaigns against lower opposition, he needs to step up and do it against Premier level teams this term.

Moult looked well off the pace last week which levels us a bit short up front, especially since he has a pretty good record of scoring against the OF, been disappointed with Fisher as well.  Newell looked like he might have something about him and perhaps more suitable for the type of football we should be trying to play when up against Rangers.

I would take a scrappy win tomorrow regardless of performance . The important thing in the vast majority of Rangers fans eyes this season is consistency and finding form . Performance will come second to that 

if pedro could guarantee 38 scrappy 1-0 wins I would bite your hand off 

Just now, yoda said:

I think most people would bite your hand off for 38 wins Tpm51f2.png

Precisely .Just trying to argue the case that if we are scrappy and not the most thrilling to watch this season then I will be happy as long as we gain some consistency . Performance is not the main thing tomorrow 

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Yes.  The midfield will be vital.  Jack and Dorrans is a big upgrade on Holt and Halliday so I'd hope we'll be more competitive there than last season.  We're also stronger defensively with Alves and Cardoso so won't be rag-dolled like we've been.

I'm talking myself in to an away win - but both teams are unknown quantities so I can't predict anything with confidence.

15 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

We always win the first game of the season. I'm sticking with my 2-1 Motherwell prediction

Not when we play Rangers we don't.

Looking forward to this. Fancy it'll be a tough game, quite close. I'll go:

Foderingham;

Tav,
Cardoso,
Alves,
Wallace;

Candeias,
Jack,
Dorrans,
Windass;

Herrera,
Miller

Good to see Pena and Morelos get on at some point.

Fingers crossed Windass further proves I pre-judged him wrongly, but would prefer Kranjcar in there.

M'well 0 - 2 Rangers

Waggy is suspended for the game, not sure how we'll cope now, may as well just give well the three points now.

Am I right in saying Tavernier and Kranjcar are also out? Not sure if suspended or injured?

Anyway, I've got Bigirimana first goal at 25/1. Printing money.

Archived