Motherwell vs Rangers 6th August

Good league cup campaign so far for Motherwell with a P4 W4 record and a good week at the office for us too, with decent performances in friendlies.

How confident are the Dossers about picking up points from this game?  I'm going for a nervy away win.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The_Kincardine changed the title to Motherwell vs Rangers 6th August

Would love a win here but there's about as much chance of that as us getting a decent Cup draw, so a 0-0 draw is the best we can hope for here as I can't see us scoring.

The game may be a week away but I'm going to confidently predict a standard 0-2 defeat.

I made a baws of that.  I just heard our LC draw and naturally assume all our games are at home.

Had to double check in case it was my memory playing tricks... it does that.

No idea how it'll go, we've looked ok against poor opposition but not took our chances. At least they were competitive games which are better than friendlies.

I'll copy kinky with a nervy home win [emoji6]

23 minutes ago, steelmen said:

No idea how it'll go, we've looked ok against poor opposition but not took our chances.

And that's what will cost us next week, our inability to take chances and our insistence in trying to walk the ball into the net. In games like this we need to take every chance we get but I'm not confident of us being able to do that. We won't score next Sunday so it'll all come down to how well we defend but I can't see us keeping a clean sheet.

Genuinely no idea where we are in terms of readiness tbh. It's virtually an entire new team we're looking at. Of those who were there last season Moult started his first game yesterday and looked absolutely miles off the pace while Carl McHugh had to drop back to centre half on account of Hammell going off inside 10 mins.

For a bit of context in the 4 competitive games we've played we've faced a total of 23 shots on our goal and 7 of those have been on target. In our game against Berwick Rangers alone we had 25 shots on goal and 12 on on target. To say our defence hasn't really been tested would be an understatement. In 3 of the 4 cup games our possession has been 60% or higher. Of the 2 goals we've conceded Carson was unlucky with the first having put the initial shot on to the bar and for the other one he was left completely exposed 1 v 1 so while he's looked far more assured than Samson he's really not been given any sort of test. He's claimed cross balls though, so that's something while the fact that we went through the group stage with a 100% record and largely controlling the games is very un-Motherwell.

We set up yesterday with a flat back 4 but for the most part have played with a back 3 so it's anyone's guess what sort of shape we'll go with. Hammell's been a regular in that back 3 and is now out with a torn hamstring, McManus is our only other experienced option and in 2 of the 4 games he's had minutes in has had a complete shitemare moment, one of which should have cost a goal another that did cost a goal. The chat seems to be we'll be bringing in another defender this week.

Weirdly we started off the competitive games playing some tidy football and the upshot was that we scored a few goals. In the latter 2 games the instruction seems to have been to "get the ball wide and get crosses into the box" which IMO has seen our conversion rate plummet. We were creating good quality chances and taking them well but since the game plan has moved to loading crosses in we've suffered. We went from scoring 5 times from 6 shots on target and 4 times from 12 on target to 2 from 12 and 1 from 12.

On the positive side of things Robinson's purposely reduced the age of the squad and has added a lot more pace and physicality to the team. Our midfield seems to offer a lot more than it did last season with McHugh and Bigirimana in there. Cadden playing centrally has been a massive bonus too. The question is whether we're actually sound defensively and whether we can convert chances against better sides.

14 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I hope for the sake of all the Rangers' players that the man that administered the brutal flag assault on Lee McCulloch still isn't at large.

It was definitely a golf brolly and the bloke was only trying to help

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Would love a win here but there's about as much chance of that as us getting a decent Cup draw, so a 0-0 draw is the best we can hope for here as I can't see us scoring.

The game may be a week away but I'm going to confidently predict a standard 0-2 defeat.

Stop pretending to be a Motherwell fan you utter weirdo

11 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Stop pretending to be a Motherwell fan you utter weirdo

:lol:

This from the utter weirdo hanging about match threads which have nothing to do with the team he/she supports and posting unfounded, paranoid waffle.

If I'm 'pretending to be a Motherwell fan' then I'm sure Motherwell FC are very grateful for my pretence over the last 30 years given the amount of time, effort and money I have spent on pretending to support them.

:lol:
This from the utter weirdo hanging about match threads which have nothing to do with the team he/she supports and posting unfounded, paranoid waffle.
If I'm 'pretending to be a Motherwell can't them I'm sure Motherwell FC are very grateful for my pretence over the last 30 years given the amount of time, effort and money I gave spent on pretending to support them.

It's less than that. You forgot to subtract the years that Rangers were in the lower leagues.

6 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

It's less than that. You forgot to subtract the years that Rangers were in the lower leagues.

You can never underestimate just how any Rangers thread on here will attract the moon howling crackpots of just about every club in Scotland. :lol:

The very mention of the word 'Rangers' flicks a switch in some folks heads and turns them into a seething, dribbling mess with no grasp of reality, logic or reason.

47 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Reckon we'll score an early goal and I'll absolutely lose my shit before Rangers win it late on.

Motherwell 1 (Bowman) Rangers 2

Bowman was snubbed yesterday when we needed a goal for a boy who was signed a few days ago for the 20's, that after being subbed at half time against Edinburgh City on Tuesday, I would be very surprised if he's involved here. From what I heard recently, Robinson's been trying to shift him like he did with Clay but Bowman seems determined to stay and fight for his place.

Perhaps that's what's holding up the move for the supposed pacey striker he's chasing, the fact he can't shift either of Bowman or Blyth at the minute. Not ideal anyway to start the season with four senior strikers, two of which the manager doesn't really rate. Of the other two one's nowhere ready enough to start here and was miles off the pace yesterday while the other seems to be getting further away from scoring with each attempt he has at the minute and you can already sense the crowd begging to get on his back.

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

You can never underestimate just how any Rangers thread on here will attract the moon howling crackpots of just about every club in Scotland. :lol:

The very mention of the word 'Rangers' flicks a switch in some folks heads and turns them into a seething, dribbling mess with no grasp of reality, logic or reason.

And that's just their own fans...

Archived