League Cup group stage was a success

mrman2011

50% of seeds get a home tie and 50% of non-seeds get a home tie. That's about as 'fair' as it can get is it not?

As for Ayr getting Hibs away, boo fuckin hoo. Luck of the draw.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This format of the League Cup has been a success...... but it does need improvements.

The fact this cup has been benificial to clubs on the finacial side cant be overlooked. With BT Sport and Betfred investing a tidy sum in the Scottish game should be praised. The League Cup offers a much larger prize fund for the winner compared to the Scottish Cup. Think its £200000 (Now £250000) compared to £60000.

1. Clubs are still in the process of building their squads for the coming season. Managers are waiting on players coming back from holiday to try and sign them or offer them trials. Some players have missed preseason due to family holidays as they are limited in what times of the year they can go away. Part time teams are having a difficult time having enough players fit enough to be competitive against the bigger teams and are basically using these games as an extension to their pre-season.

Clubs need to have the option to play trialists in the group stages of this cup. Say a maximum of 3 trialists per game would allow clubs greater flexability with their squads and help them assess players for the coming campaign.

2. The exclusion of the 4 euro teams needs to be looked at again. Playing in the group stages would allow these teams to have there players much fitter and playing better at the same time they are playing in the Euro games. Look at Celtic v Rosenborg, the Norwegians had played over 23 competitive games and looked fitter. On the other hand Celtic didnt look as sharp as they could have been due to playing only 2 competitive games. Could have been 5 if they were in the groups.

Obviously Rangers and St Johnstone went out before the League Cup started but then they would have these games to focus on and get ready for the season proper to start. 

These 4 clubs do have a lot of travelling during the qualifying rounds, no doubt they would play weakened sides before an away euro tie, but these clubs tend to have squads big enough to still be much stronger than a part time team. And some cup games would have to be moved to a Sunday for teams playing in the Europa League on Thursday.

The 4 teams playing on Europe could start the League Cup Group stages on 3 points. Would give them an advantage in getting to the next round without gettting a bye.

I would also like to see a few more Highland / Lowland teams in this cup. Would give fans the chance to see there teams playing at grounds they have never been too before.

No they earned Entry into European football, this should result in minimal impact on domestic competition, certainly not be given a massive helping hand

The group stages wouldn't have been able to have went ahead at this stage of the season if they never got through to the last 16. Don't see what the problem is at all

It has us dreading the new season already 1 goal in 4 games . Its a good idea but lets face it hardly any part time teams are gonna get the chance to face bigger teams we re still getting squads ready and gettin players match fit .On the plus side its great watching games in better weather .I m just old enough to mind about old sections in the early 80 s 

I like the group stage format. Whilst we made a pig's ear of it this season, I did enjoy us seeing off a clueless Killie and a dire Dundee United last season on our way to the semis. Plus it cuts back on pointless friendlies that almost no-one attends.

It was amusing this season that we all still had meaningful games in July long after Sevco's meaningful games in July had ended. Laughing at Hearts was fun too.

The only change I'd make is to ditch the North/South thing and just draw groups from the whole pot. Put the longest journeys of the group games on the Saturdays.

21 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

It has us dreading the new season already 1 goal in 4 games . Its a good idea but lets face it hardly any part time teams are gonna get the chance to face bigger teams we re still getting squads ready and gettin players match fit .On the plus side its great watching games in better weather .I m just old enough to mind about old sections in the early 80 s 

I'm old enough to remember sections in the 60s & 70s...

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm old enough to remember sections in the 60s & 70s...

I believe if you dig deeper we got through a hard group in the 50 s eventually reaching semis losing to Rangers who then lost 7 1 to celts in final ... I have the programme from that semi final 

14 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

I believe if you dig deeper we got through a hard group in the 50 s eventually reaching semis losing to Rangers who then lost 7 1 to celts in final ... I have the programme from that semi final 

I used to have the programme from that game, too. I think there was a special train ran from Brechin to Glasgow for the semi final, but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

On 01/08/2017 at 18:50, AyrshireTon said:

I like the group stage format. Whilst we made a pig's ear of it this season, I did enjoy us seeing off a clueless Killie and a dire Dundee United last season on our way to the semis. Plus it cuts back on pointless friendlies that almost no-one attends.

It was amusing this season that we all still had meaningful games in July long after Sevco's meaningful games in July had ended. Laughing at Hearts was fun too.

The only change I'd make is to ditch the North/South thing and just draw groups from the whole pot. Put the longest journeys of the group games on the Saturdays.

I agree. What's the point in regionalising it when you end up with a 3 hour trip to inverness anyway. 

If my memory serves me right, in the 60s/70s ?, we were once drawn in a group with both Rangers and Celtic. I don't think it detracted from their European campaigns. 

ETA: Yep, just found it. 1971. Celtic, Rangers, Morton and Ayr United. Home and away also. 

Partick Thistle destroyed Celtic 4-1 in the final.

Celtic won with a 14-0 aggregate, followed by a 10-2 (before going out to Ajax) in the European Cup

Rangers went all the way, winning the European Cup Winners Cup

Just now, EdTheDuck said:

They're from the Scottish Professional Football League though

Or not as the case may be.

I thought the whole point of the pyramid meant the HFL and SLFL became part of the SPFL

Well, you live and learn and no mistake

At the end of the day admitting HL and LL champions is really just a way of filling 2 gaps in the groups. (There was a report in the Daily Record last year claiming a possibility of Celtic "B" and Rangers "B" participating instead, but I assume - or at least hope - that was a wet dream on the part of the journalist and not an actual possibility). In the same way they used to have them in Challenge Cup to make a full 32 entrants.

I can't see CL/EL sides being added. They couldn't play midweek, and OF will protect their weekends for glamour friendlies.

Archived