Alloa v Raith

What would you say his attributes are then ? Ain't pace

He's never a target man in a month of Sundays anyway. Spence works best off of defenders mistakes. He won't challenge in the air for a header from a long ball most times but instead he'll start to make a run in behind the defender and hope he misses it. Doesn't sound very target man like and if Raith want to use him as a target man then I expect you won't get the best out of him.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sore one to take at the end but really enjoyed the match and I thought Alloa were excellent. 

We started really well and probably deserved to go in front, but thought Rovers had come right back into it as the half wore on- I was quite surprised Barry Smith made a double substitution at the break.

Rovers were always looking to take the game to Alloa in the second half, but I thought we coped really well and created some good chances of our own. Fleming missed a great chance when he snatched a bit at a volley on the edge of the box. And also some brilliant interchange between Cawley and Flannigan (Alloas best moment of the game) led to Cawley shot saved at the near post. 

Spence caused problems for us in the box and had a few good chances. His dive in the box was a wee bit embarrassing though. 

A good team performance across the board really. Renton did well from the bench and Adam Martin got stuck right in. Still lack a wee bit of quality up front but really encouraging overall.

33 minutes ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

He's never a target man in a month of Sundays anyway. Spence works best off of defenders mistakes. He won't challenge in the air for a header from a long ball most times but instead he'll start to make a run in behind the defender and hope he misses it. Doesn't sound very target man like and if Raith want to use him as a target man then I expect you won't get the best out of him.

For someone of his size and he can't win a header is poor...I think you need a big presence up front in this league ...we already have a player like buchannan who likes to run in behind.

25 minutes ago, rover1985 said:

For someone of his size and he can't win a header is poor...I think you need a big presence up front in this league ...we already have a player like buchannan who likes to run in behind.

He's a penalty box striker- he won't do much outside the box but in terms of instinct in the area and playing off the last man, he's the best you'll get at this level. Also never stops working. Rovers boys should be well aware of this though having previously had him at the club. He was pretty unlucky not to score yesterday.

Spence was never ever a target man for alloa. He wasn't one to work the front line much either. All he ever done for alloa was score goals . He would be anonymous in a game and pop up with a goal. A great penalty box striker . Not one to work the line and go wide or anything . Not great holding up either. Just prolific. Buchanan a work horse though. Both great additions for raith. 

I'm surprised people would say Spence is a target man. One thing which might be an issue is that we've got two forwards who seem to do best when they're in the box. This might make it a 'mare where in games like yesterday where we have Callachan and Robertson who didn't really push forward with the ball. 

38 minutes ago, rw89 said:

I'm surprised people would say Spence is a target man. One thing which might be an issue is that we've got two forwards who seem to do best when they're in the box. This might make it a 'mare where in games like yesterday where we have Callachan and Robertson who didn't really push forward with the ball. 

Buchanan is different- good on the counter and driving into space in the box. Link up play and movement from him was good yesterday, but thought we dealt with him pretty well.

Along with Vaughn that's a cracking strike force. I think a cliched "target man" has its uses, but certainly not essential in the slightest and I doubt very much Rovers will suffer for a lack of one.

11 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Buchanan is different- good on the counter and driving into space in the box. Link up play and movement from him was good yesterday, but thought we dealt with him pretty well.

Along with Vaughn that's a cracking strike force. I think a cliched "target man" has its uses, but certainly not essential in the slightest and I doubt very much Rovers will suffer for a lack of one.

Even then, if we need a target man, then we can turn to Jonny Court who came on in the second half. In his first few senior games for Rovers, he came on and clattered Marvin Bartley of Hibs, scored a goal against Ayr, before coming on and clattering Darren O'Dea against Dundee. Even against Alloa he was up offering a bit more of a threat. 

I think days like yesterday will be a bit more common place for Rovers now, where teams will be quite happy to shut up shop and play a midfield falling back very deep. Goodwin's tactics yesterday were very nearly perfect. Smith threw everything at Alloa in the second half and I think we had Callachan on as our only central midfielder by the end. With McHattie  and Thomson going forward we were highly exposed at the back. 

3 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Yes what of it?

Racist? emoji33.png

ffffffuck no. I'm just curious how you'd pronounce six f's in a row. Ffion is enough of a pain in the arse.

2 hours ago, #THsGh said:

The PA announcer was probably pleased he didn't come on.

"Substitution for...err...Raith Rovers, 48...58 minutes...Scott Robertson coming off for...

(long pause)

...a trialist."

4 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Bobby Barr going mental at the end getting everyone away back to get the game going again. Some boy. 

I quite like that. Bit of dedication and desire.

Always funny when the other team scores in the aftermath, though  :P

Pictures seem to confirm Thomson was in the box when he was fouled/dived if the ref thought it was a foul it should have been a penalty. Can remember Thomson making a couple of similar attempts at winning penaltys last year. 

Archived