Alloa v Raith

I remember Davie Hunter scoring a peach of a goal at Alloa in the 1970's which won us promotion.  We won 1-0 that day it was a scrappy game if I recall right.  Anyway a scrappy 1-0 victory on Saturday would be very welcoming.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vaughan's natural game is to drop a wee bit deeper, and against Cowden he started quite central and recessed with the other two in front. In previous games the shape, I think, was a bit more 4 in midfield with him dropping wide when we didn't have the ball but wandering in field when we did.

Got you. To me, on paper, your three forward players in this league scream quality.
I can't recall who it was/they were, but the only time I saw Rovers last season was the opening day, and there were a couple of boys I was really impressed with who I think you've retained up to now, and who are getting positive write-ups for this season; I want to say Matthews and/or Callachan. I think one of them scored that day?
Anyway, it sounds like both our teams have exciting prospects middle to front which hopefully translates to an exciting ding dong over the season.

Just now, Jeff Venom said:

Got you. To me, on paper, your three forward players in this league scream quality.
I can't recall who it was/they were, but the only time I saw Rovers last season was the opening day, and there were a couple of boys I was really impressed with who I think you've retained up to now, and who are getting positive write-ups for this season; I want to say Matthews and/or Callachan. I think one of them scored that day?
Anyway, it sounds like both our teams have exciting prospects middle to front which hopefully translates to an exciting ding dong over the season.

Both of them scored that day. Yeah, Matthews is a wee bit younger than Callachan and seems to be developing into a really decent all round midfielder. Scored a fucking belter up at Buckie. Cal is now captain, and so far looks the part. Both are being helped by having Scott Robertson, finally fit, to do the deeper lying link up and breaking up type of role.

Can't wait for Saturday and the league to get underway. Gutted I can't make the game (although will be drinking £1 pints in Budapest so not all bad!) and will have to rely on Soccer Saturday. 

Really tough fixture and would be a fantastic to start off with a win. Unlike previous rovers teams we have natural goalscorers and now some goals appearing from midfield. I think we have enough to outscore a lot of teams if key players stay fit - I tentatively predict we will get the three points on Saturday.

(As an aside, I'm back of Friday night so will make the Stranraer game. Me and my mates are thinking about changing our pre-game drinking spot - does anyone know styx still run the buses to the ground just before 3?)

Also in response to those above looking for the best place to drink - usually we do a mini pub crawl. Start off in the bobbing john for breakfast and a pint (soulless weatherpersons but very decent breakfast rolls!), then head next door to the Star (this is a bit rough around the edges but nice folk, cheap beer, pool table and, crucially, has Sky and BT) and then post tv game head to the Thistle bar for the last wee while. A fair few Rovers fans are usually in the Thistle and (if you really like maximising your drinking time) you can avoid the 10/15 minute walk to the ground and get in one of the taxis that sit outside the pub: 2 minute taxi for 3 quid - well worth it!

ETA - I see the Station has been mentioned. Never been there but need to give that a try next time. Perhaps some alloans (alloaonians?) could advise whether the Station shites on where i've mentioned!

3 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Can't wait for Saturday and the league to get underway. Gutted I can't make the game (although will be drinking £1 pints in Budapest so not all bad!) and will have to rely on Soccer Saturday. 

Really tough fixture and would be a fantastic to start off with a win. Unlike previous rovers teams we have natural goalscorers and now some goals appearing from midfield. I think we have enough to outscore a lot of teams if key players stay fit - I tentatively predict we will get the three points on Saturday.

(As an aside, I'm back of Friday night so will make the Stranraer game. Me and my mates are thinking about changing our pre-game drinking spot - does anyone know styx still run the buses to the ground just before 3?)

Also in response to those above looking for the best place to drink - usually we do a mini pub crawl. Start off in the bobbing john for breakfast and a pint (soulless weatherpersons but very decent breakfast rolls!), then head next door to the Star (this is a bit rough around the edges but nice folk, cheap beer, pool table and, crucially, has Sky and BT) and then post tv game head to the Thistle bar for the last wee while. A fair few Rovers fans are usually in the Thistle and (if you really like maximising your drinking time) you can avoid the 10/15 minute walk to the ground and get in one of the taxis that sit outside the pub: 2 minute taxi for 3 quid - well worth it!

ETA - I see the Station has been mentioned. Never been there but need to give that a try next time. Perhaps some alloans (alloaonians?) could advise whether the Station shites on where i've mentioned!

Yes, Styx still run buses to home matches.

Buchanan is excellent. Obviously lost his way a bit for a spell after bad injuries. He did ok at East Fife but really got his career back on track after Barry Smith brought him to Alloa. Easily good enough to be playing in the Championship, I'd far rather Buchanan than McManus or Stewart.

He was better than ok at East Fife! I said he was too good for our level and I was shocked he left Livy to drop down a league but money talks I suppose.

6 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Raith suite at the ground open to supporters pre match now

I remember Davie Hunter scoring a peach of a goal at Alloa in the 1970's which won us promotion.  We won 1-0 that day it was a scrappy game if I recall right.  Anyway a scrappy 1-0 victory on Saturday would be very welcoming.

Davie Hunter is my Uncle

35 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Davie Hunter is my Uncle

How anyone played on that pitch(sic) that day baffles me. I ran onto the pitch to celebrate after the whistle, but got bogged down in two inches of mud.

On 8/3/2017 at 15:47, east fife for life said:

He was better than ok at East Fife! I said he was too good for our level and I was shocked he left Livy to drop down a league but money talks I suppose.

Suppose 11 goals at East Fife is decent enough! But even then, he was on trial at Alloa after that. He wouldn't be on trial anywhere now. If he started getting things back on track at Bayview then he kicked on again after coming to Alloa in the Championship. I think that but for those injury issues earlier in his career then he would probably have played in the Premier League. But hopefully he has a shite game tomorrow.

Mon the Wasps.

Archived