Ok, now for the real stuff

glensmad

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alas it still will be IMO heard that some club were against scraping it for the 'big pay day' and I dont mean district league sides it was top league ones who were against it.. shocked me to be honest.

Shock horror some people like to play local games for a cup and most probably renewing old pals that they don't normally get to see during the season.
Not saying it should be immune from the chop but it has its pros.

18 minutes ago, rednblack said:

Shock horror some people like to play local games for a cup and most probably renewing old pals that they don't normally get to see during the season.
Not saying it should be immune from the chop but it has its pros.

OH I dont disagree with that but the current set up of playing the same teams year after year is an absolute no no for me. If it stays have a knock out, if they groups stay shake them up a bit.

1 hour ago, Nugent4nil said:

Alas it still will be IMO heard that some club were against scraping it for the 'big pay day' and I dont mean district league sides it was top league ones who were against it.. shocked me to be honest.

In Ayrshire the pish that nobody takes it serious is spouted every year,  yet look at the winners every year says it all really. When was the last time an actual minnow underdog actually won it.

53 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

In Ayrshire the pish that nobody takes it serious is spouted every year,  yet look at the winners every year says it all really. When was the last time an actual minnow underdog actually won it.

last season.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and in the sections there is still some experimenting, but I'd happily get to the Ardagh final every year.

Why do people have such negative views towards this league cup section every year?  It's almost as if saying it's pish has just become the thing to say, to jump on the bandwagon.   Why is it that teams don't want to take these games seriously and enjoy it as much as any other games throughout the year?

40 minutes ago, SaturdaySammy said:

Why do people have such negative views towards this league cup section every year?  It's almost as if saying it's pish has just become the thing to say, to jump on the bandwagon.   Why is it that teams don't want to take these games seriously and enjoy it as much as any other games throughout the year?

For me, it's down to the fact that the sections have become so predictable - I know a lot of it is down to geography, but the same teams can only play each other so many times before it gets old. The Sectional only really serves a purpose to keep half-forgotten semi-local derbies on the calendar if the sides find themselves in different divisions.

Before a ball's kicked most people have got a fair idea who's going to win five or six of the eight sections as well, which leads to the other sides in each group taking it less than seriously and as an extension to preseason...supporters also have got bored with the current format going by a lot of the attendances.

It's just one of those competitions which has run its course in its current format. It heats up a bit once you get to the usual suspects in the quarter finals, but that's about it.

I think it's just some fans who don't like it and as you can see from Hillonearth's reply, there are valid reasons.

However the team's still take it seriously as can be seen from recent winners of the Ardagh.

1 hour ago, SaturdaySammy said:

For me it's not specifically anything against the Sectional Cups but there are already Ayrshire Cup and Central Cups with the exact same teams. Is winning a trophy that is defined by the narrowest possible reduction of regional level so important that we need to do it twice in one season?

If there were 2 Scottish Cups it would clearly be daft but, like a lot of what passes for organisational structure in the Juniors, people just accept the absurd as long as it feels like there's a bit of tradition to it. 

The trophies in the Juniors desperately need streamlined and this one is probably the first one that should go given that it takes up so many good slots that could be used for league football. 

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

For me, it's down to the fact that the sections have become so predictable - I know a lot of it is down to geography, but the same teams can only play each other so many times before it gets old. The Sectional only really serves a purpose to keep half-forgotten semi-local derbies on the calendar if the sides find themselves in different divisions.

Before a ball's kicked most people have got a fair idea who's going to win five or six of the eight sections as well, which leads to the other sides in each group taking it less than seriously and as an extension to preseason...supporters also have got bored with the current format going by a lot of the attendances.

It's just one of those competitions which has run its course in its current format. It heats up a bit once you get to the usual suspects in the quarter finals, but that's about it.

Some good points there which are fair enough.  

3 hours ago, ex-german exile said:

I think it's just some fans who don't like it and as you can see from Hillonearth's reply, there are valid reasons.

However the team's still take it seriously as can be seen from recent winners of the Ardagh.

Hillonearth made some decent points, the fact the sections are the same every year I can agree is negative, it should change from year to year.  However for fans not to like it I really don't understand that - their team is playing in a competitive game, they should have the same attitude towards supporting them. 

Only reason it was took serious by us last season was swift had to win something or it was goodbye. Don't know a single fan that's bothered with it this season. Team needs a lot more friendly games in my opinion. And they have any sense that's what they'll use it as this season barring the derby of course [emoji23]

Archived