St Mirren v Falkirk SPFL Championship 5/8/17

My my that was rather enjoyable. 

Really did not expect that at half time, but a superb performance from Saints in the second half and a thoroughly deserved win in the end. 

Well played the players and management. 

Special mentions to Reilly and Irvine who I thought both had excellent games. 

Good lord that was horrendous. Started like a train then folded at the slightest sign of pushback. Gallacher was horrendous. Harris has a heart the size of a pea. The midfield two struggled badly, Kerr is done. St Mirren beat us up, Morgan isn't a giant but he's strong and ragdolled Gallacher. McGinn can do the lot.

Final sub was an embarrassment after the red (which was a stick on). Watching that lumbering oaf Gasparotto playing wing back took about 4 years off my life.

Well that was absolutely shite. Agree with Bairnardo that Houston has got to take the blame for that.

We started really well and Fash could and probably should've had a hat-trick in the first 20 minutes. It was like a continuation from the Inverness game where we were happy to let them have the ball and we would win it back and counter but then St. Mirren scored and we absolutely shat it and stopped playing. We were getting completely dominated in the centre of the park and were screaming out for Taiwo to come on at half time and help settle us down.

Second half just continued where the first half finished and it looked a poor error from Thomson for the second goal. When Loy went off that's when we should've brought O'Hara on imo more pace on instead Miller came on and was pretty ineffectual. We had a few decent penalty shouts, I thought MacKenzie on Austin should've been given but we were completely outplayed and outfought and St. Mirren more than deserved the win.

Was the red card for an elbow? Didn't see a whole lot wrong with it tbh. But the decision to bring Gasparotto on for Austin and then to move fucking Shepherd up front in his place what the f**k was that? Abysmal decision.

Pass marks go to very few players Loy, Austin and Hippolyte who imo was comfortably our best player.

Alex Harris gave us absolutely nothing, Kerr was shite, Joe McKee didn't get on the ball at all in that second half, Peter Grant was bullied by John Sutton all day and again Gallacher was very poor. Lewis Morgan was ripping him to bits and the first 2 goals both came from him not getting close to stopping the cross coming in.

I thought we would win today, well that shows what I know, started off well in the first 20 minutes and should have got more than 1 goal but we didn't take our chances and then we fell to fucking bits.

In Defence:

Thomson didn't have much to do in goals other than pick it out of his net, not sure he was really at fault for anything today except maybe the second goal which I didn't get a good look at. Gallacher still has a lot of learning to do but he is young so I don't want to be too critical off him but he will be targeted in the upcoming games and he probably needed/will need more support from hippo. Muirhead really isn't a right back and he still looks a bit weak playing there, this makes us weak on both flanks now, his red card has exposed a lack of important recruitment with Luca coming on at RB (why fucking bother when you are 2 down) which shows we still don't have a proper RB and I am not sure what the plan will be in the upcoming weeks during his suspension.

Grant and Watson looked average most of the time but they were struggling against saints big forward and Grant was out of position a few times charging up field for balls he didn't win.

In Midfield:

I am not sold on Harris yet but he is fairly new to the club so we will have to wait and see, Mckee was anonymous today which is disappointing given his start to the season this year. Kerr and Hippo I thought were ok without particularly standing out but I don't know why Kerr is still getting 90 minutes. Shepard didn't really contribute much after he came on and both he and Harris really need to get their head up when in possession. 

Up Front:

Austin and Loy were playing well to start with but it didn't take long for them to get starved of any service other than long balls which weren't much use, after loy's injury which I hope isn't serious Miller didn't really contribute much, he had 2 good chances but made an arse of both of them, given that he is supposed to be moving more into a coaching role I thought Huston should have brought O'Hara on which would have given us more pace in behind for the punts we had resorted too.

It will be interesting to see how we shape up on Tuesday night against Livi, I don't expect to see Loy on the park so want O'Hara to get a chance.

Ooft. That was enjoyable. Bairns walking out after 80mins and booing their own substitution.

Great switch by Ross to swap wings with Morgan and Smith. Stopped Hippolytes influence on the game and he grew frustrated.

Looked much more like last years team. Always a bit of a shambles at the back but threatening up front.

Today showed why Sutton is still important to the team too.

Not really a surprise to me. We had some fans thinking we were world beaters after thrashing dross in the league cup.

We are not good enough defensively and the keeper showed today why he has had lots of clubs at only 24.

No point getting carried away. We will probably get to the play offs again and lose. The squad is not good enough to win this league and never was.

PS Don't anyone dare say Sibbs would struggle to get a game in this team again.

Over the piece , I thought we were ok without hitting the heights of late last season. I thought Falkirk were awful , pulled all over the place at the back , Kerr is done in midfield , and ineffectual up front. We still need someone to bottle up the midfield imo.

Given todays performance, singling out Harris is purely a personal agenda, as it has been since he signed. Like I said, its Houston for me that takes the brunt rather than specific players since he failed to resolve the fact that St Mirren took control of the game.

Picking Kerr apart that's the team and formation everyone would've picked. The team collectively shitting the bed could be his fault in terms of motivation but that was down to players being gash today. Being bullied from front to back isn't down to Houston. Neither is Harris letting Stelios wander in to equalise, turning the game.

Well that was utter rubbish from us today. Second best pretty much all game!!
Thought the majority of the team were poor, Grant was rushing out to try and win headers he had no chance of winning and had no need to. Gallagher was beaten everytime by his man who just ran past him. Kerr gave away too many passes and silly fouls. Mckee done nothing of note, neither did Harris.
We lost every second ball today, i dont know if it's a positioning thing by our players as it happens far too often for it just to be bad luck.
Also why do our wingers never hit the byline or try and best a man. We've done it for the last couple of years where we run up the wing, get about 30 yards from the byline, stop turn back and play it all the way back to the centre half's and start again!!

Well that was a cracking opening result for us. Gavin Reilly Cammy Smith and Lewis Morgan will cause every team in this league problems if they can play like that.

Reilly had a superb game taking his goal superbly and the cross for Cammy Smith's goal was a beauty.

The ref called the red card correct as the Falkirk lad clearly went in with the elbow.

Good crowd from Falkirk and good support from the home fans getting right behind the team after a poor start.

Good to see we are not going to let teams bully us.:thumsup2

Eckersley Harry Davis and Kyle Magennis all missing so plenty to be encouraged about with that performance.

Just now, bridge of allan bairn said:

Just hope Houston doesn't go back to ultra cautious after today.

He will though..& maybe he is vindicated in doing so...every bairn would have picked that team & we got a doing..it happens I'll accept it with grace & say we deserved to lose

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If his performance today was good enough for you then it's no wonder were stuck in this league. Gallacher isn't good enough either. Today when it really counted we've been awful apart from the first 20. Lduffiot of work to do  if we're going to do anything this season and probably feck all money to sort it.

Based on one difficult away game

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Im desperate for him to be brilliant but its no going to happen im afraid.

Based on one difficult away game.

Our previous make the ball work for us wasn't there today, the returning long over the top into space wide or to Austin returned, even in the 25 mins where we were on top.

It was one mighty fall tho

Hippo, Loy and Austin can hold their heads higher than the rest, its one game tho and only one direction in which we can go.

Well played St Mirren, got their necks in then throttled us

Cheating c**t Stelios

Had to laugh at Lee Miller, of all people, having a go at Stelios. Lee Miller was well riled up, beautiful to see. Red card was a definite.

Gavin Reilly best player on the park.

Good start to the season, game definitely changed when Morgan switched to the right hand side. Falkirk were pretty poor second half, especially when Loy went off. Houston's substitution at 10 men down was a shocker.

I liked the look of Falkirk in the first 20/25 mins, thought they looked like a really good team but it just fell apart after then. Still fancy them to be up there come the end of the season.

Our strikers got a lot out of the Falkirk centre backs today - something we've not had for ages. I'm used to Falkirk defenders bullying and throwing our forwards about but today they were all over the place.

Fair play to St Mirren, better team by a mile. Gallacher will have nightmares about Morgan for months after that. They took their goals well and were comfortable by the end.

As for us, pish.

Long ball for 90 minutes even after it stopped working after 20, hopefully that's given us a kick up the arse and we try to play football next week.