Best and worst areas of your town/city

15 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Im from Stirling (Fallin technicaly) but now live in Alloa so will comment on both

The decent areas in Stirling are most noticeably Torbrex, Riverside, Causweyhead and Braehead,a lot of newish housing in those areas a factor with lots of young proffesionals, couples and retired folk, Cambusbarron, Bannockburn and parts of Whins of Milton are relatively pleasant too.

A lot of the old Raploch has been torn down and replaced with surprisingly decent housing and people, the old part that remains though, most of the houses in and behind the Drip Road are still inhabitated by utter scum, as is a lot of Stirling town centre and the top of the town area, the whole Cowane Street up to Broad Street section is festooned with neds, junkies and general pondlife. I lived in Broad St for ten years and it gradually got worse each year. Not ideal for families with kids, also dont get me started on the bigoted wee ex mining communities to the east of Stirling like the afforementioned Fallin and Plean. As mentioned by another poster the top of St Ninians scores high on the bam count, despite a lot of it being knocked down.

A helluva lot of new housing in the last 20 years has rid Alloa slightly of its reputation as a town full of alcoholic benefit cheats, neds and heroin addicts, they still number quite substantialy down the infamous Mar Policies area and parts of Sauchie and Hawkhill/Hutton Park but not as noticeable as they once were. The new build houses on the old Weir Pumps and Skol Brewery sites are lovely and scumbag free as are the ones behind B&M which are actually quite expensive for a town with Alloa's reputation.

Fallin and plean are shit holes, surprised the kerbs are not painted red white and blue. They have their own 'parades' every July (well I know plean does) around about 7 houses. Pathetic.

i know a boy that's stayed in broad street all his life, explains a lot.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ka202 said:

This is a bit of a Tory thread is it not?

Rich = Good

Poor = Bad

I sort of agree, although obviously poor areas do tend to be far worse places to live. The places which spring to mind as being the worst to live in Glasgow would be places like Milton and Cranhill which are just utterly bleak and where there are high levels of violent crime and theft. Possil around Saracen Street doesn't seem as bad as it's cracked up to be whenever I have visited but admittedly it's not often. I find that deprived areas like Possil, Govanhill, Calton etc. seem a bit better than outlying estates because they tend to have a main thoroughfare of shops and tenements rather than ugly 1960s flats and they are pretty near nicer areas and the city centre. 

I tend to dislike a lot of the pretentious types you find around the west end but there's no denying Finnieston has some cracking pubs and restaurants, so that springs to mind as the best. 

Also, the top end of Sauchiehall St on a Saturday night is filled with absolute roasters. You're probably more likely to be randomly assaulted there than somewhere like Possil. 

There is a band of areas from Logie/Manor at the Haudagain along Great Northern Road through Woodside and Sandilands and from there turning towards the sea down through Tillydrone and Seaton that have some appalling housing and street.

Only other area is Balnagask at the back of Torry has all the charm of a bombed Syrian/Iraqi city with added rain.

Footdee is great for a wander and to have a reasonable beach only 15 minute walk from city centre is good.

Bits of the city centre are good. and nice areas for parks like Duthie Park are close.

Mind working for the thistle foundation in Edinburgh, well was going to be on a 3 day course and as the grounds of the facility looked nice i asked the gaffer if i could either camp or bring my caravan. Gaffer said that i clearly didnt know where i was, 100 yards to the left was craigmillar and to the right niddrie. Was advised to to to a proper campsite or a hotel

45 minutes ago, The OP said:

I sort of agree, although obviously poor areas do tend to be far worse places to live. The places which spring to mind as being the worst to live in Glasgow would be places like Milton and Cranhill which are just utterly bleak and where there are high levels of violent crime and theft. Possil around Saracen Street doesn't seem as bad as it's cracked up to be whenever I have visited but admittedly it's not often. I find that deprived areas like Possil, Govanhill, Calton etc. seem a bit better than outlying estates because they tend to have a main thoroughfare of shops and tenements rather than ugly 1960s flats and they are pretty near nicer areas and the city centre. 

I tend to dislike a lot of the pretentious types you find around the west end but there's no denying Finnieston has some cracking pubs and restaurants, so that springs to mind as the best. 

Also, the top end of Sauchiehall St on a Saturday night is filled with absolute roasters. You're probably more likely to be randomly assaulted there than somewhere like Possil. 

Saracen Street is horrendous. It doesn't matter if it's a Saturday night or a Monday afternoon - the place is hoaching with scum. There can't be many rougher streets in Scotland.

2 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Surprised the Hilltown's getting worse rather than better given it's location and all the money spent in the centre of Dundee.

The physical place isn't worse. It's much better than it was 5 years ago and night and day compared to 15/20 years ago.

The effect of austerity/poverty on the individuals you see about the place is much more noticeable.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Letham is indeed a shitehole but it no worse than say, Charleston. Just a run down 60s council estate full of.....eh....characters. 

Perth overall is a bit of a midden. After they knocked down Muirton and parts of Hunters(which was the worst area by far) they shipped the reprobates to all the other estates, thus in turn changing them from not too bad to utter shiteholes.

Tulloch is still the centre if the earth though. 

This seems to be the policy, instead of corralling all the arseholes in the one place, the authorities (in our case the old NIHE) demolished the estate and distributed the tenants over all the other half decent places, transferring the problems they cause all over town instead of one place.

Dumfries is actually a no bad place. There are some areas that house more junkies but in all honesty there aren't any areas I'd feel uncomfortable walking through at night. The town centre itself seems to be getting an increasing number of incidents so that's probably the worst area just now.

Riverside? you mean Tesco and the airport?
I was tempted with saying the Hilltown but it gets a pass as it does at least have half decent pubs, half decent takeaways and shops etc.
The missus is from Fintry so I need to visit on occasion. It's fine.
Kirkton is indeed the utter fucking pits and manages rise above (below??) the likes of St Marys due to the ongoing inter family warfare.
Spend a decent amount of worktime in Douglas and St Marys and again I would say no real issues with either.
I guess it's what you define as a decent area. I would say amenities is number one which is why Lochee, Stobswell and the Hilltown despite resident opiate enthusiasts and other colourful characters would be lievable. It's places like Mid, Charleston or Mill o Mains I would struggle with.

Riverside as in the old council area - that bit beyond Sinderins.

Riverside? you mean Tesco and the airport?
I was tempted with saying the Hilltown but it gets a pass as it does at least have half decent pubs, half decent takeaways and shops etc.
The missus is from Fintry so I need to visit on occasion. It's fine.
Kirkton is indeed the utter fucking pits and manages rise above (below??) the likes of St Marys due to the ongoing inter family warfare.
Spend a decent amount of worktime in Douglas and St Marys and again I would say no real issues with either.
I guess it's what you define as a decent area. I would say amenities is number one which is why Lochee, Stobswell and the Hilltown despite resident opiate enthusiasts and other colourful characters would be lievable. It's places like Mid, Charleston or Mill o Mains I would struggle with.

Again parts of Charleston are fine. Mill O'Mains is going through a major rebuild (as they did with Ardler). The worst part of any place in Dundee has to be the Beauly end of Kirkton.

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Saracen Street is horrendous. It doesn't matter if it's a Saturday night or a Monday afternoon - the place is hoaching with scum. There can't be many rougher streets in Scotland.

I lived in Lambhill for a while and walked down Saracen Street going to/from the city centre, often late at night. It's certainly a scummy area, the shops are generally defence lawyers/funeral care/off licenses/take aways/bookies but I never saw any bother and as someone alluded to earlier, I felt safer there than in parts of the city centre at closing time. Probably because I didn't actually know anyone there. If I'd grown up in that part I'm sure it would be a different story. My father was very active in the community and had some interesting tales to tell.

As you head towards Port Dundas/Spiers Wharf it gets fancier. There's even a shop selling horse riding supplies. That massive Chinese supermarket is great as well.

Polwarth has most of Edinburgh's best takeaways, and Cineworld. Morningside has some good charity shops. Brunstfield is handy for birthday cards. Not a bad part of town at all. Too much of an uphill trek for throbber's wee legs to cope with. 

No it's not, I could easily get a bus to the most southerly point of Morningside and walk downhill through these areas if I wished.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Polwarth has most of Edinburgh's best takeaways, and Cineworld. Morningside has some good charity shops. Brunstfield is handy for birthday cards. Not a bad part of town at all. Too much of an uphill trek for throbber's wee legs to cope with. 

I can't think of a single good takeaway in Polwarth and I've tried most of them.

2 hours ago, The OP said:

I'm completely bored of Finnieston after a year and a half in Glasgow. You're as well to go to the west end, at least there's more variety. Both areas are full of wankers anyway.

1 hour ago, DBoy10 said:

Best - Stobswell.

Worst - Kirkton. 

Fucking Downfield being the best in Dundee! :lol:

Lived in Stobswell for two years, didn't dislike it but it's a bit of a dump.

5 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

That area around Rossie Place is gentrifying quite quickly although there'll still be plenty of the original families living there. Know a shopkeeper near top of Easter Road  that told me Starbucks are currently trying to get a unit there, couldn't believe it. 

My friend lives on Rossie Place and she still finds it a bit dodgy.

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

In my village the best bit is the green, the worst bit is behind the green.

I'll give an opinion on Dundee though.

Best - Perth Road

Worst - I dunno its just all shades of shiteness after that.

There are plenty of good areas in Dundee.

I don't know Glasgow well enough to comment on bad areas but I've certainly settled in well in the south side. Loads of good pubs and cafés, decent enough transport links to the city centre and a quick escape to the airport.

6 hours ago, throbber said:

I was about to say this, Bobby is forever trying to pretend he's middle class.

Brunstsfield and Polwarth are nowhere near as posh as Morningside, I actually think all those areas are overrated and lack character compared to Stockbridge. I also think that the Meadows is totally overrated compared to Inverleith park and the Botanic gardens.

I don't pretend anything, unlike you making out you live on the border with Leith when you're closer to Muirhouse. The Meadows shit on Inverleith Park, the botanics are nice if you're a pensioner or JMOthecat.

Stockbridge is a lovely part of the city though, if a bit pretentious.

18 minutes ago, Darren said:

I can't think of a single good takeaway in Polwarth and I've tried most of them.

I

The Fountainpark Fry (corner of Gibson Terrace) is really good - good pizzas. So Good Chinese takeaway too.

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The Fountainpark Fry (corner of Gibson Terrace) is really good - good pizzas. So Good Chinese takeaway too.

The Guru is also worth a mention. The area has a few more independent restaurants than takeaways that deprived areas such as Longstone have.

Archived