Best and worst areas of your town/city

Just now, Brother Blades said:

Lives in Raploch type post IMO.

Possibly a Heaney.

The tabloids are poorer without Big Mags (RIP). Give me a pic and a story about her any day over some reality TV bimbo with an inflated arse and mouth. 

1790500.main_image.jpg?strip=all&w=300&h

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birmingham 

Best - For pubs I would say the Jewellery Quarter. I quite like it by the canals in the town centre too. Solihull and Sutton Coldfield are okay too.

Worst - Small Heath seems like the obvious answer, shabby and rundown.... but that's enough about Blues.

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Dalkeith.

Best is the top bit. Surrounded by open countryside and nice views over to Edinburgh. Plus Gary Locke often seen running along my street. What else could a town hope to offer?

Worst part is Eskbank. Overrun by Tories in overpriced crumbling accommodation. Has no heart. (Eskbank Trading Post beer selection honourably exempted.)

The rest of it is a shambles.

Awful place to live and I can't quite recall why I chose to stay there.

This.

1 hour ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Birmingham 

Best - For pubs I would say the Jewellery Quarter. I quite like it by the canals in the town centre too. Solihull and Sutton Coldfield are okay too.

Worst - Small Heath seems like the obvious answer, shabby and rundown.... but that's enough about Blues.

I used to drink in a pub in the Jewellery Quarter owned by an absolute nutter :) Sadly, its no longer there :( I suspect, given his age at the time and adverse affects of taking a lot of drugs in the 70s he probably isnt either

1 hour ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Birmingham 

Birmingham is an utter toilet with zero redeeming features in my view. And I live in Bo'ness which is hardly a charming little fishing village. 

17 minutes ago, HTG said:

Birmingham is an utter toilet with zero redeeming features in my view. And I live in Bo'ness which is hardly a charming little fishing village. 

Yeah, because a city of over a million people is bound to exactly the same all over.

Just like any other city, it has nice parts and not nice parts - and in Birminghams case some very not nice parts.

The city centre is nice, but the areas immediately surrounding it are pretty awful. The rest of the city is kind of like lots of little towns that have all converged into one city. Most of them have nice areas and not nice areas

Edinburgh
Worst - Most of the places north of or around Ferry Road seem pretty dodgy, Drylaw, Pilton, Silverknowes and so on though I haven't been there that much (thankfully!?)

Best - I love Bruntsfield and Morningside. I'll never get to live there though. Quite like Stockbridge, Merchiston and Polwarth as well.

Silverknowes is basically fine, I believe. Pilton and Drylaw are total cesspits though. Weather Hailes is still the worst area of Edinburgh though, with honourable mentions to Broomhouse and Muirhouse.

Im from Stirling (Fallin technicaly) but now live in Alloa so will comment on both

The decent areas in Stirling are most noticeably Torbrex, Riverside, Causweyhead and Braehead,a lot of newish housing in those areas a factor with lots of young proffesionals, couples and retired folk, Cambusbarron, Bannockburn and parts of Whins of Milton are relatively pleasant too.

A lot of the old Raploch has been torn down and replaced with surprisingly decent housing and people, the old part that remains though, most of the houses in and behind the Drip Road are still inhabitated by utter scum, as is a lot of Stirling town centre and the top of the town area, the whole Cowane Street up to Broad Street section is festooned with neds, junkies and general pondlife. I lived in Broad St for ten years and it gradually got worse each year. Not ideal for families with kids, also dont get me started on the bigoted wee ex mining communities to the east of Stirling like the afforementioned Fallin and Plean. As mentioned by another poster the top of St Ninians scores high on the bam count, despite a lot of it being knocked down.

A helluva lot of new housing in the last 20 years has rid Alloa slightly of its reputation as a town full of alcoholic benefit cheats, neds and heroin addicts, they still number quite substantialy down the infamous Mar Policies area and parts of Sauchie and Hawkhill/Hutton Park but not as noticeable as they once were. The new build houses on the old Weir Pumps and Skol Brewery sites are lovely and scumbag free as are the ones behind B&M which are actually quite expensive for a town with Alloa's reputation.

Aberdeen

Worst - Tillydrone is a total midden. One of the most deprived places in Scotland and it shows. Balnagask isn't the nicest place going although Torry gets a bit of a hard time. It's not as bad as some parts of the city like Northfield. Froghall is a dump as is Woodside.

Best - Old Aberdeen is really nice and I loved living in Rosemount when I was a student. Rubislaw is really nice but full of rich (well maybe not any more) oil folk with big houses.

Pretty much nailed my own thoughts on the best.

'The Logie' / Manor near the Haudagain is the worst though imo. Additionally, I once went to an after-party in Sandilands and it was worse than Mother Superior's flat in Trainspotting inside. Scary.

Funny thing with Northfield is that despite the rep', all the streets are clogged with pretty decent cars. That said, I recently gave a 'Freecycle' drop off (old PC for a young wifey starting college) on Arnage Drive and it looked depressingly grim inside.

Essentially, a lot of places seem 'ok' from the outside, but there can be a fair difference in interiors. Aberdeen being Aberdeen, even the council buildings are built of granite so they hardly look run down. It's the flat roof that gives the game away, an odd feature in Scotland that's reserved for a settlement's worst areas.

Just now, Dominique Malonga said:

My two older brothers grew up there all their days....it was an eye opener going to visit them.

Some parts of Wester Hailes are worse than others.  Murrayburn, the Walkers and Drumbryden is worse than Hailesland.   

Muirhouse and West Pilton is the worst area of Edinburgh though.    Shouts of Craigmillar are wide of the mark these days since Greendykes and the lower half of Niddrie have been flattened.   

On #Perthshire  it's basically all good, and some of it is borderline magnificent.  

Archived