Best and worst areas of your town/city

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Harry Kinnear said:

Grangemouth - the docks and Petrochemical plants are really nice, the rest is pretty meh

Gets a greenie just for being named after the legend that sits in front of me at Bayview...

8 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Worst of Clydebank could be Whitecrook, Faifley, Clydebank East (which locally is called Yoker, though technically Yoker is the part of Glasgow immediately over the county line and bordering it). Additionally, Dalmuir, Radnor Park and parts of Drumry aren't great.

Yoker you say....????

Way back in 1992, I went to visit a mate who was living in Dundee at the time. Where he stayed was a bit rough, to say the least. I just can't remember where it was. I remember being at a bowling alley and walking back to his place. It was north of the alley, and would only have been 10/15 min walk. I know It's a bit of a long shot, but, do any of you Dundee guys have an idea where that would have been?

5 minutes ago, scotfree said:

Way back in 1992, I went to visit a mate who was living in Dundee at the time. Where he stayed was a bit rough, to say the least. I just can't remember where it was. I remember being at a bowling alley and walking back to his place. It was north of the alley, and would only have been 10/15 min walk. I know It's a bit of a long shot, but, do any of you Dundee guys have an idea where that would have been?

Forfar

1 hour ago, scotfree said:

Luckily you had your compass with you or we would have no chance figuring out where you had been. 

I've lived all over Fife and in the Falkirk area. the best area of any town is the Linktown area of Kirkcaldy. Near the town centre, a beautiful beach, the links market, home of The Rovers and there is always plenty happening. 

Worst area I have stayed in was Langlees in Falkirk. Absolute shithole. 

5 hours ago, scotfree said:

Not sure if the Megabowl was open in 1992, maybe just, but otherwise the only bowling place was the GX Superbowl at Kingsway East. A 10 minute walk north from there would take you into deepest Douglas, which in 1992 was probably a bit of a bin.

The Megabowl opened in Lochee in the early 90's, but if you walked north from there into Beechwood you wouldn't be around to tell the tale. 

Edit - you could probably have reached Whitfield from the Superbowl in that time, which has been mentioned several times on this thread as one of Dundee's worst areas. Most of it has been flattened today.

I'm probably a bit biased, but there are many parts of the Southside which are very nice ... Shawlands is okay for a drink, and Battlefield / Cathcart is fine for us older types who don't want to the hustle and bustle of city life but still want to stay close to the toon.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

Not sure if the Megabowl was open in 1992, maybe just, but otherwise the only bowling place was the GX Superbowl at Kingsway East. A 10 minute walk north from there would take you into deepest Douglas, which in 1992 was probably a bit of a bin.

The Megabowl opened in Lochee in the early 90's, but if you walked north from there into Beechwood you wouldn't be around to tell the tale. 

Edit - you could probably have reached Whitfield from the Superbowl in that time, which has been mentioned several times on this thread as one of Dundee's worst areas. Most of it has been flattened today.

Cheers. I remember that there were f**k loads of empty houses, with just a few lights on that showed a sign of life. That was mainly around where the bowling alley was. I actually quite liked Dundee. 

11 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

f**k sake. I'm hopeless. I always lived in Westfield, right down the other end of the town so not really up that way much. 

Speaking of which, Westfield doesn't have a pub and I was jumped there once in about 2005 (by people from Condorrat tbf). Worst area. Balloch Eastfield on the other hand (despite the fact Eastfield is identical to Westfield) - best area. 

9 hours ago, RR #1 said:

I've lived all over Fife and in the Falkirk area. the best area of any town is the Linktown area of Kirkcaldy. Near the town centre, a beautiful beach, the links market, home of The Rovers and there is always plenty happening. 

Worst area I have stayed in was Langlees in Falkirk. Absolute shithole. 

Are you on the wind up here??

Many moons ago,my late dad was manager of Jollys in Broughty Ferry.When it came to retirement time(1983),he was entitled to a council house,as it was tied accomodation in the hotel.This applied to Dundee,but also the neighbouring councils in Angus and Fife.Got a phone call from my mum saying they were going to look at a house in Cardenden,to which the reply was "No you're not"..Close call,they ended up in Monifieth,so all well in the end.

Archived