Best and worst areas of your town/city

Best  - Leith, if I preferred anywhere else, I'd be living there. Huge amount of variety and arguably the best area in the country imo.

Worst - That part of North Edinburgh around West Pilton/Muirhouse seems to be a constant source of problems.  Cause by kids mainly as well which makes it harder to deal with.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best. Most of it. Old Tow, Meadows, New Town, Stockbridge, Leith, Pubic Triangle - too much to mention.

Worst. Liberton/Gilmerton. Not that there's much wrong with it but I always get a bit lost as find that it all looks the same.  

The Polwarth/Bruntsfield/Morningside triangle is obviously the classiest place in town. Special mentions to the Shore, the Meadows, Stockbridge and Portobello. 

The worst is probably either Craigmillar or Wester Hailes.

Dalkeith.

Best is the top bit. Surrounded by open countryside and nice views over to Edinburgh. Plus Gary Locke often seen running along my street. What else could a town hope to offer?

Worst part is Eskbank. Overrun by Tories in overpriced crumbling accommodation. Has no heart. (Eskbank Trading Post beer selection honourably exempted.)

The rest of it is a shambles.

Awful place to live and I can't quite recall why I chose to stay there.

15 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I had to take the bairn to some dancing competition in Wester Hailes a few months back.

Next time, she's going to Homs.

I'm just up the road from Wester Hailes. Admittedly there are high fences, guards and a motorway in between but as the crow flies it's just down the road. The local shopping emporium (Westside Plaza) is always worth a visit. The security guys patrol in groups of six or seven. 

27 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Dalkeith.

Best is the top bit. Surrounded by open countryside and nice views over to Edinburgh. Plus Gary Locke often seen running along my street. What else could a town hope to offer?

Worst part is Eskbank. Overrun by Tories in overpriced crumbling accommodation. Has no heart. (Eskbank Trading Post beer selection honourably exempted.)

The rest of it is a shambles.

Awful place to live and I can't quite recall why I chose to stay there.

He'll be doing his paper round.

28 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

In a similar vein, I once saw Csaba Laszlo walking along the canal admiring the bushes and flowers around Craiglockhart. 

29 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

The Polwarth/Bruntsfield/Morningside triangle is obviously the classiest place in town. Special mentions to the Shore, the Meadows, Stockbridge and Portobello. 

The worst is probably either Craigmillar or Wester Hailes.

Craigmillar doesn't seem too bad imo, loads of cash has been spent regenerating it and whilst you can't polish a turd it seems alright now although I'd never live there myself. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

In a similar vein, I once saw Csaba Laszlo walking along the canal admiring the bushes and flowers around Craiglockhart. 

I saw Roman Bednar buying a multipack of Iced Gems in the Easter Road Scotmid once, but I don't brag about it. 

1 minute ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Craigmillar doesn't seem too bad imo, loads of cash has been spent regenerating it and whilst you can't polish a turd it seems alright now although I'd never live there myself. 

It still has those skag friendly high rise flats, the ones that make living in Grenfall Tower more appealing.

Best - Dundonald Rd/South Hamilton St. area in which Rugby Park is situated.

Worst - Probably Sunnyside area of Shortlees or Altonhill/Knockinlaw (where most of The Scheme was filmed, rather than Onthank which they claimed it to be).

Best - Kings park or Bridge of allan

Worst - Raploch or Top of St Ninians.

not entirely sure how we are defining best/worst but Iv went for the richest/cleanest places against the most depraved with higher crime rates.

prefer people from the latter 2 though.

Best - Kings park or Bridge of allan
Worst - Raploch or Top of St Ninians.
not entirely sure how we are defining best/worst but Iv went for the richest/cleanest places against the most depraved with higher crime rates.
prefer people from the latter 2 though.

Lives in Raploch type post IMO.

Possibly a Heaney.

Inverness

Worst - the city centre is an utter shit hole. I sometimes get homesick and like the idea of moving back there and up until recently I was considering it but any time I do go back and wander through the middle of town I start to loath the place. Shame really as the parts down by the river are nice. The centre of town needs a really good clean up. Hilton is also a pipe fest as is Merkinch.

Best - Lochardil and Culduthel seem nice enough and the newish houses that have sprung up out that way from Inshes down to the Dores road seem pleasant enough. Best part of Inverness, well the surrounding area, is Balloch 8)

Aberdeen

Worst - Tillydrone is a total midden. One of the most deprived places in Scotland and it shows. Balnagask isn't the nicest place going although Torry gets a bit of a hard time. It's not as bad as some parts of the city like Northfield. Froghall is a dump as is Woodside.

Best - Old Aberdeen is really nice and I loved living in Rosemount when I was a student. Rubislaw is really nice but full of rich (well maybe not any more) oil folk with big houses.

Edinburgh

Worst - Most of the places north of or around Ferry Road seem pretty dodgy, Drylaw, Pilton, Silverknowes and so on though I haven't been there that much (thankfully!?)

Best - I love Bruntsfield and Morningside. I'll never get to live there though. Quite like Stockbridge, Merchiston and Polwarth as well.

Archived