Teachers of P&B

Just now, pandarilla said:

Our advice is to make a decision based on if you think the pupil would have achieved it under normal circumstances.

So even if they've not made much (or any of its a late switch to n4) progress, we could still estimate a pass if we'd have expected them to get it done normally.

Yeah, that's the plan.  No chance am I not giving a boy the N5 when he was in every class, worked hard and would have completed it within the two weeks we were supposed to have left.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Our advice is to make a decision based on if you think the pupil would have achieved it under normal circumstances.

So even if they've not made much (or any of its a late switch to n4) progress, we could still estimate a pass if we'd have expected them to get it done normally.

This is what we were told as well. I I'd two classes sitting national progression awards this year and none of them had finished the last unit assessment. Provided they had passes for the other two units and had been making good progress in the third I suggested that they'd manage to gain a pass provided they'd had the time.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This.

It's not a waste, although it's obviously a bit unsatisfactory.  

In a way though, it makes such work more meaningful, rather than less, in that it will loom larger in estimates for courses that now lack an exam.  

There is a big incentive for kids to ensure the work is as strong as possible now, because teachers will want as much material of a high standard as they can get.

We had N5 stuff collected last Wednesday.  I'm starting SQA marking as usual next week.

MFP or MFI?

Because our MFI stuff (the QP) has obviously been scrapped. Our MFP (assignments) were due to be delivered to people yesterday, but all we got was an email asking if we were still up for marking!

And yes, a couple of people are correct, they got picked up on Wednesday. We had to have them with the depute on Tuesday, that's what I was thinking of.

8 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

MFP or MFI?

Because our MFI stuff (the QP) has obviously been scrapped. Our MFP (assignments) were due to be delivered to people yesterday, but all we got was an email asking if we were still up for marking!

And yes, a couple of people are correct, they got picked up on Wednesday. We had to have them with the depute on Tuesday, that's what I was thinking of.

I'm MFI.  What do you mean it's been scrapped?

I got the e-mail yesterday asking if I was still prepared to mark.  We weren't scheduled to have a Markers' Meeting this year anyway.  I've still to do that irritating SQA Academy thing, but it looks to me like business as usual.

Our QP, like every other QP has been scrapped. Are you MFI for coursework like assignments or something?

I'm MFI.  What do you mean it's been scrapped?
I got the e-mail yesterday asking if I was still prepared to mark.  We weren't scheduled to have a Markers' Meeting this year anyway.  I've still to do that irritating SQA Academy thing, but it looks to me like business as usual.

Teams I think. Some folk are doing googledocs but I'm not as advanced as that...

Can I ask if there is a platform where we can upload worksheets in Word which can be completed and saved by the kids so teachers can mark them? Specifically for KS1 so the easier to use the better. Also free would be lovely.

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Should have gone last Tuesday I think!

I spent some time going over old Higher spreadsheets yesterday and comparing prelim grades and final estimates to final results. Turns out I have been pretty spot on over the years so am confident to go "as is" this time around.
N5 number crunching is my main task today...

Always easier when you take the bottom set, eh?

7 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

SQA confirming that Higher and Advanced Higher coursework will not be marked. I'll have a lot of gutted kids who spent a shit load of time on something that's worth nothing now.

It’s about the journey, not the destination.

tell them that, behind some sort of barricade.

7 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

MFP or MFI?

Got an e-mail tonight saying they'll contact me soon to "confirm the situation with the marking of National 5 coursework".  It sounds a bit less clear cut than I'd thought.

We'll see.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Got an e-mail tonight saying they'll contact me soon to "confirm the situation with the marking of National 5 coursework".  It sounds a bit less clear cut than I'd thought.

We'll see.

Yeah, me too. Marker Check could be wild this year!

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

On 25/03/2020 at 15:17, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Our QP, like every other QP has been scrapped. Are you MFI for coursework like assignments or something?

Well external SQA marking, even of N5 coursework which has already been collected from schools, is not going to happen at all this year.

A strange sounding decision, but there we are.

Just had a quick look at this thread and thought some of your teachers may enjoy a snippet from this week's More or less on Radio 4 - particularly the stats on predicted grades vs achieved grades for A Levels.  An enjoyable few minutes starting at 21:45

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000h7st

21 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Just had a quick look at this thread and thought some of your teachers may enjoy a snippet from this week's More or less on Radio 4 - particularly the stats on predicted grades vs achieved grades for A Levels.  An enjoyable few minutes starting at 21:45

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000h7st

Yes, I heard that the other day.

Predicted grades are a bit daft in a Scottish context because they come so early in courses, but UCAS require them.  In the rest of the UK, they've assumed exaggerated significance, because some universities have taken to making unconditional offers to kids who have yet to sit any A Levels.  It's not really on and probably won't last as a practice.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I heard that the other day.

Predicted grades are a bit daft in a Scottish context because they come so early in courses, but UCAS require them.  In the rest of the UK, they've assumed exaggerated significance, because some universities have taken to offering unconditional offers to kids who have yet to sit any A Levels.  It's not really on and probably won't last as a practice.

I'm dubious about the ethics of unconditional offers.  In saying that, my youngest got such from the Uni/course of her choice in Feb although she did have to go through an interview and presentation so it wasn't entirely based on predicted grades.

I was interested in the fact that teachers' predictions seem to be on the optimistic side and how, in England, they will deal with that when deciding A Level outcomes this year.

Well external SQA marking, even of N5 coursework which has already been collected from schools, is not going to happen at all this year.
A strange sounding decision, but there we are.
Has that been announced?

That's strange. Surely they should've marked what they had to add it to the estimates?

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Has that been announced?

That's strange. Surely they should've marked what they had to add it to the estimates?

I would have thought so, but apparently they can't proceed with the process "in a safe and secure manner".  They claim to "have taken this difficult decision to be as fair as possible to all National 5 learners".

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm dubious about the ethics of unconditional offers.  In saying that, my youngest got such from the Uni/course of her choice in Feb although she did have to go through an interview and presentation so it wasn't entirely based on predicted grades.

I was interested in the fact that teachers' predictions seem to be on the optimistic side and how, in England, they will deal with that when deciding A Level outcomes this year.

A further difficulty in England was that some universities were offering 'conditional unconditionals', the condition being that the candidate picked that university as their firm choice.  That is unethical and reflects the 'bums on seats' direction that much of higher education has been dragged in.

Unconditional offers have always been a Scottish feature of course because by the time most apply, a round of Highers has already been sat.

We're getting tighter guidance just today, on how to frame estimates, and what the SQA will then subject them to, before arriving at final grades.  These estimates apply at all levels though, and are quite distinct from the predicted grades offered to UCAS, typically back in around October.