Teachers of P&B

4 hours ago, Paco said:

One of them was offered a job in the central belt, then? You could live in Edinburgh Castle and commute to Methil no trouble.

If I was looking for a job in the central belt and ended up in Methil I'd would exactly be pleased.

If I was looking for a job in the central belt and ended up in Methil I'd would exactly be pleased.

I do understand that, I don't think anyone ending up in Methil is ever pleased, but if you're just looking for a job in 'the central belt' and aren't tied to a particular area, then getting offered somewhere commutable from Edinburgh, Dundee, St Andrews or a variety of other towns (Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Livingston, Perth, Kinross, Cupar, etc) has to be counted as a win, surely?

2 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

A lot of food for thought in this thread. Did any of you tick the 'willing to work anywhere' box for your probationary year? If a couple both ticked it would they send us both to the same remote area? I suppose the alternative would be move back to Glasgow and get something within travel distance but that extra money would be good and I do like the idea of being in an idyllic part of the country for a while. Also working on the assumption permenant jobs in the central belt, particularly Glasgow and Edinburgh, are much harder to get?

Can you not apply for central belt first and then go remote if that fails?  I'd imagine it'd be pretty tough getting a place in a central belt town let alone city if your experience is just from a sleepy school in the highlands somewhere.

7 hours ago, kilbowie2002 said:

I believe you may have visited Dumbarton Academy between 1998 and 2004... if so you may well have taught me. I was done good at England, me won English price in forth yeer.
Also, the PT and just about every one of the teachers were all mental.

I would just have missed you - did my placements in 2005, but I wasn't in Dumbarton Academy either (I was a handful of miles north of Dumbarton, so you can probably work it out...) It was in Dumbarton Academy that my mate had photos taken of him by one of the English staff though, presumably someone who was around when you were there. 

Edited by alternative maryhill

3 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

A lot of food for thought in this thread. Did any of you tick the 'willing to work anywhere' box for your probationary year? If a couple both ticked it would they send us both to the same remote area? I suppose the alternative would be move back to Glasgow and get something within travel distance but that extra money would be good and I do like the idea of being in an idyllic part of the country for a while. Also working on the assumption permenant jobs in the central belt, particularly Glasgow and Edinburgh, are much harder to get?

It's a while ago now obviously, but iirc if you ticked 'anywhere', which I didn't, then you pretty much had to go where you were put. Re. permanent jobs, they do seem to come up fairly regularly in Glasgow and particularly in North Ayrshire and North Lanarkshire, but then that's for English, which is usually the biggest department in any school, so I guess you might find posts down here harder to come by for your subject. 

6 hours ago, harry94 said:

At a certain level though, I don't really see the point in it.

Advanced Higher was just one big paper over three hours which made sense but Higher had the two exams in quite a demanding time frame which I remember being quite intense at the time. The only reason I think that they had the two papers at higher was the trigonometric functions. If that is the case and there is nothing else I'm forgetting, I don't really see why they couldn't have had the current 'non-calculator' question start off by asking for a quick sketch of a graph (showing where you've taken your points) as having a calculator won't really do you much good there and I don't think it really obscures what is being taught.

I get it's a tougher argument lower down but if you're being asked to do long division for example, it is about the process and although a calculator may be helpful for validation, it isn't going to take away from the main purpose.

Long division isn't taught anymore. I was taught it in P4. There is a division algorithm used in AH, and it takes a bit of explaining given that they've barely been taught what division is these days.

The courses nowadays have been dumbed down to a shadow of the exams sat a generation ago. I doubt that the Universities have dumbed down the path to being a doctor or whatever, so where are the gaps filled in?

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I recently saw someone writing down the area of a circle as πd3.

I struggle to believe this.  Everyone knows the area of a circle is πd²/4 so maybe she was actually referring to the volume of a sphere which is πd3/6?

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I recently saw someone writing down the area of a circle as πd3.

I saw just about every combination involving A, C, π, r, d and powers when I marked General.

I now play the Circle Song on YouTube to my classes so that the forgetful ones will at least have an earworm to remember.

4 hours ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Ah ok, just the English dept at DA was verrrrry strange, all absolutely mental and the headie did have a breakdown. You need to ask your mate who, intrigued now! guessing it was for personal reasons the pics were taken! Oh yes I know where you went now, was Jen at the school in that dept when you were there?

I'm not sure if there was a Jen there or not, but I've got a shite memory for names. There were four or five women in the dept, iirc, all probably 40+ and I know one of them moved on to Our Lady & St Pat's a couple of years later - could that have been her? 

Was that Mr Galletly? I loved that guy.
History guy with ginger hair? He was so knowledgeable but got such a hard time. I really enjoyed Modern Studies at school, the one class where your own opinion mattered and all the neds ruined it by acting like weans.

Was about to ask if it was Colin Gellatly. Met him when I was on placement at Dumbarton Academy back in 1995 - he was bonkers - the guy who was the other Modern Studies teacher was a guy called Jim Arnold - lovely guy with a soft spot for The Bankies so that made him alright in my book !!

Long division isn't taught anymore. I was taught it in P4. There is a division algorithm used in AH, and it takes a bit of explaining given that they've barely been taught what division is these days.
The courses nowadays have been dumbed down to a shadow of the exams sat a generation ago. I doubt that the Universities have dumbed down the path to being a doctor or whatever, so where are the gaps filled in?

Judging what you and others have posted, primary sounds pretty grim in Scotland.

I have taught long division in Year 3/4. As for division itself - I would expect a child in Year 1 to be secure in the concept and apply it. This was pretty standard when I taught Year 1.