Cash or Cashless?

Romeo

Cash or Cashless  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am happy enough to use both cash and contactless in general but I do slightly prefer cash as I find it easier to budget.

Mainly I hate the thought that all economic privacy would be gone. Stores will start recording what you buy in your weekly shop, banks would know exactly how much money you had, what you were spending it on, and probably start offering "financial advice" based on it I.e telling you what you shouldn't be buying (as one bank years ago tried to do with me). They'd know if you took drugs (I don't but I know a few folk who like some weed, how do you pay?) and networks would develop to let your work/police know.

Stuff of nightmares, f**k that.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I am happy enough to use both cash and contactless in general but I do slightly prefer cash as I find it easier to budget.

Mainly I hate the thought that all economic privacy would be gone. Stores will start recording what you buy in your weekly shop, banks would know exactly how much money you had, what you were spending it on, and probably start offering "financial advice" based on it I.e telling you what you shouldn't be buying (as one bank years ago tried to do with me). They'd know if you took drugs (I don't but I know a few folk who like some weed, how do you pay?) and networks would develop to let your work/police know.

Not sure if you are serious or not, given that most, if not all of that already happens.

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Not sure if you are serious or not, given that most, if not all of that already happens.

Well, exactly. If you pay by cash then there is a limit to what information they can gather and link to you (unless you use those stupid loyalty scheme cards). Generally people knowing what I get at the shops isn't an issue but they seem to gather data on people for the sake of it, rather than it genuinely being for a good purpose.

If that's how they act when cash is an alternative, then I can see it becoming even more intrusive when cash is removed as an option.

Just now, Jambomo said:

Well, exactly. If you pay by cash then there is a limit to what information they can gather and link to you (unless you use those stupid loyalty scheme cards). Generally people knowing what I get at the shops isn't an issue but they seem to gather data on people for the sake of it, rather than it genuinely being for a good purpose.

If that's how they act when cash is an alternative, then I can see it becoming even more intrusive when cash is removed as an option.

Data gathering from things like that is a huge industry. Dunnhumby is probably the best known British company. I think Tesco sold their share for £2bn odds a few years back, or at least sold part of their stake. The level of insight they were able to get simply from knowing what people were buying and where was pretty astonishing and is seen as one of the main reasons Tesco ended up growing to be the largest UK supermarket chain. It happens on so many other things that you just wouldn't assume initially. I worked for a bank in the past who would monitor card transactions and send mailshots targeted to specific groups. If you paid the odd tenner to a gambling firm for example they would send you emails about things like CFD's and Financial Spread Trading, hoping that the gambler in you would give it a bash. If you bought tickets through Ticketmaster you'd be getting stuff relating to gigs that they were sponsoring and the like. It is expensive, but it works often enough that it is worth it.

12 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Someone told me at the weekend that Big Issue salesman can take bank cards. Not sure if that's true or not. 

They'll nick your cash as well given the chance.

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Data gathering from things like that is a huge industry. Dunnhumby is probably the best known British company. I think Tesco sold their share for £2bn odds a few years back, or at least sold part of their stake. The level of insight they were able to get simply from knowing what people were buying and where was pretty astonishing and is seen as one of the main reasons Tesco ended up growing to be the largest UK supermarket chain. It happens on so many other things that you just wouldn't assume initially. I worked for a bank in the past who would monitor card transactions and send mailshots targeted to specific groups. If you paid the odd tenner to a gambling firm for example they would send you emails about things like CFD's and Financial Spread Trading, hoping that the gambler in you would give it a bash. If you bought tickets through Ticketmaster you'd be getting stuff relating to gigs that they were sponsoring and the like. It is expensive, but it works often enough that it is worth it.

I must be an absolute pain in the arse for my bank.  I don't have, and never have had a mortgage, i've got no loans, I never go into my overdraft and I have a credit card that I use very infrequently and pay off when I do.

They seem to be deploying a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" policy in the mailshots they send me.

edit: Regarding my overdraft, a few years ago I noticed that my overdraft on my current account had gone from £300 to £2000.  I hadn't asked for this and had not been informed it was happening.  When I contacted them, I got some shit about "adjusting accounts to better suit the customer"  After half an hour and 2 managers I got it put back to the £300 that I never use.

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I must be an absolute pain in the arse for my bank.  I don't have, and never have had a mortgage, i've got no loans, I never go into my overdraft and I have a credit card that I use very infrequently and pay off when I do.

They seem to be deploying a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" policy in the mailshots they send me.

Do you find a £50, or a £100 note more comfortable to wipe your arse with? 

Just now, Rugster said:

Do you find a £50, or a £100 note more comfortable to wipe your arse with? 

Funnily enough, I recently had a number of £50's and £100's.  It's the first time I'd seen any for easily over 10 years (some arsehole taxi company paid me in £100's for a homer I'd done for them).

And £100's.  More absorbent and a larger surface area.

3 hours ago, Sooky said:

That's my main issue with contactless, needing to remember exactly how much I've spent using it because it doesn't come off immediately. So if I'm particularly skint I'll sometimes just use chip and pin even if it's under £30.

As someone who works part time on checkouts in a supermarket, a cashless society is appealing. The amount of people who scramble around looking for exact change for you whilst there's a fucking massive queue behind them. Plus usually about half of the time they don't even fucking have it.

Good thing is if you are skint and get paid in a few days you can make a small amount go further and it won't come off until after you've been paid.

I've never used my overdraft and from what I can deduce from the letters about it it seems to go down regularly. I don't see the point in an overdraft anyway. I'm not going to spend money I don't have. I don't see why you would, barring emergency.

15 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

America still has cards you have to sign for, it'll be centuries before they go cashless

When I was in Vegas a few months ago a girl in a shop was really excited to tell me about their new chip and pin facility which was recently installed when I asked to pay by card. 

Seemed bemused when I told her we'd had it for years and were now onto contactless. 

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/#12c577876668

The day my local boozer takes contactless cards so you can buy and pay for a pint without hard cash, will be the day hell freezes over.

All card transactions are open to analysis by banks (c**ts) and they know what you buy. These b*****ds will sell their grannies, and they will sell your transaction analysis.

Same with supermarkets. Use a loyalty card to 'collect points' and what you bought gets analysed and they know exactly what you spent your money on, even if it was paid cash. 

Anarchy is the way forward. Pay cash for everything and don't leave any trail of recorded detailed transactions behind you.

Just get cash out of the teller machine. C**ts who buy a newspaper with a credit card are f**kwits.

17 minutes ago, xNicola_Ghirl1888x said:

Taking cash out is the only way I dinnae blow everything in my bank account on Day 1 so ye cannae get rid of cash altogether. :thumbsdown

Plus how'd ye give money tae people if there's no cash? Like pocket money for weans, are they gonna have bank cards now?! :blink:

We've been over this, FFS. Microchip bolted onto their foreheads. Perfectly reasonable.

On another note, why do folk get so hot and bothered about supermarkets knowing what they buy?

Archived