Edinburgh Fringe 2018

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m off to this today with big man Bonksy and our American friend. Looking forward to to introducing said American into Scottish traditions such as pint sharing.

After reading the first sentence I was already thinking of straw jokes. Then you spoiled it you sheep shagging, pint sharing, Liam loving c**t.

Guest bernardblack

Trevor Lock wasn’t as good as previous years, but still excellent.

Jim Campbell from the football ramble was better than expected.

On 8/11/2018 at 13:08, JMDP said:

I heartily recommend Larry Dean's show as well as the magician Pete Firman.

Both excellent. 

I'll second your Pete Firman and I'll recommend Stephen Bailey, really good gay comedian you'll see on the TV in years to come.  Don't worry if you're straight, he won't pick on you as he's too busy hitting on the other gays in the audience.  

17 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

I'll second your Pete Firman and I'll recommend Stephen Bailey, really good gay comedian you'll see on the TV in years to come.  Don't worry if you're straight, he won't pick on you as he's too busy hitting on the other gays in the audience.  

^^^bitter and ugly.

On 11/08/2018 at 12:07, swiftyswifty swifty said:

Honourable shout for 3000 Trees, a one-man play about the suspicious nature of the death of  Glasgow lawyer and Scottish Nationalist Willie Macrae. 

Also enjoyed Phil Differ's Billy and Me. 

Heading in again tonight to see Jerry Sadowitz. 

I’m going to 3000 trees. Sounds interesting as I’d never heard of the case before. 

Spent 2 days this year at the fringe - Sunday 5th and Monday 6th.  Sunday was a more relaxed day with nothing booked, just took in some shows when we needed to get out the pubs.

Of those shows I would only recommend Chris Washington at Pleasance (You Beauty is the name of the show).  Down to earth guy, whose set is about his last year since he was nominated as best newcomer at last year's fringe.

Monday we'd booked 4 shows and as usual (and even allowing gaps between performances) felt I was chasing my tail trying to get to the next venue in time to see it.  Always pick 1 "big name" and this year (again) was Jason Byrne at the Assembly Rooms - starts of with usual dig by asking if there's any Scots in the room, when the big cheer goes up he says " fuckin' knew it,  2-for-1 night"  Excellent show again this year though.

Other highlights - "Trainspotting live" - incredible performances - audience interaction, bad language and nudity.  Blown away with that show. (not for the feint hearted though)

"Flo and Joan" (2 sisters from the Nationwide advert - a bit of the funny song singing in a kind of Victoria Wood type way) - not my cup of tea but actually some not bad stuff in there. ( I notice they're starting to sell out now too)

"And they played shang-a-lang" - some very good performances on school life growing up in Edinburgh in the 70s.  Rates a mention for probably the funniest nativity scene I've seen and some great 70s music.

The Improvised James Bond Film (some pub on the Cowgate)- starring Roger Moore, and Bonds drink problem, in The Pug Who Loved Me. Amiable enough nonsense, some on the nose stuff regarding the film Bond liking big tits and a pretty face over personality and a nice scene with Q pretending to be his own children but it struggled with the Pug aspect of it. Not brilliant but for a free show that I put £5 in the bucket at the end it was perfectly passable.

Crowd - 150 (approx.)

The Singalong Sitcom Quiz  (Stand 4) - wonderfully entertaining as the audience singalong to 10 sitcom theme tunes after answering some random trivia questions on them. Probably the only show at this years Fringe showing clips of "Come Back Mrs Noah" and John Inman asking about rock,cock. The prizes are sweets being thrown into the audience and I felt terribly sorry for the 3 Americans who had no idea about the 7 non-American shows and who didn't understand why the room collapsed into hysterics when the Only Fools bar scene and the "Your name is also going on the list...." scenes were played out but my goodness such a simple concept turned into a joyous time in a basement in Edinburgh as we had a room full of people singing the theme to Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads etc.

Crowd - 20

Jeremy Nicholas  (Teviot Nightclub) - the voice of FIFA invites you to take a humorous look at his broadcasting career and wonders why everyone he has ever worked with has become more famous than him. Again an amiable enough show but it lacks any real laughs, there are some chuckle some moments but the real highlight was when someone in the audience corrected him on his pronunciation of Bradford and we went off script for a couple of humorous moments. Its also structured very oddly - the show grinds to a sombre halt halfway through as he recalls the day he was working for BBC Nottingham at Hillsborough, there really isn't anywhere you can go that's amusing after talking about how you saw 95 people being killed.

Crowd - 20

Ken  (Ace Dome) - Terry Johnson writes in and stars in a show about his erstwhile friend Ken Campbell. Its mainly about Ken putting on a 24 hour play at the Edinburgh festival but the last 20 minutes or so are about what happened in the years afterwards. We get Terry playing himself and a wonderfully eye browed Jeremy Stockwell as the titular man himself.

Glorious stuff.

Whilst Terry stands at a lectern on stage telling us about the ins and outs of working with Ken, "Ken" is going round the room sitting next to audience members and so on whilst telling his side of the story from amongst the people and it works fantastically. The knicker elastic and brick moment that was a part of the Roadshow required most of the audience to move out of the way for a hysterical punchline and Stockwell is also adlibbing certain comments depending on who he is sat next to at any given point

It gets a bit maudlin towards the end but it highlights the love, and exasperation, that people had for Ken and his methods of attempting to make performance art more interesting. You don't need to know anything about Ken to see this show, if you don't it highlights a time when the Festival involved a lot more risk taking and is the story of a friendship that lasted on and off for nearly 30 years.

I was also sat right next to Mark Thomas, who bizarrely laughed loudest at a clitoris gag.

Crowd - 50

Aye, Elvis (Rose Street Theatre, Basement)

Fit like, an Aberdonian quine sets out to win the Scottish Elvis tribute act award and with it fulfil her dream of a trip to Gracelands. Done in the doric this is your typical underdog story of a part time impersonator looking to make it big interspersed with some well known Elvis songs being performed in the north Eastern dialect.

Joyce Falconer is our Elvis obsessed fan and steals the show in an entertaining production that walks a well worn path but which gets away with it as its Elvis as done by an Aberdonian.

Crowd - 30

Archived