C**** on Holiday

RE holiday food:

About 5 years ago we went on an all-inclusive holiday on one of the Greek Islands. I was a bit cautious about doing this, as I like going out to different restaurants each night and trying different things, wandering about, etc. My girlfriend spent ages researching the food in different hotels to make sure I wouldn't be whinging about deep-fried crap (and also researching the booze - she wanted to ensure that if she ordered a rum and coke it would be Havana or some such, and not whatever "rum" was made locally in someone's tin shed).

We got a decent deal on some fancy spa hotel and all was good. The food was amazing, and I was content. The hotel had its own jetty, and every day I would see the fishing boat pull up with the day's catch being taken to the kitchen. There was a salad bar that was so good I would effectively have two meals at every sitting, going up to it after finishing whatever I'd chosen.

I had some octopus stew thing that might be the tastiest thing I've ever had on holiday. And they made a kleftiko type meal with goat that was ridiculous.

The house wines were lovely. One night I bought some expensive plonk that wasn't included in the package. While it was lovely, I didn't bother again because the free stuff was nearly as good.

What I'm getting at is that everything was lovely. There was also loads to choose from.

A couple from Fife spent the whole time they were there complaining that there wasn't pie and chips.

ETA now I think about it, some home counties morons annoyed me too. Braying about wanting "proper" food.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No where is common if you haven't been before.

You could apply that to anything 'common' though? "Tennants is a common lager, I've not had it so no it's not. Steve is a common name, I don't know any Steve's so no it's not. I think more people have been to Tenerife than New Zealand, I would expect to find more tourists in Tenerife than I would in New Zealand. The "local" knowledge is less important I think.

You could apply that to anything 'common' though? "Tennants is a common lager, I've not had it so no it's not. Steve is a common name, I don't know any Steve's so no it's not. I think more people have been to Tenerife than New Zealand, I would expect to find more tourists in Tenerife than I would in New Zealand. The "local" knowledge is less important I think.

Tennents is common in Scotland, if you've tried it or not.

If you've never been to Tenerife then you'll be as unfamiliar with the environment or where is worth staying or visiting or eating as you would be in New Zealand. You'd also be further disadvantaged by bit speaking the local lingo.

Fair enough, can see your point but I don't agree. I would fancy my chances of having a better time in Tenerife with no previous knowledge than New Zealand.

Tennents is common in Scotland, if you've tried it or not.

Not if you apply the previous logic. It's only common if you've been, had it etc.

Is anyone going to admit to insisting on chips and steak pie and Tetley's tea on holiday?  it's like the reclining seats on a plane, no-one seems to admit they do it but experience says otherwise.

Guest bernardblack

I'm not a huge fan of all inclusive holidays but can see the appeal for families etc.

What annoyed me was people moaning at the lack of choice when they have some sort of lasagne, beef stew, pasta and fish concoction on their plate.

No steak pie but I'd steak and chips 3 times in the last fortnight abroad, lasagna, pizza twice, mixed kebabs about 3 times, McDonald's once, subway once, 3 roast chickens, Indians, Chinese. Basically just British junk food non stop.

You must be horrendously obese.

I'm not a huge fan of all inclusive holidays but can see the appeal for families etc.

What annoyed me was people moaning at the lack of choice when they have some sort of lasagne, beef stew, pasta and fish concoction on their plate.

I quite like AI (mainly for bevy) but I also get annoyed when you hear folk saying the good is shite, it was basically free! Fair enough if it's total dogshit but I've always found it at least edible. You're allowed to eat out, don't your meals in the hotel if it's shite? Folk that moan on holiday basically.

Is anyone going to admit to insisting on chips and steak pie and Tetley's tea on holiday?  it's like the reclining seats on a plane, no-one seems to admit they do it but experience says otherwise.

I did in San Antonio last year, probably 3rd day in, handed a restaurant menu and it had a "British Classics" section.

Ended up with Pie, Egg & Chips for lunch, didn't take a tea because i can't drink coffee or tea abroad for some absurd reason.

Actually felt dirty eating it, but I was hungover and nothing else was appealing to me.

I quite like AI (mainly for bevy) but I also get annoyed when you hear folk saying the good is shite, it was basically free! Fair enough if it's total dogshit but I've always found it at least edible. You're allowed to eat out, don't your meals in the hotel if it's shite? Folk that moan on holiday basically.

No really free though it's part of the cost of your holiday.

Genuinely interested - what do you all eat on holiday? I survive on junk food and eating out every meal.

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I did in San Antonio last year, probably 3rd day in, handed a restaurant menu and it had a "British Classics" section.

Ended up with Pie, Egg & Chips for lunch, didn't take a tea because i can't drink coffee or tea abroad for some absurd reason.

Actually felt dirty eating it, but I was hungover and nothing else was appealing to me.

I can understand that, I tend not to be adventurous when hungover.  I don't really get drunk when I'm on holiday though.

10 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

No really free though it's part of the cost of your holiday.

Genuinely interested - what do you all eat on holiday? I survive on junk food and eating out every meal.

The last beach holiday I went on was a villa holiday to Turkish Cyprus last year.  It was self-catering so for breakfast I'd usually have muesli with fruit and yoghurt.  We'd get some food in from a local deli and have a mixed salad with pitta and hummus, maybe some fish or chicken depending on what we were doing for lunch.  If we were out and about we'd go to a cafe for lunch, I'd usually get something with fish for lunch, espeically if we were near the sea.  For dinner we ate out every night and I would usually get a full kebab, which is basically a Turkish mixed grill.  A couple of times I got a lamb* kleftiko, which is more common in the Greek parts of the island.  Most restaurants give you a full meze to start with, which is basically a load of small dishes that you all share, kind of like tapas.  I love that style of food, great in big groups.

When we were in the same place for a fortnight the year before we went to a Thai place because a few people got sick of Turkish food.  It was actually fantastic, owned by a British guy and his Thai wife and her family.  Our friend who has spent a bit of time in Thailand said it was very faithful to what Thai food is like there.  I do always avoid Chinese and Indian restaurants abroad as I think they are generally just locals cooking from a cookbook.  On another group holiday to Cyprus one of our party dragged us to a Chinese restaurant and it was probably the worst meal I've ever eaten, disgusting.

* In this context I think it's safe to say that lamb = goat but I'm not fussed by that.

5 hours ago, bernardblack said:

"There a great Irish bar round the corner"

Is there? Cheers, cause I've just flown for about six hours to pay £8 for a Guinness.

This - not just a holiday phenomenon - but often Scottish fans on an away trips in Europe or with the national team.

Irritates me when the "consensus" is to gravitate to an Irish bar for pre-match rendezvous..............especially in cities like Berlin (Hertha v AFC trip 2002) - the Irish bar is still fondly remembered, albeit for 'other reasons', when in reality it was a characterless place in a shopping mall in a city full of cracking bars selling quality German bier.

Archived