1974 Photograph - help please

bluedragon

Can anyone help me by identifying this person in the attached photograph?

The photograph has been cropped from the photograph of the Junior Scotland team that played Wales at Meadow Park, Irvine on Sunday 19 May 1974. I am fairly sure he was a trainer/physio who worked with Meadow’s Dunky Black with the team for that game.  

Junior Scotland appointed its first manager in 1973 when Davie McLaggan (Cambuslang Rangers) undertook the role. John Binnie (Linlithgow Rose) was manager from 1975. So one other possibility is that this person may have been in charge between these managers. However, the track suit suggests a trainer.  The only other possibility is that he might be a travelling reserve who did not have a place among the three named substitutes.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

1974vWales cropped.jpg

Thanks Pricey – a good idea. Here are the details of the game and the names (minus one of course!) of the line-up in the photograph. If anyone else can put names to faces that would be great.

This was the Junior Scotland squad that played Wales (North Wales Coast FA) at Meadow Park, Irvine on Sunday 19 May 1974 – the Scotland v England International was played on the Saturday. Scotland won 3:0 (HT 2:0) with goals from Bobby Biggar (12m.), Iain McLeod pen. (44m.?) and Willie Cunningham (72m.). Attendance 3,500.

Stephen Anderson (Dunipace) (Goalkeeper)

Hugh McCann (Linlithgow Rose)

Bobby Brown (Cambuslang Rangers)

Eddie Bashford (Irvine Meadow XI)

Stuart McKenzie (Glenrothes)

Iain McLeod (Bonnyrigg Rose) (Junior Player of the Year)

Willie Cunningham (Glenrothes)

Billy Paterson (Cambuslang Rangers)

Bobby Biggar (Hurlford United)

Willie Bachelor (Dunipace) (third from right on front row)

Willie McQuade (Carluke Rovers)

Substitutes (in the tracksuits with white “V” shirt collar visible):

Billy Paton (Duntocher Hibernian)

Mark Clougherty (Shettleston)

Willie McCallum (Cambuslang Rangers)

Trainer/Manager (in tracksuits):

???? (front row – extreme left kneeling)

Duncan (“Dunky”) Black (Irvine Meadow XI) front row – first person seated from the left

The name of the missing person escapes me for the moment but he served both Jeanfield Swifts and the former Tayside Region as well as the SJFA Management committee.

Sadly he passed away not long after Swifts moved to the new ground

45 minutes ago, millie-bourne said:

The name of the missing person escapes me for the moment but he served both Jeanfield Swifts and the former Tayside Region as well as the SJFA Management committee.

Sadly he passed away not long after Swifts moved to the new ground

Thank you.  With your clue I think the person might be Paddy Winton who sadly passed away in 2015.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/tributes-paid-perth-football-legend-5614250

Thanks for the confirmation on Paddy Winton and for everyone's help. Here is the line-up as we have it so far. The forwards in the front row seem to be sitting in "7 to 11" order as suggested but I have put a "?" against the forwards not positively identified. 

Back row (Substitute)   Eddie Bashford (Irvine Meadow XI)   Stephen Anderson (Dunipace)     Mark Clougherty (Shettleston) (Substitute)
Front row Paddy Winton (Jeanfield Swifts) (Manager) Dunky Black(Irvine Meadow XI) (Trainer) Willie Cunningham (Glenrothes)? Billy Paterson (Cambuslang Rangers) Bobby Biggar (Hurlford United) Willie Bachelor (Dunipace) Willie McQuade (Carluke Rovers)? (Substitute)

This gives us the following names that are not yet identified in the photograph.:

Hugh McCann (Linlithgow Rose)

Bobby Brown (Cambuslang Rangers)

Stuart McKenzie (Glenrothes)

Iain McLeod (Bonnyrigg Rose)

Substitutes (in the tracksuits):

Billy Paton (Duntocher Hibernian)

Willie McCallum (Cambuslang Rangers)

2 hours ago, ex-german exile said:

Is that the Willie McCallum that went on to play for Motherwell?

I think this is a different player. This one started off as a youngster at Newcastle United and then had short spells with Hamilton Academical, St Mirren, Clydebank and East Stirlingshire. He won three Junior Cup winners’ medals and one runners-up medal during his time at Cambuslang.

Thanks. I think we now have the line-up.

Back row (L to R) Billy Paton      (Duntocher Hibernian) (Substitute) Hugh McCann (Linlithgow Rose)? Bobby Brown (Cambuslang Rangers) Eddie Bashford         (Irvine Meadow XI) Stephen Anderson (Dunipace) Stuart McKenzie (Glenrothes)? Iain McLeod          (Bonnyrigg Rose)? Mark Clougherty (Shettleston) (Substitute)

Front row       (L to R)

Paddy Winton (Jeanfield Swifts) (Manager)

Dunky Black        (Irvine Meadow XI) (Trainer)

Willie Cunningham (Glenrothes)? Billy Paterson  (Cambuslang Rangers)

Bobby Biggar 

(Hurlford United)

Willie Bachelor (Dunipace) Willie McQuade (Carluke Rovers)? Willie McCallum (Cambuslang Rangers) (Substitute)

Archived