Jump to content
The Pastmaster

The Albion Rovers Thread

Recommended Posts

The games are building up now, Albion have one game, Clyde now two games 
I can’t see a long drawn out enquiry for every one, is it time to adopt the Betfred 3-0 rule no matter how unfair that might be ?
There is only one midweek league game scheduled between now and the end of the season in April so still plenty of time.

If teams have followed the rules and have just been unlucky to have a number of cases then it is harsh to award a 3-0 to the opposition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

JUST TRYING TO STOP ANOTHER OLD  ESTABLISHED TEAM DROPPING DOWN INTO TIER 5 ! 

I did declare my interest. But the whole thing is a pile of shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

There is only one midweek league game scheduled between now and the end of the season in April so still plenty of time.

If teams have followed the rules and have just been unlucky to have a number of cases then it is harsh to award a 3-0 to the opposition.

Therein lies the issue.

if a number of players contract the virus individually from work etc then fair enough.

If however it is spread amongst the group then the rules have not been followed ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Therein lies the issue.
if a number of players contract the virus individually from work etc then fair enough.
If however it is spread amongst the group then the rules have not been followed ?
It could still easily spread while still following the rules. Players won't be social distancing when playing and smaller groups when it comes to training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian Reid has got to be under some pressure now surely? It's not an easy job but deary me that's a dreadful result. And you're not exactly performing in the league either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Brian Reid has got to be under some pressure now surely? It's not an easy job but deary me that's a dreadful result. And you're not exactly performing in the league either. 

I came here just to find our what's going on? I knew they were having a bad season, but to lose 3-0 at home to lower league opposition is more than disappointing. The Cup was a chance to generate some much needed revenue. 

Are Albion Rovers facing an existential threat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I came here just to find our what's going on? I knew they were having a bad season, but to lose 3-0 at home to lower league opposition is more than disappointing. The Cup was a chance to generate some much needed revenue. 

Are Albion Rovers facing an existential threat?

This result is nothing new for Albion Rovers - they needed a replay to beat Fort William last season and lost at home to Formartine the season before. They lost at home to North Juniors club Sunnybank in 2011, and that club went into abeyance at the end of the season. 

The lower league thing is a bit misleading - the pyramid is just coming together and there is considerable overlap at tiers 4, 5 and 6. East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers have survived relegation and the Lowland League is only going to become less of a financial drop from L2 as better supported clubs come in from tier 6. If Albion Rovers end up getting relegated then they ought to be fine, but I think Brechin will beat them to it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This result is nothing new for Albion Rovers - they needed a replay to beat Fort William last season and lost at home to Formartine the season before. They lost at home to North Juniors club Sunnybank in 2011, and that club went into abeyance at the end of the season. 

The lower league thing is a bit misleading - the pyramid is just coming together and there is considerable overlap at tiers 4, 5 and 6. East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers have survived relegation and the Lowland League is only going to become less of a financial drop from L2 as better supported clubs come in from tier 6. If Albion Rovers end up getting relegated then they ought to be fine, but I think Brechin will beat them to it.

 

Interesting post! Thanks.

I've always had a soft spot for Albion Rovers, especially since they were robbed by cheating officials at Ibrox. It'd be good to see them thrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Interesting post! Thanks.

I've always had a soft spot for Albion Rovers, especially since they were robbed by cheating officials at Ibrox. It'd be good to see them thrive.

My best mate supports them, he still has night terrors about that game.

I like Cliftonhill and they're run by good people, but then so are most part-time clubs. Nobody is in it for the money at that level! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always found the club supporters and club members to be welcoming and kind.  I really hope the club recover after the New Year.  It's a battle again between Rovers and Brechin it seems.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Are Albion Rovers facing an existential threat?

No, the club should survive finding its level, much like Shire have done and Berwick are having to do.

Obviously, we want to stay in L2 as long as we can but there is a sense of inevitability about the fact that are very strong set-ups to be found in the Divisions below us. However, as a supporter of the pyramid, I have no issue with that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The money sink which is Cliftonhill will play a large part in determining at which level the Rovers can play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wasn't a great result but as an Edinburgh City fan there's non Scottish League teams we could get that I'd rather avoid. I suspect only QP, Stirling and maybe Elgin if they get a home tie would be reasonably confident of winning. The rest of us L2 diddies are quite capable of fouling up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/12/2020 at 14:09, tamthebam said:

It wasn't a great result but as an Edinburgh City fan there's non Scottish League teams we could get that I'd rather avoid. I suspect only QP, Stirling and maybe Elgin if they get a home tie would be reasonably confident of winning. The rest of us L2 diddies are quite capable of fouling up.

This season, maybe. But we've been pumped out by Lothian Thistle Hutchie Vale and Devronvale in recent times, as well as taking a mammoth penalty shootout to beat Hurlford. So maybe it's just QP who'll feel reasonably confident of winning 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Landry Zahanioni said:

This season, maybe. But we've been pumped out by Lothian Thistle Hutchie Vale and Devronvale in recent times, as well as taking a mammoth penalty shootout to beat Hurlford. So maybe it's just QP who'll feel reasonably confident of winning 😉 

I'll tell you after tonight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea how good any of these boys are any more but good to see you make some attempts to strengthen the team. Cox is the definition of 'wears his heart on his sleeve', 'gives 110%' etc and, assuming he's still got the legs which given his PT business I'm sure he will, you'll love him for it. Not a great footballer whatsoever but a good athlete, gets stuck in, can get up and down the park, genuinely gives his all and should contribute a few goals. He's scored at Cliftonhill before so I'm sure he'll be fine in that regard ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cox has scored for several teams against the Rovers. There have been numerous previously good players whom the Rovers have signed, late in their careers. The results have been mixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...