The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

33 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

I doubt it will be anything other than community related,

he tends to put his money into charities in the town and helping community based projects

Don't think the first ream will see any money

This makes sense and would be far more admirable than chucking cash at the club.

12 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Loved seeing this on twitter (@OldRovers)

EgVWnc5WsAE-S7b.jpg.5285336210fd635bc62dd5e73a777b93.jpgEgVWnc6WkAkXlTW.jpg.e43ba7bac0357954a23f9d84b6b36fff.jpg

That shows the old blue strip that Rovers wore up until the early 60s.

I think they changed colours to differentiate the club as there were a lot of teams in blue around but does anyone know why yellow and red was chosen? My mate thinks it's because no other team in Scotland apart from Partick wore those colours so they were fairly unique while I think it was because Tom Fagin was reading the Tiger and copied Roy of the Rovers' strip!

I'm sure someone will answer about change of colours but I do remember a tale that Rovers wore an old Man United away kit for a season or two, with their badge sewn over United's- mid-late 70s I think, in the days before grown men obsessed over buying brightly coloured pieces of polyester at a 700% mark up.

On that subject I see Rovers are getting another new kit this season. A pity as I never got around to buying the blue and white checked oddity they had last year which I unaccountably wanted to buy. O well.

On 27/08/2020 at 11:25, Ivo den Bieman said:

I'm sure someone will answer about change of colours but I do remember a tale that Rovers wore an old Man United away kit for a season or two, with their badge sewn over United's- mid-late 70s I think, in the days before grown men obsessed over buying brightly coloured pieces of polyester at a 700% mark up.

On that subject I see Rovers are getting another new kit this season. A pity as I never got around to buying the blue and white checked oddity they had last year which I unaccountably wanted to buy. O well.

They turned up for the Lanarkshire cup at Cliftonhill in 1982 in an Argentina kit.

I think you will be in luck, I believe the blue kit from last season will still be around [emoji6]

Recycling it with a new sponsor? Or abandoned stock in the bowels of the Coatbridge Maracana? Has disappeared from the Football Nation shop.

The only time I saw Rovers last season was the opening day 3-2 win over Stenny, wearing that top. Thought you would have gone on to a good season after that but....

On 26/08/2020 at 22:53, tamthebam said:

That shows the old blue strip that Rovers wore up until the early 60s.

I think they changed colours to differentiate the club as there were a lot of teams in blue around but does anyone know why yellow and red was chosen? My mate thinks it's because no other team in Scotland apart from Partick wore those colours so they were fairly unique while I think it was because Tom Fagin was reading the Tiger and copied Roy of the Rovers' strip!

Wasn't it yellow and white first?  There was a vogue in the sixties of teams changing traditional colours, I think in part due to colour television coverage and wanting to stand out, and when the replica kit market started in earnest, teams needed to get something distinctive to claim intellectual property rights (hence the plethora of new badges as well).

Here’s colours of football’s take

The primrose and white colours (there’s a TOFFS replica of that) appeared in 1961 and mutated into primrose and red a little later.

Other than a bizarre Wolves-type strip at the beginning of the 70s, and the smart red and black strip of 09/10 (IIRC Rovers didn’t have money to pay for a bespoke kit so took the nearest template approximation), the colours have been pretty settled.

That was also the kit worn during the infamous Paul Martin -Steven Tweed slow news day spat. I think that was a season of three awful goal-less draws and a single goal loss; terrible games with a “diehards only” health warning. One goal in four league games!

Time’s moved on a lot since those days (thankfully, purely from a football point of view)

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

8 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

Yip at the height of the Falklands War. That’s Rovers alright. 🤣

Hardly anyone remembers, I often thought I had imagined it. Absolutely brilliant, I'm 100% sure there was no malice intended, but you'd think someone would have said something.

Did you wear them again?

11 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Yip at the height of the Falklands War. That’s Rovers alright. 🤣

Good grief ! 🤣🤣 fair play, had never heard that story.

If Fagan came up with primrose as the main colour he was the kind of gnarled industrial-era Scot that was probably very proud of the primroses in his garden.

Checking The Boys From The Brig, which might be the last thing I ever bought with a cheque, the main reason for moving away from blue was to cut down on the number of times Rovers had to change their shirts, as 7 other clubs in the division also wore blue. 

Doesn't say why primrose though.  Perhaps because there were plenty of other sides wearing white, red, and maroon, and even Forfar were wearing green.  The only real clash would have been Dumbarton, who had candystripes, maybe Alloa and East Fife but people were a bit more lax over clashes with stripes then.

15 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Rovers team colours could be a potential minefield. For the purists it’s primrose (not yellow) and red. I’m not sure how auld Fagan arrived at those colours all I know that they wanted completely away from blue and white.

I'm sticking with my theory that auld Fagan read Roy of the Rovers and thought those would be good colours :lol:

The only other thought I had is that the Coatbridge town crest depicts flames coming out of a blast furnace and the colours may have come from that.

Perhaps we'll never know...

As we're taking a walk through the undergrowth of Rovers' history, here's big Irvine Welsh in a Rovers top c. 1996.

The only football club to have a collection of contemporary short stories named after them- The Children of Albion Rovers. I still have a copy of the original book which was pulped for, er, legal reasons- the legally satisfactory one is still on sale. The original had pictures of all six authors involved, wearing these shirts.

This is definitely a primrose yellow top.

cadieqew4aauoxojpg.jpg

On 01/09/2020 at 08:47, Ivo den Bieman said:

Good grief ! 🤣🤣 fair play, had never heard that story.

If Fagan came up with primrose as the main colour he was the kind of gnarled industrial-era Scot that was probably very proud of the primroses in his garden.

Mr Fagan didn't spend if he could avoid it. Primrose was probably the cheap option and any narrative came later.

Rovers were the 1st (but not last) club I heard the match ball story about.

Ie the 1st opportunity you get, kick the match ball in to the dug out to be replaced with an older one. This was when the league weren't so generous in supplying a new ball for each game.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Mr Fagan didn't spend if he could avoid it. Primrose was probably the cheap option and any narrative came later.

Rogers were the 1st (but not last) club I heard the match ball story about.

Ie the 1st opportunity you get, kick the match ball in to the dug out to be replaced with an older one. This was when the league weren't so generous in supplying a new ball for each game.

Fagan... We can have red or white shirts for this price or what’s this Primrose you speak of that’s going cheap?