The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, afca32 said:

Chances of our game on Saturday going ahead? I've travelled to Annan and QP in last few weeks with each game being in some doubt a couple of hours before kick off and can't be arsed with similar 

Given that their game was postponed on Tuesday and its been constant rain/sleet since then and Friday doesn't look too promising weatherwise. It has the potential for a call off. 

I totally agree with your sentiments as I was at Annan and Hampden as well. Galabank game was decided circa 13:45 as far as I recollect.Long way to go for such a late decision but it turned out well on the day for us.

We are not alone of course and other supporters have come up to Elgin just for last minute postponements(Cowdebeath-pitch too dry😂) and Stranraer to name two)

I travel by public transport to games and last week's decision to call game off at 10:15  inspection pissed me well off as the bus had just left Broxden. Got to Inverness, booked the 13:25 back to Edinburgh and had to hang about for 1hr and 25 minutes.

The regular fan will think twice about travelling long distances to away games-in my case-home ones at BB. With wetter winters going to be a constant in the future, the SFA/SPFL should really change the inspection times, however, given that the football authorities don't give a flying duck for fans,thats not likely to happen anytime soon.

The Annan game was for wind which settled down by ko so there would have been much moaning if that had been cancelled. Last weeks game cancelled at 1015 when by ko game could have been played. I sympathise with you as I travelled last week with a hotel booked for an overnighter. Difficult call to make but unless your going to have Friday night inspections or all 4g pitches or under soil heating your going to have to live with it!

3 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

The Annan game was for wind which settled down by ko so there would have been much moaning if that had been cancelled. Last weeks game cancelled at 1015 when by ko game could have been played. I sympathise with you as I travelled last week with a hotel booked for an overnighter. Difficult call to make but unless your going to have Friday night inspections or all 4g pitches or under soil heating your going to have to live with it!

Yes it was a close call at Annan as the wind dropped like a stone around 13:00hrs. We had the same scenario at Central Park a few years back when,after heavy rain the game was called off at 14:00hrs but locals said it was playable around kick off time and we all remember the Stirling game called at 14:55, quite a few years back.

Rovers will be desperate to get the game on, and I'm sure the ground staff will be doing all they can as they already have a midweek against Cowdenbeath to play. Midweek games for clubs at our level means loss of income due to fans having other commitments and couldn't see many ECFC fans making the trip, except Central Belt based ones like myself.

It is a difficult  call however there are big inconsistencies in decision making by officials. Our game went on at Hampden yet along the road,the game at Ibrox was cancelled. I spent an overnight with some ECFC fans in Glasgow and the hotel was full of Gers fans from NI who probably had to travel back on the Sunday, not even seeing their game.Yet the following day at the Tulloch, the  Colts played ICT in torrential rain similar to our game at Hampden.

On your point of just having to put up with it, a home game is a very long day for me. Its a round trip of 16 hrs in total and I normally leave the game 5 minutes before the final whistle to catch the 17:05 to Inverness and have missed a few late goals over the years and have had to put up with numerous late cancellations. I think that last week's late postponement was the final straw and next season will be away games only unless I'm staying over in Elgin.  As afca32 subtlety put(above), I can't  be arsed any more.

Edited by Elginstreetbadger

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/03/2020 at 15:42, roy of the rovers said:

Rovers fan Jordie has set up a justgiving.com page to raise cash to see the club through the current crisis. The target is £10,000 and you can see it by clicking the link below. Donations of any size welcome from Rovers fans and any other wellwishers!

www.JustGiving.com

Done. Best of luck in this trying and unsettling time.