The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

32 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Is Ross Perry ‘that bad’? Looks like he may be signing for us as back up.

Ross Perry is probably one of these players when he was younger is height and physique was enough to convince anyone that he looked like a footballer.

Despite the warnings from Clyde fans he indeed was unmitigated disaster alongside the much fancied Jason Marr who was worse IMO

Marr played centre half at Clyde alongside McQueen when Gallagher was getting a jaw operation. He then played a game or two in midfield when Gallagher was back, before playing centre half again when McQueen did his knee. Don't think he ever played full back; we had Gavin Brown and Iain Gray to do that.

Think he was usually a centre half at Alloa as well. Decent player but injuries and his height probably cost him a better career.

Ross Perry had a storming first start up at Elgin when he headed everything clear. At Broadwood he was completely exposed on the big pitch though. A poor player.

Very bad. We signed him and im like surely he cant be too bad with his previous club background. Ooft. He was bad.

Ross Perry is probably one of these players when he was younger is height and physique was enough to convince anyone that he looked like a footballer.
Despite the warnings from Clyde fans he indeed was unmitigated disaster alongside the much fancied Jason Marr who was worse IMO

Sounds promising! Can’t beat a bit of entertainment at the back.

1 hour ago, Vodka Vic said:

I thought Perry was way better than Marr, and seemed to be a target unfairly for boo boys anytime I watched the Rovers last year.

Come 4 games into season you’ll be longing for the days of Perry once you see the Junior dross that’s being signed now 

Not seen a great deal of him due to personal circumstances but Lok fans seems a bit mixed re: Wharton - some loved him, some felt he was not consistent enough. Of the 4 announced so far, would imagine he's far and away the pick of the Junior bunch though - the others have very little top level Junior pedgree.

12 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

I thought Perry was way better than Marr, and seemed to be a target unfairly for boo boys anytime I watched the Rovers last year.

Come 4 games into season you’ll be longing for the days of Perry once you see the Junior dross that’s being signed now 

Agree Perry was better than Marr but not withstanding he could not deal with a cross ball which was where most of our goals were conceded from.

Marr was a decent player for us, good few years ago now right enough.. when he was a teen he was linked with a lot of big English clubs he had a lot of potential.

ps Sean Higgins has signed with Clydebank as a player-coach... poor Clydebank 

8 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Agree Perry was better than Marr but not withstanding he could not deal with a cross ball which was where most of our goals were conceded from.

Jeez, if Perry was better then Marr must really have went backwards. Perry was God awful!

11 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

I really fear for Albion Rovers. If Brogan sticks out a team of Juniors you'll be wiped out and that's from someone who sees 50 Junior games a season.

Fair point . Only Gary Fisher stayed from last year's squad and Bryan Wharton has previous experience at QP. Most of our signings have been from juniors, Rovers Development players or other teams Development players.

We always seem to go from one extreme to the other. Last year no-one signed from the juniors -there are definitely hidden gems out there- Josh Mullin and Ross Stewart being our recent best signings. But filling a team full of juniors is incredibly risky. I suppose we are paying the price for the crazy overspending policy from the last three years.

I dont know if Brogan has loan players in mind- I'm praying he does as it is now vital for all managers at this level to manipulate this system. Which is one of the criticisms you could aim at Kerr last year- way to slow to bring in loans during the centre half/goalie crisis in mid season.

2 hours ago, BinosCammy said:

Jason Marr on trail with us last night, how was he for yous last season?

Disappointing to say the least and very injury prone. That said the Alloa fans revere this guy so I think there is a good player under there it just didn't work out at Rovers.

Jason Marr on trail with us last night, how was he for yous last season?
Had a nightmare last season

He was more often than not either suspended after a red card or injured

In the few games he played inbetween he was poor

Paired with Perry was the reason we conceded as many goals last year.

Had a major hand in the reason we are now in league 2

On 26/06/2018 at 13:38, Vodka Vic said:

Fair point . Only Gary Fisher stayed from last year's squad and Bryan Wharton has previous experience at QP. Most of our signings have been from juniors, Rovers Development players or other teams Development players.

We always seem to go from one extreme to the other. Last year no-one signed from the juniors -there are definitely hidden gems out there- Josh Mullin and Ross Stewart being our recent best signings. But filling a team full of juniors is incredibly risky. I suppose we are paying the price for the crazy overspending policy from the last three years.

I dont know if Brogan has loan players in mind- I'm praying he does as it is now vital for all managers at this level to manipulate this system. Which is one of the criticisms you could aim at Kerr last year- way to slow to bring in loans during the centre half/goalie crisis in mid season.

Did Rovers really overspend last year, sure I read they had trimmed budget by 50% or so from previous years.

I don’t fancy Rovers to get double points with the signings so far

17 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

Did Rovers really overspend last year, sure I read they had trimmed budget by 50% or so from previous years.

I don’t fancy Rovers to get double points with the signings so far

Yes reduced budgets with some earning considerably higher amounts than others