The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

6 hours ago, teekasule said:

#LEGEND ! ARFC OK ! 

Ian Murray would be a good choice IMO... .... with Peter Houston as assistant. 

Good shout!

Whoever gets it will have a small budget and will need to get the best out of the players, maybe call in a few favours and manipulate that loan system lke there was no tomorrow. 

Will be a tough gig.

Champan's extensive contacts amounted to raiding Annan for 9 or 10 of their players. Would be a poor appointment, IMO.

Wasn't surprised to see Albion Rovers struggle Perry, McLaughlin and Higgins were 3 of the worst players in the Clyde squad that nearly finished bottom of league 2.
McLaughlin had a decent season

Perry had a bad start but once he started doing his job he was not the worst

Higgins done well I suppose. His community work is where his strengths lie

5 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

McLaughlin had a decent season

Perry had a bad start but once he started doing his job he was not the worst

Higgins done well I suppose. His community work is where his strengths lie

At the risk of boring everyone by repetition, Kerr's greatest error was to shed Mick Dunlop in the belief that his signings would be an improvement.

7 minutes ago, The Pastmaster said:

....and not bringing in an experienced `keeper on loan when Bowman walked away

I didn't rate Bowman either - one of a large number of poor signings. And - Shields apart - the young players he played were not up to it.

Welcome back to League 2 you lot, Cliftonhill is definitely a better away day for us than Montrose (or Peterhead for that matter, but they'll probably stay in L2). Are Rovers keeping the 2017/2018 kits for 18/19, or getting new designs/supplier?
New kits won't be addidas it may be the rumour mill at work but i hear Joma through somone not connected to the club

32 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:
On 10/05/2018 at 17:13, Bold Rover said:
At the risk of boring everyone by repetition, Kerr's greatest error was to shed Mick Dunlop in the belief that his signings would be an improvement.

As much as I like mick he was gone by the time Kerr took over

Chris: you will know better than I do, but wasn't Mick's decision to leave based on Kerr telling him he wasn't going to feature? Word at the time was that Kerr was taking over and that he was organising ahead of officially taking the job.

14 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Darren Young was still In charge though and had a contract to be offered

I remember Kerr saying that he thought we had to be quicker as we sat to deep.

Perhaps that's what I interpreted as Kerr not wanting Mick.

I clocked on Twitter last night that Ian Murray has apparently applied for the manager's job at Cliftonhill.

That could (and I stress could here) be a really good appointment. When he came in at the Rock he totally professionalised everything - players had their diets managed, ate lunch together pre-match and turned up in club suits. I know it might sound a bit old-fashioned and weird, but his professionalism played a huge role in changing our season around. Suddenly the collection of part-time jobbers (mainly) were being treated (and asked to behave like) full-time Premier League guys, and it played a massive part in our impossible escape.

He then built one of the most exciting teams I've ever watched, and took us to the brink of the playoffs. His signings were decent on the whole, his use of the long market was excellent and he wasn't prepared to go totally balls out in a 'you score four we'll score give' approach. It resulting in a few pumpings, but we also dished out more than our fair share under him.

Unfortunately the next season Jack Ross left and his new assistants Guillaume Beuzelin and Mark Spalding seemed to instill a more defensive mentality into the team, which just didn't suit us - albeit we still stayed up comfortably.

He'll need a good assistant alongside him. Someone hands on and well respected (like Jack Ross), but if you can build that sort of partnership I think you could be onto a really good thing. Truth be told I wouldn't have been averse to having him back at the Rock if Stevie Aitken had left following our relegation.

"I remember Kerr saying that he thought we had to be quicker as we sat to deep."
Well that blew up in his face ! - BTW Kerr is the new manager at East Kilbride replacing Billy Stark

Tbf we were very good going forward but defensively sitting deep was what we had become good at after 4 years

23 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:
3 hours ago, The Pastmaster said:
"I remember Kerr saying that he thought we had to be quicker as we sat to deep."
Well that blew up in his face ! - BTW Kerr is the new manager at East Kilbride replacing Billy Stark

Tbf we were very good going forward but defensively sitting deep was what we had become good at after 4 years

Hmm.......................................3 goals scored in the last six games says it all really