The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

1 hour ago, hoosierclyde said:

I thought that the keeper played a blinder on Saturday. That first half save was outstanding. Do you have him all season?

He was excellent, especially considering was his first senior game.

however one swallow doesn’t make a summer, though to be fair Peter Shilton in his prime wouldn’t keep a clean sheet with this lot in front of him 

Would anyone else do any better with the shite that has been signed? You are stuck with those players until January by which time the damage will be well and truly done.

I suppose the flip side would be surely someone else can’t do any worse. Rovers were dreadful yesterday, the amount of time and space we were given was unbelievable. Despite defending with ten men most of the game we were still able to cut through with ease time and time again. The only players that didn’t look completely out of their depth were the gk who was brilliant and no. 8 looked decent. (I thought he was Wharton until the real Wharton was introduced later - he was dreadful too incidentally).

Depressing times for rovers fans!
8 was Gary Fisher he scored the 3rd goal last time at yours that won the league

What I don't get from the start is why sign so many alloa pro youth players when Alloa  binned their set up .Did your manager actually watch these boys or was it from a recommendation from other people 
Any one who watches pro youth games would know that these boys would not cut it at this league 
Did the manager not at least play them in friendlies for 3 games and then make assessment. There was a few weeks before pre season that all these boys where getting signed from alloa  and for the life of me I could not understand why as the way your season has went was always going to happen with this team
I know my comments may seem a bit harsh but sometimes the truth hurts 

The alloa u20s manager from last season is now our reserve team manager he brought the players with him. Most are playing in the reserve team who have won 2 from 2 games beating Berwick then raith last night

Ian Murray declined once budget was mentioned , I believe there was another contender who was a rookie in manager terms but had been working within the senior game for several years who wanted job.  The board went for experience in Brogan which makes me ask, why do clubs always want experience even if the experience is bad???
Surely someone looked at his jnr record and said if he’s that good why has he not been given a top junior job ever??

Ian Murray wanted it but had to give 30 days notice to his current club he is with in Norway from what i hear as he is still contracted

59 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:
On 9/16/2018 at 15:48, Yoda8 said:
Ian Murray declined once budget was mentioned , I believe there was another contender who was a rookie in manager terms but had been working within the senior game for several years who wanted job.  The board went for experience in Brogan which makes me ask, why do clubs always want experience even if the experience is bad???
Surely someone looked at his jnr record and said if he’s that good why has he not been given a top junior job ever??

Ian Murray wanted it but had to give 30 days notice to his current club he is with in Norway from what i hear as he is still contracted

He is at a Norwegian club called Asker currently.

2 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Ian Murray must be fair chuffed he wasn’t able to take over. Heard you offered a player(now at Peterhead) £30 a week and he would be the highest paid player.

Probably true. FWIW Paul Martin got the club promoted in 2010 with players on £20-30 a week.

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

The person that told me knows the player himself, I suspect there is at least some truth in it. 

It would only go below minimum wage depending what sort of contracted hours you’re on surely. 

I suspect there is no truth in it. A game plus training (even once a week) is at least 8 hours a week. Excluding any travel. 

13 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

I’m going to call bullshit on that. Surely that’s way below minimum wage? Got to love this (made up) ‘informed’ garbage. 

Our playing budget is reportedly £65k for the year and we have about 30 players registered. I was never any good at maths but probably £30 a week is near the mark.

14 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Travel to Peterhead 12 hour working day x minimum wage rate

I don't know but do players under contract come under a hourly wage rate, worked for many years in industry & was on a fixed salary which at times meant working an 84 hour week & at other times not having to turn up for work at all was paid the same monthly rate regardless. As I say don't know like most folk the details of how players contracts are set up but that would avoid a minimum hourly rate being relevant if on a salary.

6 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Our playing budget is reportedly £65k for the year and we have about 30 players registered. I was never any good at maths but probably £30 a week is near the mark.

I would imagine a lot of the young boys in your reserve side may be amateurs which is a different story.

Getting payed to play football would be like any job the employer would be legally bound to pay the minimum wage at least they would be breaking the law doing otherwise as Cowden Cowboy pointed out travel will also be classed as part of your working day.

3 hours ago, peternapper said:

I don't know but do players under contract come under a hourly wage rate, worked for many years in industry & was on a fixed salary which at times meant working an 84 hour week & at other times not having to turn up for work at all was paid the same monthly rate regardless. As I say don't know like most folk the details of how players contracts are set up but that would avoid a minimum hourly rate being relevant if on a salary.

It must have balanced itself out over the year?

As I say I don't know how lower league/part time clubs set up contracts but doubt players would be paid  an hourly rate think it would be more likely a set amount per week/month with possible add ons for appearances goals scored wins or points earned which probably varies from club to club.