• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
The Pastmaster

The Albion Rovers Thread

You guys loving Alan Trouten ? Good to see him playing so well. Gutted we didn't keep him . #feedthetrout

On 26/07/2017 at 17:14, teekasule said:

ALBION ROVERS v CELTIC X1
JOCK STEIN CUP - Cliftonhill Stadium
Match Sponsor: THE GEORGIAN HOTEL
Tuesday 1st August 2017
7.30pm KO
| £5 adults | £2 Con & U16

I'm planning on taking my kids tomorrow, is a large crowd expected/usual at this fixture. Thanks

15 hours ago, garyhay said:

I'm planning on taking my kids tomorrow, is a large crowd expected/usual at this fixture. Thanks

think it was around 800 last year. with the additional standing area open behind the goal the ground will be fine. Cheers. 

My heart sinks every time I see Trouten on the scoresheet for Rovers. When he's fit he is one of the best part time players around. Unfortunately last season he was plagued with injury and he just didn't get going. He'd have been a huge asset for us in the Championship if he stayed fit, but that would have been a big gamble.

Will be interesting to see if he can stay clear of injury, fingers crossed he does. What a player he was for Brechin.

Many thanks Teekasule, appreciated

Edited by garyhay
error in post

A pretty fair assessment -  obviously not considered the impact that several of last season`s U20 guys, Shields, Lightbody etc have made in games played so far.

Edited by The Pastmaster
word change

Can some Rovers fans help out here what age is the concessions my 16 year old son had all sorts of trouble getting in for £7. Do they really want £28 for father and school boy to watch league one football?

As I said before, certainly on Ross Perry's part the manager didn't have an influence. He's gone down in our folklore as one of the worst defenders in recent years that we've had. 

Having witnessed his performance against Ayr yesterday - ponderous at best, and one of the slowest footballers I've seen - I'm not surprised.

12 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Can some Rovers fans help out here what age is the concessions my 16 year old son had all sorts of trouble getting in for £7. Do they really want £28 for father and school boy to watch league one football?

Sorry to hear that and Rovers staff are usually pretty pragmatic with things like this. What I can say is that if you phone the club this week they will take what you say on board.

This is actually a situation I'm likely to find myself in this year. My oldest boy is also 16, but as he's still at school he should get a student concession. Of course, schools don't provide ID in the way that Unis provide matriculation cards so I'm fully expecting to encounter many jobsworths insisting that he pays in as an adult, much like you did yesterday. In saying that, the two away grounds we've been to this year (E.K and QotS) have been fine with it, as were Rovers for the home cup ties, although the staff there have known him since he was 4!

1 hour ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Having witnessed his performance against Ayr yesterday - ponderous at best, and one of the slowest footballers I've seen - I'm not surprised.

Agreed, although he's actually been pretty solid through the League cup ties. However,  having an equally ponderous (but clearly unfit and rusty) Jason Marr beside him yesterday really didn't help. Young Lightbody should be first choice for Saturday; he provides the extra pace to bail out Perry, and Marr whilst he gains match fitness.

Sorry to hear that and Rovers staff are usually pretty pragmatic with things like this. What I can say is that if you phone the club this week they will take what you say on board.
This is actually a situation I'm likely to find myself in this year. My oldest boy is also 16, but as he's still at school he should get a student concession. Of course, schools don't provide ID in the way that Unis provide matriculation cards so I'm fully expecting to encounter many jobsworths insisting that he pays in as an adult, much like you did yesterday. In saying that, the two away grounds we've been to this year (E.K and QotS) have been fine with it, as were Rovers for the home cup ties, although the staff there have known him since he was 4!

I emailed Paul Reilly who tried to defend the policy of 16-18 year old school kids should pay full whack whilst students get in as concession. Quite unbelievable, no wonder people are staying away from matches. That said never had this issue at any other ground.

4 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I emailed Paul Reilly who tried to defend the policy of 16-18 year old school kids should pay full whack whilst students get in as concession. Quite unbelievable, no wonder people are staying away from matches. That said never had this issue at any other ground.

Phone Ronnie Boyd at the club on Monday. He's our Chairman and much more approachable and pragmatic than Paul, who as an ex-police officer can be a bit 'by the rules'

Also I'd be interested in knowing what justification Paul used for charging school kids as adults; is it purely because they have no identification to prove they're not working?

Edited by Aloysius Snuffleupagus

6 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I'm shocked that you've encountered this problem at Cliftonhill. Like Snuffy, but for even longer, I've taken my children, nephew and their pals to the Rovers - for decades actually - and never met any resistance to a request for a schoolchild discount. And hardly ever at away grounds either. Changed times, I suppose, but £28 for a Dad and son to watch the Rovers is simply too much.

On 06/08/2017 at 09:45, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Phone Ronnie Boyd at the club on Monday. He's our Chairman and much more approachable and pragmatic than Paul, who as an ex-police officer can be a bit 'by the rules'

Also I'd be interested in knowing what justification Paul used for charging school kids as adults; is it purely because they have no identification to prove they're not working?

Not many clubs around these days where you can just phone the chairman! 

Wondered as I was standing behind the goal on Saturday, when was the last time that covered terrace where the dugouts are was used? Is it just permanently closed?

3 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Not many clubs around these days where you can just phone the chairman! 

Wondered as I was standing behind the goal on Saturday, when was the last time that covered terrace where the dugouts are was used? Is it just permanently closed?

Hasn't been opened since 2003- there are 1or 2 fans who are deluded enough to still think something can be done with it. To be fair it's the least of the club's problems.