The Pastmaster

On 26/07/2017 at 17:14, teekasule said:

ALBION ROVERS v CELTIC X1
JOCK STEIN CUP - Cliftonhill Stadium
Match Sponsor: THE GEORGIAN HOTEL
Tuesday 1st August 2017
7.30pm KO
| £5 adults | £2 Con & U16

I'm planning on taking my kids tomorrow, is a large crowd expected/usual at this fixture. Thanks

15 hours ago, garyhay said:

I'm planning on taking my kids tomorrow, is a large crowd expected/usual at this fixture. Thanks

think it was around 800 last year. with the additional standing area open behind the goal the ground will be fine. Cheers. 

My heart sinks every time I see Trouten on the scoresheet for Rovers. When he's fit he is one of the best part time players around. Unfortunately last season he was plagued with injury and he just didn't get going. He'd have been a huge asset for us in the Championship if he stayed fit, but that would have been a big gamble.

Will be interesting to see if he can stay clear of injury, fingers crossed he does. What a player he was for Brechin.

As I said before, certainly on Ross Perry's part the manager didn't have an influence. He's gone down in our folklore as one of the worst defenders in recent years that we've had. 

Having witnessed his performance against Ayr yesterday - ponderous at best, and one of the slowest footballers I've seen - I'm not surprised.

12 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Can some Rovers fans help out here what age is the concessions my 16 year old son had all sorts of trouble getting in for £7. Do they really want £28 for father and school boy to watch league one football?

Sorry to hear that and Rovers staff are usually pretty pragmatic with things like this. What I can say is that if you phone the club this week they will take what you say on board.

This is actually a situation I'm likely to find myself in this year. My oldest boy is also 16, but as he's still at school he should get a student concession. Of course, schools don't provide ID in the way that Unis provide matriculation cards so I'm fully expecting to encounter many jobsworths insisting that he pays in as an adult, much like you did yesterday. In saying that, the two away grounds we've been to this year (E.K and QotS) have been fine with it, as were Rovers for the home cup ties, although the staff there have known him since he was 4!

1 hour ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Having witnessed his performance against Ayr yesterday - ponderous at best, and one of the slowest footballers I've seen - I'm not surprised.

Agreed, although he's actually been pretty solid through the League cup ties. However,  having an equally ponderous (but clearly unfit and rusty) Jason Marr beside him yesterday really didn't help. Young Lightbody should be first choice for Saturday; he provides the extra pace to bail out Perry, and Marr whilst he gains match fitness.

Sorry to hear that and Rovers staff are usually pretty pragmatic with things like this. What I can say is that if you phone the club this week they will take what you say on board.
This is actually a situation I'm likely to find myself in this year. My oldest boy is also 16, but as he's still at school he should get a student concession. Of course, schools don't provide ID in the way that Unis provide matriculation cards so I'm fully expecting to encounter many jobsworths insisting that he pays in as an adult, much like you did yesterday. In saying that, the two away grounds we've been to this year (E.K and QotS) have been fine with it, as were Rovers for the home cup ties, although the staff there have known him since he was 4!

I emailed Paul Reilly who tried to defend the policy of 16-18 year old school kids should pay full whack whilst students get in as concession. Quite unbelievable, no wonder people are staying away from matches. That said never had this issue at any other ground.

4 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I emailed Paul Reilly who tried to defend the policy of 16-18 year old school kids should pay full whack whilst students get in as concession. Quite unbelievable, no wonder people are staying away from matches. That said never had this issue at any other ground.

Phone Ronnie Boyd at the club on Monday. He's our Chairman and much more approachable and pragmatic than Paul, who as an ex-police officer can be a bit 'by the rules'

Also I'd be interested in knowing what justification Paul used for charging school kids as adults; is it purely because they have no identification to prove they're not working?

Edited by Aloysius Snuffleupagus

6 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I'm shocked that you've encountered this problem at Cliftonhill. Like Snuffy, but for even longer, I've taken my children, nephew and their pals to the Rovers - for decades actually - and never met any resistance to a request for a schoolchild discount. And hardly ever at away grounds either. Changed times, I suppose, but £28 for a Dad and son to watch the Rovers is simply too much.

On 06/08/2017 at 09:45, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Phone Ronnie Boyd at the club on Monday. He's our Chairman and much more approachable and pragmatic than Paul, who as an ex-police officer can be a bit 'by the rules'

Also I'd be interested in knowing what justification Paul used for charging school kids as adults; is it purely because they have no identification to prove they're not working?

Not many clubs around these days where you can just phone the chairman! 

Wondered as I was standing behind the goal on Saturday, when was the last time that covered terrace where the dugouts are was used? Is it just permanently closed?

3 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Not many clubs around these days where you can just phone the chairman! 

Wondered as I was standing behind the goal on Saturday, when was the last time that covered terrace where the dugouts are was used? Is it just permanently closed?

Hasn't been opened since 2003- there are 1or 2 fans who are deluded enough to still think something can be done with it. To be fair it's the least of the club's problems.

Albion Rovers FC are embarking on a series of activities to review its vision and prioritise its objectives for the club.

In previous years the Rovers board had developed plans, but these have been more internally focussed. The board recognised that the club needed to widen the conversation about its priorities and increase participation in any review process, in order to ensure that the aims and objectives of Albion Rovers FC are formed from a shared vision, collated from the views of all those having an interest in ensuring a positive future for the club, especially its supporters.

It is recognised that engagement with supporters throughout any review process is critical for its success. The club aim to begin a supporters’ consultation exercise which will include:-

A seminar, to be held in the Stadium’s lounge area,open to all Rovers supporters to attend;
The session will begin with short presentations by David Douglas, Chief Executive and Brian Kerr club manager, followed by a variety of group discussions chaired by Alison McGowan, ARFC Trust chair, on topics including:
Where are we now?
What is working well?
What requires to change?
We will also look to the future to confirm where we want to be and, more importantly, how we get there?
What contribution can you make? Sign the pledge to help in IT/Match day/Social Media/ Fundraising/Ground upkeep/Admin…any skill or time you have that can help the Rovers stay strong.
The club’s manager, Brian Kerr, will also make himself available for supporters to question how the team are doing
An online survey, will give all supporters an opportunity to participate in the consultation exercise, including those unable to attend consultation event.

The consultation event will be led by new Albion Rovers Supporters’ Trust Chair, Alison McGowan with David Douglas, Albion Rovers Chief Executive and Brian Kerr, Albion Rovers FC Manager held on the lounge part of the stadium at 7pm on Wednesday 16th August.

The questionnaire will be available on line from Friday 18th August.

No need to register your interest for the evening event on August 16th.
Simply come along.
David Douglas | Chief Executive Albion Rovers FC