The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

8 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Until very recently there was no pyramid in the west. Not at all clear that the bottom of League Two was better than the top of the West Superleague pre-pyramid or that back in the day the bottom of the old Second Division was better than the top of the old Central League. The idea that moving into that sort of scene is bleak just seems a bit bizarre to me. Think Rovers fans might be pleasantly surprised and will soon realise that getting relegated out of the SPFL is not the end of the world.

You should have added the LL ain't the end the pyramid either.

There's a long long long way below that.

9 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Because watching the Rovers has always been so very different from watching Blantyre Vics? Genuinely have no idea why fans of League Two clubs seem to think that what they are used to watching is so much better than clubs like Pollok or Talbot.

On the bright side it's got to be cheaper to get into an Albion Rovers home game now.

8 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Fact it's cause they have went to the LL makes no difference imo

Well it kind if does. They are having to play in a complete shitshow of a league because horrible wee diddy clubs like Spartans took the old firm boaby. It’s their fault they got relegated but it isn’t their fault that clubs like Spartans have completely ruined the league below. 

15 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Great Scottish club wth real character. Remember going to see Rovers v Inverness CT on the day of 9/11 and it was such a cheerful experience it restored some faith in humanity.

WHy can't Elgin City get the drop instead? What have they ever brought to the league system?

Not finishing bottom since the play offs were introduced, I imagine.

23 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Well it kind if does. They are having to play in a complete shitshow of a league because horrible wee diddy clubs like Spartans took the old firm boaby. It’s their fault they got relegated but it isn’t their fault that clubs like Spartans have completely ruined the league below. 

Where do Rangers B play their home games?

43 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What team do you support?

Probably one of Celtic or Rangers plus an ex junior side. That's pretty much the norm for these diddy clubs that brag about their crowds/ambition and think they're suddenly too special for the league they play in.

Top former west region junior clubs have not been a factor yet but there are a lot more Bonnyrigg Rose type clubs that can potentially emerge in that context. What lower division SPFL fans maybe don't grasp is that a lot of WoS premier fans look at what you have and aren't exactly falling over themselves to be part of it because they are happy enough with what they have where they are right now and don't view it as some bleak wasteland abyss.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Is there anything lazier than the 'ambitious' clubs patter? Maybe PossilYM can clarify what he means when folk like him use that.

That lumps everyone who has been promoted into the same boat. When they are very different clubs.

Imo Bonnyrigg are the best addition there has been to the league. They are a club with a very good support who have done it without a sugar daddy. They were always a big junior club and are the sort of team I think we'd all have no issue with being promoted. Ground aside, they are very much a League Two side in every aspect.

Then you have Cove. Cove have put much better teams on the park than anyone else promoted, but ultimately they are a vanity exercise. A team with a tiny support that's being heavily backed. When the money men pull out they'll sink like a stone. I suspect Edinburgh City will do likewise unless they can get some investment this season. I'm sure I read that they had circa 20 season ticket holders. The Vale have more than that.

Kelty, to be fair, have a good support and with their money men gone I expect they'll become a fairly established club bouncing between top half League Two and bottom end of League One. But does that make them any better than the likes of Stenny? Should they then move into the establishment pile and be replaced by a flash in the pan investing big bucks in an unsustainable way like Johnstone Burgh maybe? Who will become flavour of the month with the 'great to see a club showing ambition' folk this season.

Of course I'd love for someone to come into Sons and start throwing silly money at us. It would be a great ride as long as everything didn't fall apart at the end of it. But I wouldn't say the sheer luck of having someone pouring money into a club makes us any more deserving of a place in any league than anyone else.

I imagine tunes might be changed if the Saudi royal family began pouring money into Aberdeen or Hearts, upsetting the Old Firm and beating them to trophies. Can you imagine the reaction if Aberdeen were able to fire £20m on Kyogo?! Nobody would be saying 'ambitious' and everyone would be saying 'unsustainable'.

Fwiw I don't know enough about Spartans off the park to know where they fit it. With the amount of kids and coaches there I assume they are what clubs like Cumbernauld Colts and BSC Glasgow (before the split) have tried to be. And that's an interesting model. But again it looks like a different one to Cove, Kelty, Bonnyrigg and Edinburgh City.

Johnstone Burgh got beat 7-2 yesterday.

Just think there's a whole group of spooked diddy clubs who've spent the best part of a 100 years or more hiding in a Senior league closed shop.

Had the pyramid been in place 50 years ago half of those diddy clubs would be a memory.

Was only a matter of time for Albion Rovers and the others to drop down in a pyramid set up.

None of them so far looking like returning.

I'd recommend any Albion Rovers fan to look up the podcast with the LL chairman talking about the coming Conference league.

That's what's you and 200 other non league clubs are facing.

Authorized relegation on multiple levels and there ain't a thing you or anybody else can do about it.

4 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Just think there's a whole group of spooked diddy clubs who've spent the best part of a 100 years or more hiding in a Senior league closed shop.

Had the pyramid been in place 50 years ago half of those diddy clubs would be a memory.

Was only a matter of time for Albion Rovers and the others to drop down in a pyramid set up.

I'd recommend any Albion Rovers fan to look up the podcast with the LL chairman talking about the coming Conference league.

Authorized relegation on multiple levels and there ain't a thing you or anybody else can do about it.

Once they fall out of the “42 gang” they find out what it’s like for the rest of Scottish football.

1 minute ago, PossilYM said:

That's because Johnstone Burgh can't play guys like Graeme Dorrans and Del Esplin yet. But you seem fairly switched on with regards to the non-league game, so I'll assume you knew that.

There isn't a thing clubs can do about the Conference League. Apart from vote against it of course. Supporters have been very vocal in opposing it, most notably Aberdeen who have now axed plans to play a B team in it.

I don't think there's an issue with more fluid relegation/promotion. But because of the way the pyramid was set up, there are clubs coming up who aren't league clubs in stature.

There's also no way of knowing who would've been where if this happened 50 years ago. If you told a Kelty or Cove fan 50 years ago they would be where they are now then I doubt they'd have believed you. Both were (I think) amateur clubs at that time. What's to say that 50 years from now it isn't St Pat's FPs and EKYM who are punting 'established' clubs like Cove and Kelty out the league?

I've said before if Sons were to go down I'd far rather we were relegated to the WOS Premiership. That's a far better league than the Lowland League, and there are more clubs of a similar size to DFC at that level who would bring better (and more passionate) supports.

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That's because Johnstone Burgh can't play guys like Graeme Dorrans and Del Esplin yet. But you seem fairly switched on with regards to the non-league game, so I'll assume you knew that.

There isn't a thing clubs can do about the Conference League. Apart from vote against it of course. Supporters have been very vocal in opposing it, most notably Aberdeen who have now axed plans to play a B team in it.

I don't think there's an issue with more fluid relegation/promotion. But because of the way the pyramid was set up, there are clubs coming up who aren't league clubs in stature.

There's also no way of knowing who would've been where if this happened 50 years ago. If you told a Kelty or Cove fan 50 years ago they would be where they are now then I doubt they'd have believed you. Both were (I think) amateur clubs at that time. What's to say that 50 years from now it isn't St Pat's FPs and EKYM who are punting 'established' clubs like Cove and Kelty out the league?

I've said before if Sons were to go down I'd far rather we were relegated to the WOS Premiership. That's a far better league than the Lowland League, and there are more clubs of a similar size to DFC at that level who would bring better (and more passionate) supports.

You wonder why folk react when you have an idiot Dumbarton fan on here talking about teams taking the Old Firm boaby.

When the Rangers B team play their home games at..........Dumbarton.

37 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Where do Rangers B play their home games?

You are behind the times - the relationship that saw Rangers 'B' play home games at The Rock has now ended.  You will not find one Dumbarton fan who was ever happy with it, quite the opposite; it was a disgraceful arrangement driven by financial desperation.

11 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I spoke to St Pat's coach this week and he's hoping to take them into the West of Scotland League divisions.

6 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

You wonder why folk react when you have an idiot Dumbarton fan on here talking about teams taking the Old Firm boaby.

When the Rangers B team play their home games at..........Dumbarton.

I hadn't mentioned anything about the Old Firm boaby in my post, and thought it maybe addressed the fairly ill-informed points you are making. But okay.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

You are behind the times - the relationship that saw Rangers 'B' play home games at The Rock has now ended.  You will not find one Dumbarton fan who was ever happy with it, quite the opposite; it was a disgraceful arrangement driven by financial desperation.

But this would be my response.

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

I spoke to St Pat's coach this week and he's hoping to take them into the West of Scotland League divisions.

If they can get a ground sorted then I'd be quite excited by that tbh.

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

A fan of a club with a one sided stadium has no right to talk about stature of anyone entering the SPFL. 

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

I hadn't mentioned anything about the Old Firm boaby in my post, and thought it maybe addressed the fairly ill-informed points you are making. But okay.

St Pat's could play at Dumbarton.

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

That'd be the major stumbling block as I see it.

He reckons they're getting a hundred fans at games. I don't think I've ever met anyone who "supports" an amateur side, other than watching from the side of the pitch because their mates are playing.