The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

3 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Great Scottish club wth real character. Remember going to see Rovers v Inverness CT on the day of 9/11 and it was such a cheerful experience it restored some faith in humanity.

WHy can't Elgin City get the drop instead? What have they ever brought to the league system?

Elgin will be in the SHFL soon enough, canny wait tae see Vale play them at Borough Briggs or PRP .

Sorry to see you joining us in the Lowland League. At least it will be good to see an old adversary again. Loads of memories of playing you over the years. 
I won’t pretend that you are coming into a vibrant league with loads of positives but life goes on and your team is always your team , no matter what level they are playing at. 

4 hours ago, B75 said:

Goodbye and good riddance. Throughout my life you lot, Cowdenbeath and East Stirling were battling each other to finish bottom, now you're all gone,never to return..

Ooft, very buddhist of you.

Commiserations Rovers on being relegated into that basketcase of a league.

I'd like to be philosophical and see this as an opportunity for the Rovers to modernise and start afresh, with a view to coming back in 5 years or so in a better state than ever.

But I'm conscious that the reality is considerably more bleak than that.

2 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Elgin will be in the SHFL soon enough, canny wait tae see Vale play them at Borough Briggs or PRP .

You’d better hope it’s soon as if clubs below the Highland League get their licences sorted you might not even be there seeing as only Strathspey kept Vale off the bottom this year!

1 hour ago, Albino Rover said:

I'd like to be philosophical and see this as an opportunity for the Rovers to modernise and start afresh, with a view to coming back in 5 years or so in a better state than ever.

But I'm conscious that the reality is considerably more bleak than that.

Because watching the Rovers has always been so very different from watching Blantyre Vics? Genuinely have no idea why fans of League Two clubs seem to think that what they are used to watching is so much better than clubs like Pollok or Talbot.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There seems to be a lot of ill-concealed glee on this thread.  To be clear, Albion Rovers, Berwick, Cowden, The Shire and the rest of us smaller clubs aren't responsible for the state of Scottish football. 

There is a huge structural imbalance in the form of the Old Firm, their arslikhan media and the negligent stewardship of the game by the SFA (Conference anyone ??) which no amount of lower league churn will ever properly address.

Give the Rovers and the rest some respect.

Nonsense. The "pyramid" is a joke but it is what it is just now, they finished bottom & deserve no more well wishes than any team who faces relegation in any division. 

SPFL was a closed shop for well over a century otherwise all these "traditional clubs", mines included would have been up/down probably many times over the years through various non leagues. 

This doommongering is cringy as f*ck. 

Hopefully doesn't happen for a while but when we end up down which I am sure will happen at some point, I'd hate all the sad gloomy messages like someone has died I keep seeing on here & social media. 

The only bad thing here is spartans isn't the best away day but could be worse. 

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Because watching the Rovers has always been so very different from watching Blantyre Vics? Genuinely have no idea why fans of League Two clubs seem to think that what they are used to watching is so much better than clubs like Pollok or Talbot.

Why do people watching football in a league a few levels higher think they might be watching better players/football? Really? It is baffling. I imagine Dundee Utd and Ross county fans feel it’s about the same as watching Peterhead and Clyde!

4 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Nonsense. The "pyramid" is a joke but it is what it is just now, they finished bottom & deserve no more well wishes than any team who faces relegation in any division. 

SPFL was a closed shop for well over a century otherwise all these "traditional clubs", mines included would have been up/down probably many times over the years through various non leagues. 

Hopefully doesn't happen for a while but when we end up down which I am sure will happen at some point, I'd hate all the sad gloomy messages like someone has died I keep seeing on here & social media. 

Try turning down the megaphone and actually reading what I wrote.  Nowhere did I say that Rovers or anyone else didn't deserve to go down, but the sneering tone of some posters inferring that a brave new world in Scottish football has somehow been held back is both disrespectful to these clubs and wilfully ignoring the realities of the professional game here.

Gutted for Albion. Probably the first team relegated from league 2 that I’ve felt genuine disappointment for. Being in my mid twenties, some of the most memorable games growing up as a QP fan was going to cliftonhill. A tony Quinn double in the 90th min to win the game many years ago, alongside Chris Hamilton scoring a scorcher in the 90th min to win 1-0 particularly stand out. Was really hoping we’d draw each other in the cup over the last couple years as I’d love to go back again to experience cliftonhill.

All the best in the lowland league. Really hope you can do the business next season, although it will be tough I’d imagine 

20 minutes ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Why do people watching football in a league a few levels higher ...

Until very recently there was no pyramid in the west. Not at all clear that the bottom of League Two was better than the top of the West Superleague pre-pyramid or that back in the day the bottom of the old Second Division was better than the top of the old Central League. The idea that moving into that sort of scene is bleak just seems a bit bizarre to me. Think Rovers fans might be pleasantly surprised and will soon realise that getting relegated out of the SPFL is not the end of the world.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There seems to be a lot of ill-concealed glee on this thread.  To be clear, Albion Rovers, Berwick, Cowden, The Shire and the rest of us smaller clubs aren't responsible for the state of Scottish football. 

There is a huge structural imbalance in the form of the Old Firm, their arslikhan media and the negligent stewardship of the game by the SFA (Conference anyone ??) which no amount of lower league churn will ever properly address.

Give the Rovers and the rest some respect.

Clubs will always find their natural level where a pyramid exists. I'll admit to some level of hypocrisy here as I didn't want Albion Rovers to be relegated, but that wasn't based on their ability, it was more due to familiarity and the fact that I didn't want a sports centre nobody to replace them (sorry Spartans fans, but sue me).

I've always felt that the likes of Berwick, Shire and Cowden found their natural place when they went down and I said the same when the trapdoor was opened.

I don't think it'll happen to Dumbarton, but if it does, it won't be because we're "too big to fail", it'll be because we're shite at football.

Do I agree with the existence of the Lowland League? No. But do I agree with the existence of the pyramid? Yes.

44 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Try turning down the megaphone and actually reading what I wrote.  Nowhere did I say that Rovers or anyone else didn't deserve to go down, but the sneering tone of some posters inferring that a brave new world in Scottish football has somehow been held back is both disrespectful to these clubs and wilfully ignoring the realities of the professional game here.

Right back at you with the megaphone. My point was the well wishes & doom mongering that poor wee albion rovers got relegated. 

Nout wrong with a wee bit sneer & banter regarding a clubs failing. We all give it & we all get it back. 

Fact it's cause they have went to the LL makes no difference imo

8 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Stenhousrmuir?

You're definitely on that list.