The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

On 26/03/2023 at 15:58, Albino Rover said:

Jim McInally could be the experienced leader the Rovers need to turn things around in 6 games.

Or he could be the man who got 2 clubs relegated in the same season.

Gets my vote.

Jim McInally has lost every single play-off he has been involved in as a manager. 

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sandy Clark. A rather bizarre appointment.

Aye, but when you're desperate, you're desperate. There wouldn't be too many willing to put their reputations on the line, by risking taking someone else's side into the Lowland League.

Here's hoping he can shake the players up a bit.

44 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Aye, but when you're desperate, you're desperate. There wouldn't be too many willing to put their reputations on the line, by risking taking someone else's side into the Lowland League.

Here's hoping he can shake the players up a bit.

I actually think there would be a number of young coaches interested in your job, but concede it might not be the time to try someone untested, I'm just wondering if Clarks time at this level is long up. Hope it works out and Rovers stay up.

Any rumblings of something going on behind the scenes? From an outside perspective, to hit what looks like the panic button after losing to Bonnyrigg and to end up with Sandy Clark (East Stirling - vanishing without trace in the league below) seems likely to be a fatal misstep. 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He's 66 and not a particularly good manager, hence why he hasn't been one at this level since about 2004. 

He was Rovers assistant manager 2014-15 when we won L2 Title and he did that effectively running the dugout with Darren Young as mainstay on the pitch as player manager. Personally I think he’s a good coach and maybe just maybe a different voice and a shake up in training might be enough to claw us back from disaster.

Sandy Clark was actually doing an alright job at the Shire, re-shaping the squad and making them much better organised / hard to beat after Derek Ure's long overdue dismissal last year. Yes Shire had a poor season but could have been much worse.

Hope for Rovers that it works out, can't believe that they fluffed their lines in consecutive games against Bonnyrigg & Stranraer.

14 hours ago, The Moonster said:

...I'm just wondering if Clarks time at this level is long up...

In a John Brogan sort of way. Think people are a bit too fixated on it being Albion Rovers vs Bonnyigg Rose to be Club 42. Elgin City's recent form is dire so they need to be taken into consideration as well.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

In a John Brogan sort of way. Think people are a bit too fixated on it being Albion Rovers vs Bonnyigg Rose to be Club 42. Elgin City's recent form is dire so they need to be taken into consideration as well.

I don’t think Brogan and Clark are comparable. Brogan was a bonkers appointment, he hadn’t been involved in the senior game for about 20 years before getting the call and of course his philosophy of signing Juniors from 3rd 4th tiers got the treatment it deserved.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think people are a bit too fixated on it being Albion Rovers vs Bonnyigg Rose to be Club 42. Elgin City's recent form is dire so they need to be taken into consideration as well.

This was the drunken chat on Saturday night. We pay Elgin at home in 2 weeks. Another 66 pointer. 

On 29/03/2023 at 11:42, LongTimeLurker said:

Elgin's two games in hand also in the mix.