The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

10 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

What a week for Brian Reid - from beating the league leaders 5-1 away to getting the boot!

Been the story of our season. That’s  a decent young Rovers side there but too many false dawns. Two back to back 4-0 wins after New Year (one at Stair Park) followed by a slump. 3-0 home win against Elgin followed by defeat and then of course 5-1 win over Dumbarton followed by losing two 6 pointers. I’m not confident in the Board of Directors tbh, in fact shitting myself we’ll give Michael Paton the job who masterminded Brechin’s relegation to the Highland league.

7 minutes ago, GoldenNuggets_YeeHaa said:

Surprised with that at this stage of the season. Too many 1-0 losses at home though.

There's enough managers got booted who weren't bottom, so going bottom being the last straw isn't really that surprising.

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Been the story of our season. That’s  a decent young Rovers side there but too many false dawns. Two back to back 4-0 wins after New Year (one at Stair Park) followed by a slump. 3-0 home win against Elgin followed by defeat and then of course 5-1 win over Dumbarton followed by losing two 6 pointers. I’m not confident in the Board of Directors tbh, in fact shitting myself we’ll give Michael Paton the job who masterminded Brechin’s relegation to the Highland league.

Agree with nearly all of this but wonder about the decent young side bit. You attend far more games than I do, but I've seen little quality. I'll not point at individual young players but yesterday I saw them cave in, at home, to a team below them in the league at the start of play.

One of the joys of supporting the Rovers, over the decades, is seeing players emerge and identifying one or two with a future in the game: someone with skill and attitude. It's years since I've seen that.

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

I don't think you'll find any Sons fan who isn't shocked by your last two results and of course the sacking; your first-half performance last Saturday was really impressive.

I'm figuring that the Rovers Board maybe has someone in mind to take over ASAP otherwise it looks a risky move, or perhaps there was such a difference of opinion with Brian Reid that it came to a sudden decision.  Who knows ?

Anyway I truly wish you well, like several of us it's a grim shift living in the permanent shadow of the arsecheeks.

3 minutes ago, Albino Rover said:

Jim McInally could be the experienced leader the Rovers need to turn things around in 6 games.

Or he could be the man who got 2 clubs relegated in the same season.

Gets my vote.

I think of Jim as a safe pair of hands. Some up in Peterhead might disagree though.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Reidy is a good guy. Hope he's back in football soon.

Yeah, I'd second that. Always very frank with supporters, and in after-match interviews.

I also don't like this tendency some supporters have to kick ex-managers when they're down. We have a few that are describing Brian as a disaster etc. which just isn't true or fair. It hasn't worked out this season, and we've done the right thing in moving to change things at this late stage, and Brian should therefore be thanked for his efforts and wished all the very best.

Time is of the essence here, and the aim needs to be to have a leader in place for our next training session (Tuesday, I reckon). I hope our board are capable of doing that, and the situation doesn't drag on unnecessarily. If it means Michael Paton being the only candidate available in that timescale, as he's already there, then we might just need to suck that up and pray for a 'dead cat bounce'. A more considered appointment could then follow in the summer

9 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

We would have been as well sticking with Reid unless they have someone better lined up. The Paton option is unattractive.

Yeah, we are where we are though. Here's hoping there is a plan, and more importantly, one that can be executed in a couple of days.

You often get opposition fans coming on here when a manager is sacked expressing surprise. We had the same thing with Stephen Swift. But, here we go, I am surprised at this. Given the lack of financial resources, I felt that Reid was doing a decent job. Reality is that I think 8 out of 10 could still finish bottom. I understand why they’ve done it, but I feel that there is a degree of panic stations about it; for me Reid has done a decent job. They might be bottom this week but they might not be bottom next week. It is so tight.

I've heard a few people saying that Albion rovers are not nearly as bad as their league position suggests and I've certainly been pretty impressed with them in the games I've seen v Stirling. In Charlie Reilly they have the divisions brightest star too.

So it's an odd move. 

You need to hope that there's a plan there and someone is earmarked to come in - rather than a knee jerk reaction or big falling out.  Good luck anyway. 

13 hours ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Yeah, we are where we are though. Here's hoping there is a plan, and more importantly, one that can be executed in a couple of days.

What’s the point in sacking a manager at this stage if there is not a plan.

It’s hard not to sympathise with a Rovers manager where the budget is small. Reid was ok as a manager and managed to steer us clear of the drop the last two seasons but we had no fight. The last two games where you would aim to take 4 out of the 6 points- to take zero is horrific. The few names kicking about Danny Lennon, Stevie Aitken, Allan Johnston/Sandy Clark. I would be happy to skip a generation and go for Mick Dunlop or Ciaran Donnelly. Our Board normally have a 3 man committee to decide but we simply don’t have time for that. 

On 26/03/2023 at 22:10, Nigel Blackwell said:

Reality is that I think 8 out of 10 could still finish bottom.

It's still technically possible but it would take an utterly freakish set of results for East Fife to finish bottom now. We'd need to be overtaken by 7 sides in 6 weeks, which would require Stirling, Dumbarton, and East Fife to lose almost every game they have left and for Albion Rovers and Bonnyrigg to win almost all of theirs each. And even then it'd still require none of the other five sides to have a very poor run in.

The odds of all of that would be astronomical.