The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

I totally and utterly agree standman, however I drove past Cappelow today visiting a site that I was going to and when I drove down the hill, under the bridge and saw the stadium, it brought back memories of various days that I have spent there. I then started thinking that if you didn't know that was a stadium, you'd probably drive past and think it was some kind of storage shed or factory or something like that, I didn't even see any advertise for the next game, strips etc etc. It must be a hard sell for officials of Morton & Albion Rovers to attract people along to the stadiums when they are the way they are. I like going to these grounds but I've been going since the 80's and had many a good day at Cliftonhill as well, but how do these clubs attract new fans in?? What are they doing to attract fans and also, how many are put off when they arrive (or look at Google images) and think WTF!!
As i  said, I do agree, but by clubs existing, it's not enough to get people going along. I share an office with someone from Greenock who's family are born and bread there and they are all Celtic season ticket holders, 3 generations, brothers and sisters, husbands and wife and all the kids go (think he said 18 in total) every home game. How do clubs like Morton and the others break that and get them to come to Cappelow or Cliftonhill?? I'm not sure you can, you have to think out the box but sadly, I think your facilities are a stumbling block as well 
We (stenny) are probably one of the best at trying to promote & get new fans along, young especially. If can get a few to stick around great but it's nyon impossible at times, I don't overly agree about the facilities tbh it's the product on the park being so bad at times I don't blame people for not coming back or staying.

I brought my nephew who was 12 to some games last year, the games were rubbish, he liked the abuse the ref got the best, this is the big problem, especially when there so much on TV/youtube with Man City etc. It's either in you or not.

You pretty much need to get very lucky, maybe get a big cup shock or some proper succes (like Arbroath) that a few got invested in and keep invested.

I hate the fact bus loads go to Glasgow but at same time I can't critiscise folk for not wanting to fork out money watching what I watch a lot of the time.

The Rovers I will argue suffer from this problem more than any other club in the country,

With the background coatbridge has, the town effectively being founded by Irish Catholic immigrants, the town still has a massive majority of people from a Catholic background.No matter what anyone says, this has always been played on by Celtic, and therfore there is a majority of people who support them.

It is also only 8 miles from the town center to Celtic Park, making it very easy to get to, driving, trains and buses. You can even walk to celtic park in 2.5 hours.

Coatbridge doesn't have a dislike for the Rovers, quite the opposite. People look fondly on them, but that's all they do, look.

It's hard but it's somthing they have become used to, it's accepted we will never have a regular massive support.

Very interesting posts these last few days, and totally feel Rovers’ pain (and other clubs as well) regarding fans overlooking their hometown club for glory hunting elsewhere.

Cowdenbeath fans can probably relate to this as much as anyone, although I make the reverse journey from Edinburgh to Cowdenbeath matches as often as I can, does that make me a misery hunter. 😆

It’s so disheartening knowing that hundreds and hundreds of fans in your town are regular attendees at games, but elsewhere, when they could be supporting their local club and ensuring their future.

I enjoyed my last trip to your fine old ground last season, Rovers fans were very friendly despite being a little concerned at that point we might catch them as we were on a rare little spell of wins at that point.  

Hope you can get off the bottom, long long way to go, all the best.

I thought we would end up winning this match. It was a travesty to come away with nothing from three matches we really should have won. Oh well; good to get off the mark at last. And what a super attendance: 1057! Bonnyrigg are a very welcome addition to the league fir sure.

Well typical Rovers isn't it.  Losing the opening matches by the odd goal  then getting a win where nobody else could.  I'm not even surprised. Well done.
I still think rhere is more to come, for the first 70 mins we really dominated the game, and for the full 90 really limited Bonnyrigg to very few chances never mind good ones.

I think if we keep playing the way we are there will be a time where everything clicks and we really give someone a propper going over.

5 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

I still think rhere is more to come, for the first 70 mins we really dominated the game, and for the full 90 really limited Bonnyrigg to very few chances never mind good ones.

I think if we keep playing the way we are there will be a time where everything clicks and we really give someone a propper going over.

I think you are more capable than you've been credited as being and will prove it.   A bad start doesn't mean an entire bad season is unavoidable.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 08/05/2020 at 21:10, roy of the rovers said:

Rovers have parted company with gaffer Kevin Harper. Appears to suggest he wanted more cash for players. Pretty near impossible in the current situation to guarantee that.

Bump.

Harper returned to management with Lochee Utd on Tuesday...

... and was let go today 😬.

Kevin Harper leaves Lochee United after five days (thecourier.co.uk)

Edited by HibeeJibee

12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bump.

Harper returned to management with Lochee Utd on Tuesday...

... and was let go today 😬.

Kevin Harper leaves Lochee United after five days (thecourier.co.uk)

Must admit that I am surprised that Harper has been out of the game for so long after doing, what I thought, was a fantastic job for you, when you consider what had been left for him to work with.

I just wonder if he is one of those people who are difficult to work with behind the scenes and maybe has a reputation as being so.

I work with a lad down here whose Grandad suppors Albion Rovers. Not in the best of health at the moment, so was looking to get him a scarf for Christmas. I've had a look online but not able to find anything, is there anywhere I could pick one up? Cheers!

On 22/11/2022 at 08:50, LondonHMFC said:

I work with a lad down here whose Grandad suppors Albion Rovers. Not in the best of health at the moment, so was looking to get him a scarf for Christmas. I've had a look online but not able to find anything, is there anywhere I could pick one up? Cheers!

surprised we dont have any in the online shop. could get him a bar scarf ? https://tinyurl.com/pbnx9ddy