The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

• 2 weeks later...
Are Rovers short on players? I see there's 12 trialists in the squad today
I think they are just generally looking at alot of players

As well as missing signed players,

From what I hear, 2 out injured, 1 our with tonsillitis and 1 on holiday

Lewis Kidd was one of the trialists who was with us before signing with Edinburgh last season

Charlie reilly, who was with us but hasn't signed yet was another

3 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Noticed Albion Rovers are 33/1 for the title and miles behind everyone else.

Has something happened to the club that's made them such rank outsiders?

Probably the fact Cowden fell through the trap door last season has elevated our chances of being club 42. Rovers tbf are always underdogs so we really wouldn’t have it any other way.

Noticed Albion Rovers are 33/1 for the title and miles behind everyone else.
Has something happened to the club that's made them such rank outsiders?
We are usually ranked outsiders,

Even the season we won the league we were 20/1 or somthing, even though we had a good squad

We have been favourites to finish bottom 3 years I'm a row now

On 12/07/2022 at 12:20, Chris_the_rover said:

We are usually ranked outsiders,

Even the season we won the league we were 20/1 or somthing, even though we had a good squad

We have been favourites to finish bottom 3 years I'm a row now

What’s the expectation this season Chris?? I actually thought you had a decent squad last year, and I think Reid is a decent manager, but I would GUESS you’ll be the lowest payers in the league, so is it simply a case of not finishing bottom or do you see yourselves kicking on from last year??

Well done Rovers , we should’ve been out of site but for decent saves and poor finishing it wasn’t to be and you guys kept going the whole 90 and got the rewards 

well done and all the best for the new season ahead 

• 2 weeks later...

Now showing on the club website, prices for the league campaign:

Adults £14 which is a £1 increase on last season

Concessions £10 (OAPs, Students, People not in work, 14-17yr olds) which is a £3 increase on last term

Under 14's £3 which is a £1 increase on last year

Carers Free

16 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Played his best football running at goal, but doesn't score enough

He got 4 v st mirren B in the challenge Cup, then only scored 4 in the league all season

Looked like a grafter from his first few appearances which is needed. Thanks for the view.

On social media at the weekend I was seeing Coatbridge CSC St James pics .

How does that feel ? Do you feel like you are fighting a losing battle ?

As a supporter of a provincial club myself  I get fed up at the hundreds who leave the area to watch Rangers and Celtic .

I also heard Susie McCabe on radio a few weeks ago encouraging folk to go to their local clubs, despite the fact she is a Celtic fan from Coatbridge ( although she may have moved there after becoming a Celtic fan as opposed to being born and bred in Coatbridge and being a Celtic fan- I don’t know )

Towns like Greenock, Hamilton and Paisley , to name but a few others , really suffer from folk bypassing their home town team to support Rangers or Celtic.

it’s hard to see how to stem the flow 

17 hours ago, standman said:

Towns like Greenock, Hamilton and Paisley , to name but a few others , really suffer from folk bypassing their home town team to support Rangers or Celtic.

I totally and utterly agree standman, however I drove past Cappelow today visiting a site that I was going to and when I drove down the hill, under the bridge and saw the stadium, it brought back memories of various days that I have spent there. I then started thinking that if you didn't know that was a stadium, you'd probably drive past and think it was some kind of storage shed or factory or something like that, I didn't even see any advertise for the next game, strips etc etc. It must be a hard sell for officials of Morton & Albion Rovers to attract people along to the stadiums when they are the way they are. I like going to these grounds but I've been going since the 80's and had many a good day at Cliftonhill as well, but how do these clubs attract new fans in?? What are they doing to attract fans and also, how many are put off when they arrive (or look at Google images) and think WTF!!

As i  said, I do agree, but by clubs existing, it's not enough to get people going along. I share an office with someone from Greenock who's family are born and bread there and they are all Celtic season ticket holders, 3 generations, brothers and sisters, husbands and wife and all the kids go (think he said 18 in total) every home game. How do clubs like Morton and the others break that and get them to come to Cappelow or Cliftonhill?? I'm not sure you can, you have to think out the box but sadly, I think your facilities are a stumbling block as well 

11 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I totally and utterly agree standman, however I drove past Cappelow today visiting a site that I was going to and when I drove down the hill, under the bridge and saw the stadium, it brought back memories of various days that I have spent there. I then started thinking that if you didn't know that was a stadium, you'd probably drive past and think it was some kind of storage shed or factory or something like that, I didn't even see any advertise for the next game, strips etc etc. It must be a hard sell for officials of Morton & Albion Rovers to attract people along to the stadiums when they are the way they are. I like going to these grounds but I've been going since the 80's and had many a good day at Cliftonhill as well, but how do these clubs attract new fans in?? What are they doing to attract fans and also, how many are put off when they arrive (or look at Google images) and think WTF!!

As i  said, I do agree, but by clubs existing, it's not enough to get people going along. I share an office with someone from Greenock who's family are born and bread there and they are all Celtic season ticket holders, 3 generations, brothers and sisters, husbands and wife and all the kids go (think he said 18 in total) every home game. How do clubs like Morton and the others break that and get them to come to Cappelow or Cliftonhill?? I'm not sure you can, you have to think out the box but sadly, I think your facilities are a stumbling block as well 

Everywhere I go people ask, "Who do you support?" and I'd say 90% of the time my answer is followed up by the question, "Aye, but... Rangers or Celtic?" The areas around Glasgow and the West are fighting an incredible battle to get new fans along. My brother and I are 3rd (possibly more) generation sons fans and I'll do what I can to bring my own up exactly the same. But, even within the Dumbarton support, there probably aren't many who don't have an old firm preference.

There's a certain pride about being one of a few hundred (less if you count fans of these wee teams who have absolutely no interest in the OF) as opposed to one of millions which I don't think Old Firm fans will ever really understand.