The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

Guest The Phoenix
1 hour ago, Vodka Vic said:

I gave up on all streaming services a good while ago not just Rovers. Someone will be better qualified to give a more upto date review. I found the camera work (pixelott) temperamental although I gather that has improved- the sound is a grinding echo and about 3 secs behind the live play. That’s nothing against the guys who give their time in providing the service in the first place .

Try tuning in on Tuesday 6 April. 

We don’t use Pixellot and I guarantee you a quality HD service. 👍

29 minutes ago, The Phoenix said:

Try tuning in on Tuesday 6 April. 

We don’t use Pixellot and I guarantee you a quality HD service. 👍

Cheers Phoenix - no offence it’s just I can’t watch football without fans- it’s just bollocks . I don’t watch MoTD or Sportscene. I get my kicks watching the Big Match Revisited when parks are like quagmires and you had to half kill someone to get a stern talking to from the ref 🤣

Guest The Phoenix
1 hour ago, Vodka Vic said:

Cheers Phoenix - no offence it’s just I can’t watch football without fans- it’s just bollocks . I don’t watch MoTD or Sportscene. I get my kicks watching the Big Match Revisited when parks are like quagmires and you had to half kill someone to get a stern talking to from the ref 🤣

None taken VV. 👍

I’m of a similar vintage. 

2 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

I get my kicks watching the Big Match Revisited when parks are like quagmires and you had to half kill someone to get a stern talking to from the ref 🤣

Oh it's great. Love Brian Moore

There was a game a few weeks ago, Spurs v Forest. Kenny Burns was on a one man mission to mutilate Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles. Eventually got booked. In the other two games a couple of  incidents with strikers going in late so the defenders just turned round and punched them square in the jaw. No fucks given. They did get red carded tbf 

16 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Oh it's great. Love Brian Moore

There was a game a few weeks ago, Spurs v Forest. Kenny Burns was on a one man mission to mutilate Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles. Eventually got booked. In the other two games a couple of  incidents with strikers going in late so the defenders just turned round and punched them square in the jaw. No fucks given. They did get red carded tbf 

Aye Kenny Burns kicked everything above the grass 🤣🤣 I love the commentary of Hugh Johns - the voice 🙌

No idea how good any of these boys are any more but good to see you make some attempts to strengthen the team. Cox is the definition of 'wears his heart on his sleeve', 'gives 110%' etc and, assuming he's still got the legs which given his PT business I'm sure he will, you'll love him for it. Not a great footballer whatsoever but a good athlete, gets stuck in, can get up and down the park, genuinely gives his all and should contribute a few goals. He's scored at Cliftonhill before so I'm sure he'll be fine in that regard [emoji6] 
I always hated Cox and have shouted abuse for the last 10 years at him

Hes exactly what our squad needs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2021 at 08:54, Vodka Vic said:

I gave up on all streaming services a good while ago not just Rovers. Someone will be better qualified to give a more upto date review. I found the camera work (pixelott) temperamental although I gather that has improved- the sound is a grinding echo and about 3 secs behind the live play. That’s nothing against the guys who give their time in providing the service in the first place .

Has it improved at all? Is there commentary?

41 minutes ago, Moonball said:

I still don’t use the service. From what I hear there have been improvements- the commentary itself gets good reviews only issue is it’s about 2-3 seconds ahead of the play on the screen

22 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

I still don’t use the service. From what I hear there have been improvements- the commentary itself gets good reviews only issue is it’s about 2-3 seconds ahead of the play on the screen

Thanks, this seems to be a issue affecting several clubs using Pixellot.

4 hours ago, Moonball said:

Yes, its better. No longer zoomed out so far and not following crisp packets or baldy linesmen nowadays. Audio can be a wee bit annoying as the commentators cheer the goal before the shot has been hit, but its much better than having nothing at all.

Commentary has been pretty good recently, A few folks had a go at doing it, but there's been a settled pairing of Ben Kearney and Sam Tennent recently and they're both pretty insightful and as fair as supporters are ever going to be (red and yellow specs)

Now I think about it, Stranraer's coverage is probably the best. Stirling's is good video-wise but the young commentators aren't great. QP is not bad too - they have replays like Stirling

5 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

1 point today or Brechin not winning guarantees our safety some difference in the team over the last 10 games

I don't see Brechin winning, although we are looking pretty tired now. Should be safe by 4.50, which is excellent and not something I expected when the season started back. I really did think Brechin would throw money at staying up, and i think to some extent they did, but it wasn't enough.

ETA: Brechin won't be winning today. They're not playing - doh!

Edited by Aloysius Snuffleupagus

Some difference - I honestly thought at this stage we would be still battling it out with Brechin ( I suppose to some extent we still are) . 
I’m assuming planning for next season has already started more than likely with the same manager. I’ll be honest I wasn’t overly sold on him - he was skating on thin ice after the cup debacle v Buckie. He’s in a reasonably strong position to demand a bit more money for the playing budget, to be fair he absolutely nailed the recruitment during the transfer window. I’m hoping the penny has dropped with the Board that you can’t put out an u-21 team and expect anything else than near the bottom. We’ll see let’s make sure of League safety first.

Credit to Brian Reid and the board for their recruitment over the restart. I thought Albion Rovers would be going to the last couple of games battling with Brechin to stay up, both teams were a mile off it before the restart.

One team still is but for Albion to be practically safe at this stage is some going and a relief to their fans I imagine.

4 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Some difference - I honestly thought at this stage we would be still battling it out with Brechin ( I suppose to some extent we still are) . 
I’m assuming planning for next season has already started more than likely with the same manager. I’ll be honest I wasn’t overly sold on him - he was skating on thin ice after the cup debacle v Buckie. He’s in a reasonably strong position to demand a bit more money for the playing budget, to be fair he absolutely nailed the recruitment during the transfer window. I’m hoping the penny has dropped with the Board that you can’t put out an u-21 team and expect anything else than near the bottom. We’ll see let’s make sure of League safety first.

Yeah, if he wants to stay he should be given the opportunity. I would rather he kept out the press though, but not sure if we can mandate that.

Budget-wise, it needs to be a smaller squad rather than a large one all on near minimum wage. The difference guys like McGowan, Gallacher and Sideserf have made is palpable

I was saddened and appalled to hear of the treatment David Cox received last night. Full solidarity with him and I hope he is getting the support he needs. Nobody should have to put up with such vile behaviour in any circumstances. Goes without saying but everybody at Airdrieonians sends their best wishes and support to David.