The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

8 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I came here just to find our what's going on? I knew they were having a bad season, but to lose 3-0 at home to lower league opposition is more than disappointing. The Cup was a chance to generate some much needed revenue. 

Are Albion Rovers facing an existential threat?

This result is nothing new for Albion Rovers - they needed a replay to beat Fort William last season and lost at home to Formartine the season before. They lost at home to North Juniors club Sunnybank in 2011, and that club went into abeyance at the end of the season. 

The lower league thing is a bit misleading - the pyramid is just coming together and there is considerable overlap at tiers 4, 5 and 6. East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers have survived relegation and the Lowland League is only going to become less of a financial drop from L2 as better supported clubs come in from tier 6. If Albion Rovers end up getting relegated then they ought to be fine, but I think Brechin will beat them to it.

27 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This result is nothing new for Albion Rovers - they needed a replay to beat Fort William last season and lost at home to Formartine the season before. They lost at home to North Juniors club Sunnybank in 2011, and that club went into abeyance at the end of the season. 

The lower league thing is a bit misleading - the pyramid is just coming together and there is considerable overlap at tiers 4, 5 and 6. East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers have survived relegation and the Lowland League is only going to become less of a financial drop from L2 as better supported clubs come in from tier 6. If Albion Rovers end up getting relegated then they ought to be fine, but I think Brechin will beat them to it.

Interesting post! Thanks.

I've always had a soft spot for Albion Rovers, especially since they were robbed by cheating officials at Ibrox. It'd be good to see them thrive.

56 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Interesting post! Thanks.

I've always had a soft spot for Albion Rovers, especially since they were robbed by cheating officials at Ibrox. It'd be good to see them thrive.

My best mate supports them, he still has night terrors about that game.

I like Cliftonhill and they're run by good people, but then so are most part-time clubs. Nobody is in it for the money at that level! 

8 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Are Albion Rovers facing an existential threat?

No, the club should survive finding its level, much like Shire have done and Berwick are having to do.

Obviously, we want to stay in L2 as long as we can but there is a sense of inevitability about the fact that are very strong set-ups to be found in the Divisions below us. However, as a supporter of the pyramid, I have no issue with that.

It wasn't a great result but as an Edinburgh City fan there's non Scottish League teams we could get that I'd rather avoid. I suspect only QP, Stirling and maybe Elgin if they get a home tie would be reasonably confident of winning. The rest of us L2 diddies are quite capable of fouling up.

On 27/12/2020 at 14:09, tamthebam said:

It wasn't a great result but as an Edinburgh City fan there's non Scottish League teams we could get that I'd rather avoid. I suspect only QP, Stirling and maybe Elgin if they get a home tie would be reasonably confident of winning. The rest of us L2 diddies are quite capable of fouling up.

This season, maybe. But we've been pumped out by Lothian Thistle Hutchie Vale and Devronvale in recent times, as well as taking a mammoth penalty shootout to beat Hurlford. So maybe it's just QP who'll feel reasonably confident of winning 😉 

24 minutes ago, Landry Zahanioni said:

This season, maybe. But we've been pumped out by Lothian Thistle Hutchie Vale and Devronvale in recent times, as well as taking a mammoth penalty shootout to beat Hurlford. So maybe it's just QP who'll feel reasonably confident of winning 😉 

I'll tell you after tonight!

• 2 months later...

No idea how good any of these boys are any more but good to see you make some attempts to strengthen the team. Cox is the definition of 'wears his heart on his sleeve', 'gives 110%' etc and, assuming he's still got the legs which given his PT business I'm sure he will, you'll love him for it. Not a great footballer whatsoever but a good athlete, gets stuck in, can get up and down the park, genuinely gives his all and should contribute a few goals. He's scored at Cliftonhill before so I'm sure he'll be fine in that regard ;) 

Well one thing Stevo will bring is a shooting on sight policy. He didn't really score normal goals for us. Usually belters. Ayr legend.
Had been playing with Troon until recently.

McKernon was with us for a bit as well when he was younger on loan from St Mirren. Did ok. Can't really remember much tbh

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bobthespider said:

What is the tv stream like at Albion

I gave up on all streaming services a good while ago not just Rovers. Someone will be better qualified to give a more upto date review. I found the camera work (pixelott) temperamental although I gather that has improved- the sound is a grinding echo and about 3 secs behind the live play. That’s nothing against the guys who give their time in providing the service in the first place .