The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

The Manchester United kit with the Rovers badge sewn over it seems to be the away top from 1980/83, here:
https://footballshirthistory.weebly.com/scotland-a-g/category/albion-rovers#

I’m sure they were still wearing as late as the start of the 85/86 season because I remember them wearing at first time I saw them at Berwick on the opening day of that season.

On 01/09/2020 at 12:38, Ivo den Bieman said:

As we're taking a walk through the undergrowth of Rovers' history, here's big Irvine Welsh in a Rovers top c. 1996.

The only football club to have a collection of contemporary short stories named after them- The Children of Albion Rovers. I still have a copy of the original book which was pulped for, er, legal reasons- the legally satisfactory one is still on sale. The original had pictures of all six authors involved, wearing these shirts.

This is definitely a primrose yellow top.

cadieqew4aauoxojpg.jpg

I worked in the club shop at time before this book was published. To cut a long story short- I got a desperate phone call from a woman looking for a Rovers replica top pronto! It was pre-season and a new design was due so there was zero stock left. She eventually came clean and explained what it was for so I ended up going straight to the ground and got a match worn top that was getting packed for pre-season training. The rest as they say ........🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 02/09/2020 at 12:06, Ivo den Bieman said:

The Manchester United kit with the Rovers badge sewn over it seems to be the away top from 1980/83, here:

https://footballshirthistory.weebly.com/scotland-a-g/category/albion-rovers#

I wonder what would have happened if Man U played using a Rovers strip with a Man U badge sewn over the top 🤣🤣

On 05/09/2020 at 10:47, Vodka Vic said:

I worked in the club shop at time before this book was published. To cut a long story short- I got a desperate phone call from a woman looking for a Rovers replica top pronto! It was pre-season and a new design was due so there was zero stock left. She eventually came clean and explained what it was for so I ended up going straight to the ground and got a match worn top that was getting packed for pre-season training. The rest as they say ........🤣🤣🤣🤣

Haha I knew someone would know that story at first hand! 

On 31/08/2020 at 21:05, Sergeant Wilson said:

Hardly anyone remembers, I often thought I had imagined it. Absolutely brilliant, I'm 100% sure there was no malice intended, but you'd think someone would have said something.

Did you wear them again?

It was only worn that one season . Must have been the time Mr Fagan ran a Sports shop 🤣🤣

Good point from Skeletal Spider re us losing players before they've even played for the first team. We saw a hint of Regan Thomson last year who looked a real star and he was still 15 in pre season.  Guys of 13 and 14 have agents now. At least we have a better chance now of getting a year out of them.

On 07/09/2020 at 19:09, Hampden Diehard said:

Good point from Skeletal Spider re us losing players before they've even played for the first team. We saw a hint of Regan Thomson last year who looked a real star and he was still 15 in pre season.  Guys of 13 and 14 have agents now. At least we have a better chance now of getting a year out of them.

Wrong thread, daftie

1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:

Strange question perhaps, but is there a good repository of old pictures of Albion Rovers matches?

A home shirt from 1992-1994 has come into my possession and I'd love to see it in action, but perusing google hasn't yielded anything.

From Season 1993-94 v Huntly. Checkout twitter @OldRovers for other photos from yester year

4C2F13D9-459A-4C4B-A2A9-B552D4555CDE.jpeg

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

Euan east anyone? Played on trial for us yesterday, seemingly at ayr also

Yeah, he's apparently looking for full-time football, having rejected our offer. I suspect that will mean quite a few trials and I'm personally not sure he'll get a full-time gig.

From what I've heard, he certainly lives his life the right way but I'm not sure I've seen anything from him that would suggest he would be a boon for a side outside the bottom divisions. That said, attitude and hard work can bridge the gap, and he shouldn't be found wanting on either. I suspect he probably regrets leaving now full-time Queens Park to come to us last summer, to be honest.

Certainly, I'd have him back and our new manager is on record as saying the same.

Euan east anyone? Played on trial for us yesterday, seemingly at ayr also
Decent player, as said above the manager has left an offer on the table if he wants it after he said he wants away,

Would be surprised if he gets full time tbh but a decent player.

Threw toys out the prqm at queens when he was told he wouldn't be 1st name on the teamsheet every week