The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

On 09/07/2020 at 09:11, GNU_Linux said:

Bryan Wharton has re-joined Pollok

I liked Bryan -an honest player. His main weakness though was having a solid game then f***ing it up in the last few minutes as he strolls about like the Kaiser. To be honest the defence was our achilleas heal last year I’m hoping Brian Reid is going to build this team from a sound defensive foundation.

20 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

I liked Bryan -an honest player. His main weakness though was having a solid game then f***ing it up in the last few minutes as he strolls about like the Kaiser. 

Yeah, Bryan seemed a decent big guy but he made at least one elementary mistake per game, and they often cost us. Pollok in the new WoS should be good for him, and I really hope he does well.

11 minutes ago, teekasule said:

any info on the lad ? cheers

He was a fairly highly rated central midfielder here and made a couple of appearances around Christmas time as an emergency CB. I was quite surprised we'd let him go as he'd been captain of the reserves. 

28 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

He was a fairly highly rated central midfielder here and made a couple of appearances around Christmas time as an emergency CB. I was quite surprised we'd let him go as he'd been captain of the reserves. 

thanks - sounds promising. certainly better than playing a few games for Lanark (no disrespect to Lanark btw) 

On 09/07/2020 at 21:59, Bold Rover said:

IMG_20200706_173124.jpgBirthday present. 

I see we share a birthday. Thankfully I never got anything quite so nauseating! In all seriousness that's a smart bit of kit though. 

Anyway, I'm here on business. Did Harlain Mbayo make much of an impression during his loan spell at the Rovers? I can't say I know anything about the boy but I hope he'll be another good addition. 

Best of luck for the season ahead! Hope it's an overdue good one. 

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I see we share a birthday. Thankfully I never got anything quite so nauseating! In all seriousness that's a smart bit of kit though. 

Anyway, I'm here on business. Did Harlain Mbayo make much of an impression during his loan spell at the Rovers? I can't say I know anything about the boy but I hope he'll be another good addition. 

Described as "a unit," the times I saw him he was rotten. Think he came to us on loan from Aberdeen and evidently wasn't going to make it there. A few years on, he may have improved. I've no idea where he's been playing - not SPFL, I think. 

8 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Described as "a unit," the times I saw him he was rotten. Think he came to us on loan from Aberdeen and evidently wasn't going to make it there. A few years on, he may have improved. I've no idea where he's been playing - not SPFL, I think. 

Aye a couple of our own fans said he hadn't been very good whenever they saw him play. Was playing for Truro City last season. He'll be very much a back up anyway as Sean Crighton and Callum Fordyce are very good centre-halves for that level and rarely, if ever miss a game. We've also got Josh Kerr in that position who's a cracking young prospect and has done well whenever called upon. So as a backup in a shortened season he shouldn't cause too much damage haha. The club have spoken highly of him though so maybe they'll be able to get something out of him. Having the physical attributes is a start at least. 

Was with Truro City in the Southern League Premier Division South last season

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I thought he was alright with us. We had a terrible defence at the time so the lad had his work cut out. Ended up injured at the 3/4 mark of the season and never played again - I don’t think he faced Airdrie in any of the time he was on loan to us.

2 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

He was a massive guy, strong as an ox

Had the heart of a mouse didnt have a brain on the pitch

Struggled to make simple passes at times

I'm sure his loan was cancelled early and he went back to aberdeen with a "knee injury"

Aye, he was pretty poor. We actually had two Premier League defenders when Mbayo was with us; the other was a big lamppost from Hearts who wasn't very braw either