The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

Huge upgrade on our last three managers, in terms of experience and, presumably, cost. I wonder how the Rovers are going to pay him?
Hope he does a job for you. He arrested our decline when we looked to be heading to the bottom tier and got us out of League One twice without really ever being backed by the board. Don't expect too many thrills and spills though. He's pragmatic to say the least.

39 minutes ago, placidcasual said:
22 hours ago, Bold Rover said:
Huge upgrade on our last three managers, in terms of experience and, presumably, cost. I wonder how the Rovers are going to pay him?

Hope he does a job for you. He arrested our decline when we looked to be heading to the bottom tier and got us out of League One twice without really ever being backed by the board. Don't expect too many thrills and spills though. He's pragmatic to say the least.

A series of 1-0 wins then?

Brian Reid has drawn the short straw and is the new gaffer at Cliftonhill.

That could be an excellent appointment by your board. Certainly someone with the credentials to do a good job at this level.

Explains a lot.

Asked for his reaction to the vote, a relieved Reid said: “It saves us a trip to Brora.

“I never realised how far away Brora is – it’s nearly up at John O’Groats. I was speaking to the chairman and the board the other day about that.

“It would have seen us leaving at 6am to get there for a Saturday game, so that would have been a long way up.

“No disrespect to Brora, I’m sure it’s a lovely place, but in terms of the geography of it, it would have been a long way to go and a lot of expense to the club to go up there.

“We’d have to get the bus, stop over for a pre-match meal somewhere. It would have been a bit of a cost.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/albion-rovers-gaffers-birthday-relief-22198675.amp

1 hour ago, WeAreElgin said:

Brora is what, an extra half hour compared to Elgin? Bizarre comment, and he's rightly being ridiculed for it.

Shit scared of having to play them more like, after drawing with Fort William in the Scottish Cup last year.

And being beaten at home by Formartine the year before.

Edited by welshbairn

Shit scared of having to play them more like, after drawing with Fort William in the Scottish Cup last year.

And being beaten at home by Formartine the year before.

Shit scared a bit much but why would any club in this division want Brora or Kelty in when the alternative is Stranraer.

Kelty are a maroon Gretna and Brora ain't short of a few quid either.

Makes zero sense for any league 2 club to vote them in.

Unfortunately when it would adversely affect my club I couldn't care less about hearts/partick/stranny

Affording a bus and a pre match meal should be a basic requirement of a professional football club. 
He’s maybe just made a throw away comment to a reporter but not a great thing to hear that he basically can’t be arsed or the club can’t be arsed going to brora.  Albion Rovers get a bit unfair criticism sometimes due to their ground etc but comments like this from a new manager hardly help. 

29 minutes ago, lobo said:

That won't happen for a long time, there is a fair chance SPFL will pull the plug on pyramid system again, as Brora said its a closed shop. 

There is absolutely no chance of that happening. We are where we are because of a global pandemic. If it was a closed shop, then Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers wouldn't be in the league. An absolutely nonsensical comment. 

Not to forget what Brora were saying in 2015.

"We’ve looked at all options and there’s no way we can avoid competing. We meet SPFL criteria for entry level so we can’t opt out.

“My personal thoughts are that I’d rather we stay where we are..." 

I'm glad it's convenient for them now. 

Edited by an86

Nonsensical comment?? It is clear the 2nd division clubs don't want change, don't want anyone else coming into their league and if you look clearly you will see Cove are not in the league they have been promoted despite the global pandemic. So if it suits go with it if it doesn't close the door on the pyramid. 

Oh and please remember about the cost of the bus. 

Edited by lobo

1 hour ago, an86 said:

There is absolutely no chance of that happening.

There are rumours floating about that L2 will use the excuse of a short 20/21 season to cancel the pyramid play offs again. Can't see many clubs voting against it, especially from L2.

Nonsensical comment?? It is clear the 2nd division clubs don't want change, don't want anyone else coming into their league and if you look clearly you will see Cove are not in the league they have been promoted despite the global pandemic. So if it suits go with it if it doesn't close the door on the pyramid. 
Oh and please remember about the cost of the bus. 
Clubs will always vote out of self interest.

The exact same happens in the Lowland league, there is only 1 automatic relegation place for a 16 team league.