The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

They claimed on "Off the Ball" today that the Coatbridge Paranormal Society says there are a number of ghosts at Cliftonhill.

This is nonsense as they were all exorcised in the mid 1980s by Vic Kasule who was well known for making spirits disappear.

• 2 weeks later...

Rovers have parted company with gaffer Kevin Harper. Appears to suggest he wanted more cash for players. Pretty near impossible in the current situation to guarantee that.

Statement from the club:

The Board of Albion Rovers FC wish to make an important announcement in respect of their manager Kevin Harper.

It is with regret that Kevin has left the club following the expiry of his contract.

The board of directors saw a great deal of potential in Kevin and were keen for him to extend his stay with us but we were unable to agree mutually acceptable terms.

The board would like to place on record our sincere thanks for Kevin’s hard-work, dedication and commitment to the Club, particularly ensuring the retention of our league status.

Kevin leaves the club with our best wishes as he continues his career away from Cliftonhill.

The Board will now start working to find a suitable replacement for Kevin and will be making no further comment at this time.

Would think the first aim on the budget Rovers are likely to have would be assembling a squad capable of staying clear of the drop? 

I was a critic, but I could see how Mark Roberts might fit the profile. I'm almost certain he'd take the job. He knows the level and it is certain that much of the Queen's Park squad that stated last season will leave the club. I think a great number of these guys would be interested in signing for a Roberts led Rovers. Combine them with the guys you retain and you'd have a squad that could compete. 

I found his spell infuriating, rather than completely disastrous. We won down at Queen of the South, beat Edinburgh City and smashed Berwick 7-1. Problem was we'd look great for a couple of weeks and then look a disorganised shambles for a few weeks. The defeat at Cliftonhill, which could and should have been four or five at half-time, being a prime example of how poor we can be. That's not to take anything away from Rovers btw, who were excellent on the day as well. 

There's also a recent tradition of ex-QP players, some of them not particularly fashionable, turning up at Cliftonhill and doing more than a decent job. Probably totally coincidental, but it feels like it always happens. 

It might be an appointment that would work and it might be a disaster. Can see how it'd make sense. A nice guy as well btw, which I considered one of his weaknesses. Maybe too nice for the hotseat.

Sad news for you guys about Harper who seemed a decent bloke and a decent manager. Given the fluidity of things at the moment, you would have thought he would have waited to see how things panned out, before making a decision but we don't know all the details.

a lot of interested parties for the job, I know of two one is at an amateur club the other just returned from the Nigerian premier league. 
Amateur Club sounds promising! Nah in all seriousness hope the rovers find someone who can wheel and deal and get the best out of the squad they have and whomever he might bring in.

13 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Hire David Robertson. He doesn’t want to go back to Real Kashmir apparently.. Would be a great appointment and would make another great documentary👍

He's applied at least once before. I'd give Joe McLaughlin first refusal on it; he at least knows the club

On 15/05/2020 at 18:45, Big T little t said:

a lot of interested parties for the job, I know of two one is at an amateur club the other just returned from the Nigerian premier league with Hamilton Accies money

FTFY

Hire David Robertson. He doesn’t want to go back to Real Kashmir apparently.. Would be a great appointment and would make another great documentary[emoji106]

If he’s still as useless as he was when managing the Mo you might want to hold that thought. Once signed 4 players the day before a Scottish Cup tie away to Deveronvale ... put them all in the starting lineup .. lost 3-2 having been 2-0 up with half an hour to go. Never saw 3 of them ever again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2020 at 21:18, Brazilianlex said:

Hire David Robertson. He doesn’t want to go back to Real Kashmir apparently.. Would be a great appointment and would make another great documentary👍

Apparently Robertson was offered the job but considered Coatbridge to be a bit more ropey than Kashmir.

Sorry, too hard to resist.

56 minutes ago, roy of the rovers said:

Brian Reid has drawn the short straw and is the new gaffer at Cliftonhill.

Huge upgrade on our last three managers, in terms of experience and, presumably, cost. I wonder how the Rovers are going to pay him?