The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

5 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

Any views on Ben Reilly? He's signed a shirt term deal with Kelty and saw he played a good few games with you guys last season.

Played for Cowden the season before last when we beat Cove probably average at best at this level.

On 26/08/2019 at 11:46, leomessi1984 said:

Any views on Ben Reilly? He's signed a shirt term deal with Kelty and saw he played a good few games with you guys last season.

Umm... he was a bit non-descript to be honest. He certainly was much better that the Brogan-era players he replaced but didn't really stand out. I;m surprised he's been picked up by a club of Kelty's promise and here's hoping he does well.

6 hours ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Umm... he was a bit non-descript to be honest. He certainly was much better that the Brogan-era players he replaced but didn't really stand out. I;m surprised he's been picked up by a club of Kelty's promise and here's hoping he does well.

^^^He's so kind and diplomatic. I saw Reilly twice (only) and both times he was shite.

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

^^^He's so kind and diplomatic. I saw Reilly twice (only) and both times he was shite.

😂😂😂

To be honest, players that in a normal season I would have described as shite got away with little criticism last season as they were totally eclipsed by others who should never have been anywhere near senior football. Reilly wasn't great but he certainly wasn't Paul McGeough, Graham Gracie bad!

48 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

😂😂😂

To be honest, players that in a normal season I would have described as shite got away with little criticism last season as they were totally eclipsed by others who should never have been anywhere near senior football. Reilly wasn't great but he certainly wasn't Paul McGeough, Graham Gracie bad!

Yes. I tried to indicate my infrequent attendance nowadays and realise that spared me much of last season's debacle.

On 27/08/2019 at 20:30, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

😂😂😂

I was the club second top scorer and left in December, played the equivalent of 6 full games and only scored 3 goals. Shit happens when you get no chances at that level, we were all shite! 😂

I was the club second top scorer and left in December, played the equivalent of 6 full games and only scored 3 goals. Shit happens when you get no chances at that level, we were all shite! [emoji23]
Yes I will give you that were all dreadful ( better than I would ever be my level was amateur)

But to be honest I remember you being given more than 1 chance, the fact you shrunk 3 or 4 inches when you jumped didnt help

21 hours ago, Grahamg034 said:

I was the club second top scorer and left in December, played the equivalent of 6 full games and only scored 3 goals. Shit happens when you get no chances at that level, we were all shite! 😂

I wouldn’t fault your own efforts for Rovers Graham. When it came down to fault I wouldn’t even blame the manager but the Director who made the appointment. The fact is you can’t make an entire team from Junior level and expect then to to rise up the the three or four levels to L2. The players simply weren’t good enough. Best wishes for the future.

I wouldn’t fault your own efforts for Rovers Graham. When it came down to fault I wouldn’t even blame the manager but the Director who made the appointment. The fact is you can’t make an entire team from Junior level and expect then to to rise up the the three or four levels to L2. The players simply weren’t good enough. Best wishes for the future.
That's a post, gracie is without a doubt the worst player ever to have played for rovers and your saying you cant fault his efforts?

He was lazy uninterested tried to blame other folk and that was ontop of his complete lack of talent

46 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

I would very much blame the manager. Ultimately, he's convinced the club recruitment committee that his strategy was the right one, although their desire to penny-pinch has caused them to accept that without engaging their brains so they're culpable too.

I wonder if Graham could confirm what John Brogan told him when he recruited him with regard to the players that he'd be playing with. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have said "I'm going to fill the squad with guys you were playing against last season with Larkhall" as Graham would surely have his own doubts about the likelihood of that being a successful strategy at senior level.

I'd also like to wish Graham all the best. I did the wrong thing singling him and Paul McGeouch out so fair play to him coming onto defend himself. As Graham himself said, he wasn't alone in that team in not being ready for senior football.

6 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

That's a post, gracie is without a doubt the worst player ever to have played for rovers and your saying you cant fault his efforts?

He was lazy uninterested tried to blame other folk and that was ontop of his complete lack of talent

Ooft! Shots fired! 😂

2 hours ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

I would very much blame the manager. Ultimately, he's convinced the club recruitment committee that his strategy was the right one, although their desire to penny-pinch has caused them to accept that without engaging their brains so they're culpable too.

I wonder if Graham could confirm what John Brogan told him when he recruited him with regard to the players that he'd be playing with. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have said "I'm going to fill the squad with guys you were playing against last season with Larkhall" as Graham would surely have his own doubts about the likelihood of that being a successful strategy at senior level.

I'd also like to wish Graham all the best. I did the wrong thing singling him and Paul McGeouch out so fair play to him coming onto defend himself. As Graham himself said, he wasn't alone in that team in not being ready for senior football.

Ooft! Shots fired! 😂

I would loved to have been a fly on the wall during Brogan’s interview. He was up front from the get go as to the signing policy. The appointment was shrouded in mystery and is up for debate as to who gave the go ahead. Either way the Chairman at that time should’ve resigned. Thankfully it’s all history now..

2 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Harsh. There are very few players I can say have not tried for Rovers. At the end of it all these guys who were no way equipped were offered a crack in the senior leagues which of course they were going to say yes.

5 hours ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Yeah, we don't really have someone who is truly comfortable at right back. Of course, if the constant chopping and changing at centre half continues, he may end up playing there.

I am assuming now that Krones has moved from the Antarctic to Mars  

Home is an okay right-back but lacks a turn of pace, which can leave him a bit exposed against quicker players or overlapping opposite numbers. He also doesn't offer much at all going forward - he was a mainstay for Clyde at centre-back in the early days of Lennon's reign until he picked up a shoulder injury, which ended his season, and he was much better there. He then hardly kicked a ball for Peterhead last season until Jamie Stevenson picked up injuries at the tail end of the campaign. I hope he gets on well at Rovers - a nice guy and a good performer for us during our transition from eye-bleedingly awful to excellent.

Edited by the_bully_wee