The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

8 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:
9 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:
Amazing comeback by Rovers even if our error has helped you a bit! Very much deserved in spite of that!

We are ahead of berwick without the 3-0 award now, Harper has worked wonders even if it took a while to click, not safe yet, hopefully secure it next week

Our 5-0 over them today helped too... :P

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

A coupon buster of the first order. If EC don’t go up you can maybe teach QP the secret of how to get goals against thememoji6.png

Proper day out next week now.

Rovers beat Edinburgh yesterday at their own game. Wasn't pretty - feels fkin magic!

Well played lads - really wanted you to survive this year. I don’t follow you that closely - where has 2nd wind come from? What was the turning point? I notice you have a couple of exotic names in your lineup - where have these guys from from (assuring they’re not local!)

Cheers

48 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Well played lads - really wanted you to survive this year. I don’t follow you that closely - where has 2nd wind come from? What was the turning point? I notice you have a couple of exotic names in your lineup - where have these guys from from (assuring they’re not local!)

Cheers

2nd wind / turning point came from two parallel events; the death of our goalkeeping coach (Michael Duke)and the award of 3 points from Clyde playing an ineligible player. The announcement on the latter was made on a Saturday morning and the team went to Stirling that afternoon and scrapped for a win wearing t-shirts with Michael Duke's face under their strips. Another two wins followed that one, and all of a sudden, we'd caught Berwick who have won one game in their last 20+.

As for the exotic names, we got two loanees in February who have arguably been our best players. Morena is an Italian from Brechin and the midfield organiser and hard man that we've been crying out for. Osadalor is a Nigerian from Queens Park, and an absolute machine of a striker who has now added goals to his hard work. Both guys are local though, as far as I know, having lived in Glasgow for a few years. 

2nd wind / turning point came from two parallel events; the death of our goalkeeping coach (Michael Duke)and the award of 3 points from Clyde playing an ineligible player. The announcement on the latter was made on a Saturday morning and the team went to Stirling that afternoon and scrapped for a win wearing t-shirts with Michael Duke's face under their strips. Another two wins followed that one, and all of a sudden, we'd caught Berwick who have won one game in their last 20+.
As for the exotic names, we got two loanees in February who have arguably been our best players. Morena is an Italian from Brechin and the midfield organiser and hard man that we've been crying out for. Osadalor is a Nigerian from Queens Park, and an absolute machine of a striker who has now added goals to his hard work. Both guys are local though, as far as I know, having lived in Glasgow for a few years. 

Thanks for the info.

Didn’t hear the news on your coach? What happened? What age was he? Dreadful news regardless.

Hope you get the result next week and can start your prep early for next season [emoji106]

8 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Thanks for the info.

Didn’t hear the news on your coach? What happened? What age was he? Dreadful news regardless.

Hope you get the result next week and can start your prep early for next season emoji106.png

Here's the programme article about Michael. 

MICHAEl DUKE obituary

1980-2019

We were shocked and saddened to learn of the sudden death of our goalkeeping coach Michael Duke, who passed away just hours after our recent home game against Berwick Rangers.

The 38 year old father of three joined Rovers last summer, after spending a decade in the junior ranks with Kilsyth Rangers.

Michael also had spells (as a player) with Armadale Thistle, and for a time helped out former Rovers boss John Brogan at Lanark. Such was his love of football, Dukesy ( as he was affectionately known) also helped to coach the Dunipace under 20s side during his time at Cliftonhill. Michael was held in great affection by everybody at Albion Rovers FC and he will be sadly missed. Our sincere condolences go to his wife, family and friends.

Below are just some of the tributes that have flooded in since the big man passed away.

‘Dukesy was more than a teammate, more than a colleague. He was a really good friend. He had a brilliant ability to make everyone feel at ease. I worked with him at Kilsyth Rangers and Albion Rovers and the one thing all the young players said was that it was Dukesy who was the first to talk to them, the first to help them settle in and reassure them when they needed support. He cared about everyone, he had such a big heart. I am absolutely devastated that he is gone. I will miss him so much and my heart goes out to Emma and the three kids. I just hope they can take comfort from the fact that Michael was loved by so many people ‘ - JD Peacock, club physio.

‘We are absolutely devastated. Michael was a great presence around Cliftonhill. I’d only known Michael for a short time but he was a great guy and a great presence to have around the club. He was helpful, always smiling and always had good banter with the lads. He was also very good at his job. Since I’ve come in Michael has been great working with the goalkeepers and was really upbeat. He didn’t just confine himself to the goalkeepers, he was very popular in the dressing room. My heart goes out to his wife, his kids and everyone who knew him ‘ - Kevin Harper, Rovers manager.

‘Its tragic and we can only imagine what Michael’s family are going through. We want to offer the family any support we can. We think of everyone at the club as our extended family. Michael was well liked by everyone. He was a friendly face around the club, and he will be very sadly missed’. - Eddie Hagerty, Rovers Chairman.

‘Devastating news has reached us that our good friend and former player Michael Duke has passed away. Michael enjoyed his testimonial last year after 10 years with the club, before moving on to a coaching career at Albion Rovers. Everyone associated with the club is gutted.’ - Kilsyth Rangers FC.

Edited by teekasule

6 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Thanks for the info.

Hope you get the result next week and can start your prep early for next season emoji106.png

Here's a link to an article on it. Nobody has ever said officially what occurred, and I assume that's out of respect for the family. Regardless, 38 is no age at all :(