The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

10k to Cash for Kids from limited funds must rank as one of the stupidest gestures from a Scottish football club since Celtic paid Bobo Balde more than 30k a week. Utter nonsense when faced with continually pish crowds and a stadium in desperate need of investment.

Still, that's in the past but I fear for Rovers if they don't retain their League status.

You can almost be certain that the banks will ask for the loans to be paid back pronto and overdrafts to be cleared almost straight away, should you lose your SPFL status. Is there a plan in action for that?
Clearing a debt frees up future cash and makes sense.

There's a feature on Albion Rovers in this month's "When Saturday Comes". McGlashan is alive and well in Coatbridge it seems:

"..'That's the man' exclaims one with delight in response to a friend's anecdote 'that's the man who was arrested for shouting abuse at a car just because it had an English number plate. There wasnae even anyone in the car!'..." 

On 11/01/2019 at 14:01, Ross Forbes said:

I see on Twitter that you've signed Michael Hardie. Presumably this Michael Hardie :lol:

https://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/14134257.footballer-caught-by-cops-in-a-pool-of-his-own-sick-breaching-curfew/

We all make mistakes when were young .....Have you ever seen him play ?

Good wee player

13 hours ago, holsten said:

We all make mistakes when were young .....Have you ever seen him play ?

Good wee player

He is a cracking wee player. Strong with both feet, quick, tenacious, and bags of heart. if he's with us through some poor life decisions, then hopefully we can help him find his proper level; I suspect that is higher than League 2.

There was a few jokes on the way out yesterday than giving the boy another bottle of champagne as MOTM might not be good for him. I'm sure he's passed it on to his Mum though :)

On 13/01/2019 at 12:22, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

He is a cracking wee player. Strong with both feet, quick, tenacious, and bags of heart. if he's with us through some poor life decisions, then hopefully we can help him find his proper level; I suspect that is higher than League 2.

There was a few jokes on the way out yesterday than giving the boy another bottle of champagne as MOTM might not be good for him. I'm sure he's passed it on to his Mum though :)

Morrison in goal again on Sat? And any idea who the #3 was? :)

12 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Morrison in goal again on Sat? And any idea who the #3 was? :)

Yeah, P.J was released by Motherwell at New Year, and is apparently playing as a trialist in the hope of getting a full-time club.

No idea on #3, but will post it here once I know.

7 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Can't remember 3 name apparantly was over in America for a while and had a cracking game last week for the reserves

trump.jpg.9e299dc0443ba54c1036f88ca7078c7d.jpg

Be President or make Rovers great again? It's a no brainer, it really is, folks. By the way I'm going to build a bigger wall around Cliftonhill and make Airdrie pay for it!

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I know he wasn’t at Cliftonhill for long, but how did Lewis McLear look for you guys? We’ve just announced signing him tonight, must admit, when he was on loan from St.Mirren about 3-4 years ago, he looked a player.

He works hard enough and Brogan did play him out of position as a lone striker quite often. He's not the man to carry a struggling team though, although I doubt Messi could carry ours.

Our new manager clearly doesn't fancy him so here's hoping he makes it with you.