The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

3 hours ago, teekasule said:

Joe McLaughlin.

A great defender in his time , was he player/coach at Clydebank at one point? I hope he sorts our defence out although Franco Baresi would have his work cut out with that lot. Anyway we need another couple of defenders .

22 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I know you got beat yesterday but any sign of improvement at all?

We have signed Gerard , a spanish  student who has been a breath of fresh air and Robert Jones - big striker in the John Gemmell mould - so that is an improvement. Also had PJ Morrison in goals on losn from Motherwell- this lad will do well in the future.

Midfield and defence is way off I'm afraid. We need a Gerry McLaughlin type like QP have IMO .

It's a difficult one - the mood about the place is of quiet resignation that 10th spot is ours with a good chance of losing the relegation playoff.

Alright lads, I recorded a podcast with erstwhile Rovers captain Mick Dunlop and I reckon you'll enjoy it.

CLICK

He said his four years at Cliftonhill were the best of his career and he talks really fondly about his time with the club - the cup runs, the big games, the titles win, his team-mates etc. I think this is the best interview we've done so far. Crack on!

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2018 at 18:33, Francesc Fabregas said:

Alright lads, I recorded a podcast with erstwhile Rovers captain Mick Dunlop and I reckon you'll enjoy it.

CLICK

He said his four years at Cliftonhill were the best of his career and he talks really fondly about his time with the club - the cup runs, the big games, the titles win, his team-mates etc. I think this is the best interview we've done so far. Crack on!

Just made it to the end of this wonderful trilogy! I trust the Pele production team kept Cesc and Mick supplied with ample coffee to get through that.

At the risk of boring anyone who reads these columns: the biggest mistake the Rovers made in 2017 was letting Mick go. We should have been sorting him out with a player-coach role and possibly we'd be in a better place now.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

BBC gave the crowd v. Annan as 145, that can't be sustainable, even to keep it going this season, never mind beyond. What's the plan?

There doesn't appear to be one and, even if one were to materialise, it would have to come alongside some not-insignificant capital. It's hard not to feel for Rovers' fanbase, who deserve a hell of a lot better than watching their team go down the pan, but the club itself had an exceptional chance to secure its mid-term future in 2014 and instead decided to piss its cup earnings away to earn a fleeting stay in League 1. 

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

There doesn't appear to be one and, even if one were to materialise, it would have to come alongside some not-insignificant capital. It's hard not to feel for Rovers' fanbase, who deserve a hell of a lot better than watching their team go down the pan, but the club itself had an exceptional chance to secure its mid-term future in 2014 and instead decided to piss its cup earnings away to earn a fleeting stay in League 1. 

Did they though? They built a much needed terrace that went on to accommodate  the bigger crowds in the third tier. Should they not have bothered doing that or indeed winning League Two in 2015? Should they not have shown ambition in signing Alan Trouten? I think it's fair to say that the rot set in when they lost the Dunlop brothers in central defence. They were never properly replaced. Had they stayed, they would likely have been comfortable last season. 

17 hours ago, Owsley said:

Did they though? They built a much needed terrace that went on to accommodate  the bigger crowds in the third tier. Should they not have bothered doing that or indeed winning League Two in 2015? 

I'm afraid the Clyde fan is the closest to the mark here. The Rangers earnings went mainly on wages to obtain and then maintain League One status. The terrace was built on donations, both material and labour.

The Celtic game was different; the money had been pissed away by then and more with it, so it went on clearing debt.

`The Celtic game was different; the money had been pissed away by then and more with it, so it went on clearing debt`

not all of it by far .... the club are still saddled with that crazy loan from Shawbrook Bank at 30% plus interest which wont be paid off until 2020